How To - Toon/cel Shader Look

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by AppNasty, Dec 6, 2020.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

We all seen TapMen games reveal his advanced shader look in BB games which he says you must do in advanced 3D software. My method ONLY works for symmetric models. For animated models, like TapMen Games showcased, you have to wait for him to reveal how he does it. Can't wait for that. For now, you can at least do it for symmetric models. Can't wait to see what the Buildbox community creates! Enjoy.

Roberto P and 5petersonzachary like this.
  2. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Hey @AppNasty great tutorial. I just want to give you a quick side note that this can be done inside node map just by duplicating the 3d model and doing the same steps that you did here.

Well done!

AppNasty likes this.
  3. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Ahhhh nice. Didnt know that! Still waiting for TapMen Games to show how to use 3D software to do it for his animated characters. Now THAT will be cool. He wants to make a game with it first which is understandable. I asked him if his method was for sale lol. He said no. But that just inspired me to see if we can do it in BB itself. The downside is that his method will be way better as it will allow for animated objects to have the shader look. Cant wait for that tutorial. This will hold us over until he tells us how its done lol.

5petersonzachary likes this.
  4. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

TO be honest what they achieve is due to compression of the baked image. I find to have the same effect when I used Cinema 4D and I baked the textures on a 512x512 or 1024x1024 size. It's by mistake in my opinion, and the effect can be seen only by zooming out to a specific distance. So what you can do to achieve it is just to bake the texture on cinema 4D on a lower rez size of 512 x 512 or 256x256 and you will see when you import them to buildbox.

AppNasty likes this.
  5. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Nice. That's only good for animated or asymmetrical models. As with my method you can do it inside BB. TapMen Games loaded up a guys model that did it from SketchFab. I guess he then picked it apart to see how it was done.

After I seen that he used the guys model, I downloaded it but couldn't figure it out. As it was made in Blender. So BB didnt show me anything about the model. Then I seen a guy post in Twitter chat how he did it using Billboards in BB which got me thinking. I've seen it before by accident but never experimented with it. So I did and found if you just clone the model and invert it, bam...shader look. But doing it how the guy from SketchFab did it, which is what TapMen is doing, is better because it allows for asymmetrical models and animated models. I think I can figure out how to do it within BB itself with animated models but only if they are symmetrical. We shall see. Exciting stuff in the BB community for sure.

6. iblicense principal

iblicense principal Boxer

7. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Do you have the actual video link from TapMan Games?

8. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

No. His was just a model from sketchfab but swapped with a diff model spinning in circles. Showing toon shading on a model (not in buildbox)

Apparently the SketchFab guy created a blender model using this his own method. I cant figure it out. That's why I started playing in BB and found a lesser but alternative way. I offered to give it to TapMan and he can post both his method and mine in a tutorial video whenever hes ready to make one. But he didnt want it as the blender method is way better.

9. iblicense principal

iblicense principal Boxer

AppNasty likes this.
  10. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

The idea is hood the question would be... When we will see a proper video on how we can do it from zero to buildbox especially with the 3d software or choice and export part... Anyway good luck with your games, I like the idea and it seems to fit well on buildbox

11. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Well you already shared more than enough to be able to create a video tutorial, for now I'll keep it low but maybe someday I will make the proper one.

ps: can't wait to see what you come up with this time

12. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Yep I will do that but before I move forward here's the proof of concept

13. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Oh and to everyone else here...thank you for helping me and IMPROVING my method. The cloning of the model in the nodes section vs how I did it is waayyyy better. I cant wait to see the community keep improving on this. Exciting.

14. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Dont leave. This doesnt have to be some end of the world thing. Let's keep the talk to PM and not on forums or in public if you want. Talking is the only way you and I will come to any agreement. And that's ok to do. I'm mad...you're mad...that's ok. You are one of the top devs here so definitely dont leave just because we have issues. If anything bothers you, just message me and we can talk it out.

15. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Oh and DELETED just as you did. Removed all chats from Twitter etc. And will remove from anywhere else. It's ok to get into a scuff every now and then. Dont let this affect you. BB community needs you here. Yous till have your method. Go make another hit game. You are probably one of the most talked about devs that use BB. You and Crevasse. Dont let me be the thorn in your side.