Question Bout Buildbox Games

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Charles Rozén, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Charles Rozén

Charles Rozén Boxer

Something i have noticed but i dont know if i post in the right place. My current phone is a Ulephone power 5 and it is a pretty good phone for its price. Its is a phone in 300 bucks price range. I can play alot of games on it and they work good with no lags.
    But i am currently making my own game and it is very simple. It cant get any more basic. Very simple objects and the character is a bouncing ball and the object are from buildbox itself. No objects have textures on them either. I have disabled shadows and optimized the atlas but still no difference.
    I have done evrything i can in order to optimize this game but its still unplayable.I think it would be a good idea for Buildbox to list what phones you need to to have to get these games running as smooth as possible. For being a product that is targeted for hyper casual games with its very basic graphics it shouldnt demand the latest phones. Dont get me wrong i like buildbox as an software it has never crashed on my computer and it runs smooth but exporting to android i wouldnt recomend to anyone.You should not need the latest android phone for these simple games.

2. Charles Rozén

Charles Rozén Boxer

So i am wondering. is it i that suck at optimization or do i need a better android phone?

3. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Android performance and expanded compatibility is high priority. Unfortunately it's not an easy solution, but we are working on it currently.

For now, I would recommend near flagship level devices for Android.

1- I would also suggest removing shadows from characters & all objects.
    2- Keep image size on the small side, then slightly enlarge to the size needed.
    3- Make sure to rebuild & optimize Atlases before exporting.
    4- Adjust render distances accordingly and adjusting the 'Next Scene Threshold' & Delete Scene Threshold helps as well.
    5- I recommend, if using third party 3D models, try not to use models w/high poly counts.
    6-

Josh (Nology Games) likes this.
  4. Charles Rozén

Charles Rozén Boxer

I have optimized the atlas,removed shadows but i am uncertain on "Next Scene Threshold' & Delete Scene Threshold". Well atleast you are working on it but this is frustrating.

5. StradMan

StradMan Boxer

basically u can only play bb3 games on high end phones because anything less won't handle and lag becomes an issue. this eliminates a majority of your potential players (kids who can't buy a high end phone). my games got mixed reviews all of those with 1-2 stars complaint of lag or slow gameplay. its a big issue that its not being brought to light as much as it should. I like BB but its like false advertising if you know what I mean. hopefully this improves soon if not I will just cxld.

6. Charles Rozén

Charles Rozén Boxer

Yes i can understand what you say and i understand your logic. My initial thoughts about Buildbox is that i like their approach about being simple to use and being user friendly. I like being able to make something fun with simple graphics but i also wanted to be able to reach those with budget phones because majority of us dont have the high end phones like you say.Imagine if they worked so our games also could reach those with not the latest phones?That would be awesome.