Its Time To Move Out Of Buildbox

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by mrqwuyx, May 17, 2021.

1. mrqwuyx

mrqwuyx Avid Boxer

Hi All, @TreySmith @Hue Buildbox @Sean Buildbox @Mike Seavers

Recently the buildbox redesigned their billing plans, check it here.

https://signup.buildbox.com/plans

Buildbox is planning to introduce REVENUE share on Paid plans, this is UNACCEPTABLE, revenue share on free plans is fine like what unity does, but REVENUE share on paid plans!!!

https://www.buildbox.com/rev-share-details/

I have subscried to paid plan in march this year and now they want money from me and share from my earnings as well, how greedy is apponboard.

I think its time to leave buildbox completely

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  2. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

I hope they will reconsider this. Because what I see is unacceptable.
    They said on twitter they were planning something big for us, I hope this is not it.

3. mrqwuyx

mrqwuyx Avid Boxer

Hi All, we need to stop this, please pitch in and share your opinion

Green Fennec Studio, vvfg and Andy P like this.
  4. gheorghe9512

gheorghe9512 Boxer

I think it's crazy,
    First of all, this decision is not correct, why do we pay the subscriptions then?. Who does such a thing, I'm sorry to hear this news, it makes you leave Buildbox, plus it will reject new users to try Buildbox, instead of focus on product development people expect new features, we receive paid Buildbox templates, and horribles package changes.

I started with Buildbox 1 I'm offended by what I see now

5. vvfg

vvfg Boxer

Yes I totally agree with you. I was old member of buildbox when the plans were good. But stopped using for 1-2 years. Now I want to rejoin buildbox . I was trying to purchase it today but I was their HORRIBLE PLANS.. THEY'VE BECOME REALLY GREEDY.. THEY NEED TO STOP THIS.. Otherwise we will start using Unity.. At least they don't take our revenues..

As a gaming community... guys we need to give them a serious answer.... What we can do is REPLY THEM ON TWITTER and tell about their horrible plan and PUT COMMENTS ON THEIR EVERY YOUTUBE VIDEO and start disliking that..

When we gamers come together... then they have to pull this stupid greedy plan back...

Andy P and mrqwuyx like this.
  6. mrqwuyx

mrqwuyx Avid Boxer

How greedy Buildbox has become, miss u trey and nick

Green Fennec Studio, vvfg and Andy P like this.
  7. simone

simone Boxer

I like Buildbox and talk about it well with other developers, but for professional use this new type of subscription is wrong, or you pay a subscription and leave the revenues to the developers or make buildbox completely free and put a percentage on the revenues.
    If we also want to talk about the percentage that remains to the developers of 30% completely out of the market.

I hope you seriously think about going back and aligning yourself with the other competitors, if not I think developers will not continue to develop with buildbox for the next few years

Green Fennec Studio likes this.
  8. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

I guess I pity people who didn't get masters collection, we never have to pay for subscription we get it free for life. But we did have something that couldn't be used for 3yrs. For me I've never made any money out of games no matter what software I use, it just a hobby that I enjoy for free. I got disillusioned when I made a game for googleplay and all these people wanted me to pay for bumping up my rating with these mass of fake accounts, I don't know if it's still done this way. So all I'll say is the best of luck to you trying to make a living out of games, hope you succeed!

9. simone

simone Boxer

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Boxer

While I was initially happy that I purchased the Masters Collection, what happened to all of the products that were associated to it? Voxelbox, Soundbox, AnimationBox, PixelBox... whatever happened to them? MC was NOT cheap and it feels like there is no real direction for the product after all these years.

11. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Yep, I'm one of the people that went all in on the MC collection. It's been great (minus the constant crashes and the awful Android performance), but this revenue split is the last nail in the coffin. Buildbox really dropped the ball here and it's very disappointing.

12. Charles Rozén

Charles Rozén Boxer

With this new priceplan i am going to delete this app on my computer and i hope evryone will do the same. This kind of greed reaches a new level and make me sick. i hope other companies learn from Buildbox mistake on how you scare customers away.

13. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

They have to take out that revenue share for the MC owner as we don't have to give them a cent, it's in the contract we get to keep 100% of we earn. This is worrying and the first sign of a company going belly up, when they have to do stuff like this. I really hope they can keep going !

Jackazoid likes this.
  14. mrqwuyx

mrqwuyx Avid Boxer

Today got another mail from buildbox regarding Buildbox World, its just gimmik and a way to implement rev share, also not that its a rebranded version of Buildbox cloud (export to android, ios and others in cloud)

Stop this and continue the BB2 and BB3 as it is now, try to make the BB2 and Bb3 stable and try to add new features rather than adding gimmicls and your greedy rev share plans

15. Marclb

Marclb Boxer

Just heard about this through a YouTube video that had already 13k views after only a day of being posted. I could understand a rev share if Buildbox had added a real benefit that helped market games made with Buildbox, but just adding something like this with no real benefit and making it non-optional for paying users is insanely stupid.

I can tell you guys that pissing of paying customers is the best way to lose all your business. You don't need a business degree or consultant to know/tell that... While I doubt that most people have single apps that meet the threshold for the pro version, you will probably lose more money trying to implement this than you will ever gain. You will also have a harder time getting new users to signup which is what will ultimately kill your business. Hence, expect issues in retaining pro users and an inability to attract new ones.

"Games published with ad monetization under all plans will be required to implement third-party monetization mechanisms selected by AppOnboard (“Preferred Providers”). You are responsible for complying with the terms and conditions established by the Preferred Providers, which can be found <<here>>. Buildbox Pro users may also implement other third-party ad networks in addition to the Preferred Providers and are responsible for complying with the terms and conditions established by such networks."
    Reading the fine details is what pisses me off the most. Buildbox will now force the usage of their own ads (AppLovin) even on pro users!! So, are we going to be forced to use AppLovin even if we have paid apps?

Guys, your competitors are charging much less than you and some of them have codeless options with more capabilities and better support... Some are already trolling you by offering any Buildbox user 6 month free access.
    Why would anyone ever pay a premium for Buildbox pro and then also want to share revenue with you. Just apologize and back off.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Green Fennec Studio likes this.
  16. browndalmatian

browndalmatian Boxer

I stepped away from gaming dev for a little bit, focusing on other projects. Decided recently to get back into it. With all due respect I am reconsidering, or at least reconsidering using BB now (and I've been using it since 2016).

17. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

As I've mentioned before on another thread, this will likely result in the downfall of Buildbox. This unexpected, the moment you start to think the Buidbox team is going on the right path, bringing back BB 2, decent updates, and then they decide to do this...
    Buildbox had a pretty good marketing team, I mean we all do recall @TreySmith, he did a great job in that department, and he had a clear vision for his business model and the future of Buildbox. Man, I'm really afraid that Builbdox's best days are now in the past, hopefully, I'm wrong this time.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  18. cbfirman

cbfirman Boxer

check this video from gamefromscratch, its really funny. They tell the truth about buildbox.. lol

19. simone

simone Boxer

Please buildbox come back!!!

All the developers I know are against these buildbox choices and those who did not know buildbox before, now know it for these revenue choices and you think they will try to use it for professional use.

This is one of the last tweets I've found, that talks about buildbox

https://twitter.com/KenneyNL/status/1395564957748637697

And now Playcanvas after Construct offers one year of subscription

https://twitter.com/willeastcott/status/1395761338790596610

Please buildbox come back!!!

20. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

The only rational explanation I can see for this is that they're in financial trouble. I love this product but I saw the downfall of Corona SDK (LUA based engine) once it got sold on from the original visionaries and I worry this will happen here too.

If BB/Apponboard were telling us that they've setup (or partnered) to offer a full blown publisher service (if we opted in to that) then I think that would be a really positive step and there would be reason to have revenue sharing. If BB was completely free (no tiers) then revenue sharing model would be more understandable. It's a sad turn of events.

There are more videos describing this move as weapon grade stupid here:

Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity eh Apponboard?