Launch Game Before Finished

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by LtgGames, Oct 20, 2020.

1. LtgGames

LtgGames Avid Boxer

Hi!

I´m making a game with five levels, but only level one is finished and ready to go. So my question is: should I launch the game with only one level available, and when I´m done with level two I just update the game?

Any thoughts boxers?

2. wmfear

wmfear Avid Boxer

I`d say that depends on the length of your one level. If it`s a short level, and people play through quickly, they`re probably gonna delete the game before any update. If the level is a huge one, they might keep it around for an update. That said, one level does sound very little...

LtgGames and jcalle like this.
  3. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

You always have to see the game from the user's point of view.
    If the game you create is to pass the time or is to spend hours in front of the phone.
    Platform games are very easy to create new levels, just change various settings or the location of enemies and the player will not notice.
    The more levels you create, the better for everyone.
    It is better to take 1 month to finish the game and to be successful, than to launch the game with few levels and try your luck.

LtgGames likes this.
  4. LtgGames

LtgGames Avid Boxer

To be clear - when I speak of "levels" I mean "world". I have 15 levels in my first world. But I quess you are right, I will try to make at least one more world. But I´m beginning to be impatient ...

5. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

I guess this will depend if you are looking to send the game to a publisher or run advertising tests. The one key takeaway from all publisher conferences,blogs,etc is that prototypes are the way to go for testing. These are games with small levels or random generated levels giving the player the impression of lots of levels to play over.

Rather than building out a massive game that flops, a small prototype will give you a chance to see if people like the game and if they do, you can build on it. Of course, passing a game like this through Apple App Store won't be easy, but Google Play don't have too many issues with prototyping.

6. LtgGames

LtgGames Avid Boxer

So is there a prototype-mode in App Store? Or is it just to launch it and call it "Beta"?

7. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Testflight is the App store version

LtgGames likes this.
  8. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

If you wish to sent the game to a publisher, you need to have at least 15 minutes of gameplay. So you can release with only one world. Just make sure that it’s not easy to finish the game in 15 minutes

9. LtgGames

LtgGames Avid Boxer

So a world with 15 random scenes defines as 15 minutes of gameplay?

10. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

No. Only the ability to play for 15 minutes defines 15 minutes of gameplay.

11. LtgGames

LtgGames Avid Boxer

ok cool, yeah you can play that level for eternity since its randomized. But I quess its a bit boring. My plan is to get people play world 1, and when they have collected enought coins, they can buy next world....