Enemy tracking Hero?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by ajcoryat, Dec 14, 2015.

1. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

Is there a setting whereby I can get an enemy tank turret to track the movement of the hero character?
    Top-down view.
    I know I can link a turret to a base of the tank so that it can turn, but how can I get it to follow the hero?
    Some kind of magnet action.

2. Cidstyles

Cidstyles Boxer

I don't know, but I am interested by the answer !

3. jarred_smith

jarred_smith Boxer

Could you use a connector from the turret to the character, and then set the turret to wake up somehow on distance based setting? Not really sure if that would work as it would always be connected, but maybe something along those lines. If you could somehow attach a trasform logic to the screen that changes the position or transparency once the character or turret hits it to activate the turret... not sure.

4. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I could use this right now actually, did you find a way to do this?

5. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

Unfortunately, I haven't solved this task.

6. heathclose

@Andy , is this possible?

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I don't really know, but I'm suspecting not.

8. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

In Project Mayhem there was a setting to have enemies shoot at the character... no matter where the character was, the enemy bullet would fire at the character... @Andy any chance this feature comes back to BB2? :-D

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Possible we could do that by expanded the ability of the magnet, or something else similar. Not on the current near term plans, but will keep it in mind.

Jamie and JoeWilson like this.
  10. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I haven't dived completely in to Buildbox 2 yet, so I don't know if it still allows for logic blocks, and if it does, I think the only current option would be to use logic blocks in creative ways to move the enemies. For example, one way might be to make specific paths that the character can and cannot travel, and then place logic blocks that would enable the tank enemy to also travel there.
    Perhaps another way is to create a square perimeter of logic blocks (each one makes the tank enemy move when the tank collides with it) that connect back to the character, and as the character moves, enemies move certain ways as well, perhaps shooting at the character the whole time.
    I cannot remember if bullets can be moved with logic blocks, but if they can, maybe some ricochet effects would work, like bullets bouncing off of stuff and maybe hitting the character that way?

11. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

If they made it so PATHS are attachable to player then we could. Then as you got close to enemies they would be effected and start heading toward player. Adjust speed so as you run away they dont get closer but remain same speed as you. Or not. Either way it would allow for enemies to target player.

12. alexnestor

alexnestor Boxer

Here is an idea: invisible object connected with an enemy object. Set object to WAKE UP by a really short distance based with character....Set a specific Linear velocity. Put a path from that point to where the character will go (if you have a specific destination of a character of course) ntanaaa.... You have an enemy going on alert mode when you pass from there and following character

AppNasty likes this.
  13. heathclose

you could "fake" this with weak paths and spawned enemies with random attributes

AppNasty and tite like this.
  14. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

But to get enemies to chase you in say a free roaming scene wouldnt be possible unless you could connect paths to players. Obviously they can make tracking in BB. prolly on their list. it would open up for a whole slew of new game types.

15. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

Project Zero had a feature where you could set the sensitivity of when the enemy attraction would start.

+1 for the feature to be in BuildBox some day

AppNasty likes this.
  16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Ah, the nostalgia!

Collin Wade Thiessen likes this.