Next And Delete Scene Threshold. What Exactly Are They?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Anthony Ayson, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Anthony Ayson

Anthony Ayson Boxer

Hi Guys,

Can't seem to find any documentation on the following options on the World Options:
    • Next Scene Threshold
    • Delete Scene Threshold
    On the Manual these are the descriptions:

Next Scene Threshold = Adding Threshold Enter a numeric value to specify a threshold after which the next scene should be created during a game session.

- No explanation what this numeric value stands for...is it distance? - The next scene is to be created after x distance has been reached? . So, if the player reached x distance the next scene will be loaded even before the player has reached the end object on the scene?

Delete Scene Threshold = Enter a numeric value to specify a threshold at which the previous scene, which the player has passed, should be deleted during a game session.

Does this mean that if I set the numeric value for the Delete Threshold to 100 ..it will delete the last scene as soon as 100 units of distance have been played on the current scene?

The default settings for these options are as follows:
    • Next Scene Threshold - 3000
    • Delete Scene Threshold - 1000
    So using the default values - The next scene will be generated as soon as I reached the 3000 units of distance on the current scene and will delete the previous scene 1000 units of distance into the current scene?

What would it mean in game performance if they are set with a high or low value?

My apologies if this seems basic, but am just starting out and can't seem to figure what these settings do exactly.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. brettclements

brettclements Boxer

I'd like to know too. But its hard to get any replies from these guys

3. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

Hello, sorry for the late reply, though I am happy to answer your question.

In your question you kind of already found the answer, it is all distance based. So delete scene threshold is distance behind you, whereas next scene threshold is in front. The closer these are to the player, the better the performance for the user. Fog is often used to hide the scene loading in. Hopefully this explains it for you.

brettclements likes this.
  4. brettclements

brettclements Boxer

Thanks Josh. Very much appreciated. So if you've only got four or five scenes, you could bring these down to 15 or 20? FABULOUS platform this BUILDBOX. Incredibly grateful somebody had the genius to do it.