Change Language In Settings

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Malyssa, Jul 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Malyssa

Malyssa Boxer

I'm wanting to create a children's game based heavily on certain sounds playing when you touch an object. Issue is, I want this game to be available in multiple languages but all within the same app. Is there a way to set up a settings option where you choose your language and then the sound files associated with that are the ones that play? I know I could duplicate the world and just have the user choose a world based on what language they want to hear, but I am making this for very little kids who won't be reading what they click on, so I want the language to be able to be set by a parent and then the settings to be able to stay that way. I am thinking it would be possible to have a "world select" that looks like a settings menu where they choose the language but are actually choosing which world is playing, but I don't want them to have to do this every time they turn the game on.

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

I love the idea, and I love the fact that as I was reading through and thinking about what to type you were pretty much answering your own questions with exactly what I would’ve said. I do see the issue that would occur as you already pointed out.
    Best thing that I could think of is a checkpoint kind of setup.
    Basically, you have a start screen before the language (world) selection Menu. The user can click on the screen and it can load the last checkpoint, which would be placed after the language menu. If no checkpoint can be loaded it should just get to the next menu (language menu)

Malyssa likes this.
  3. Malyssa

Malyssa Boxer

I will definitely give that a try. It's only my second game, so I haven't quite gotten used to everything yet

4. Hanomax

Hanomax Avid Boxer

First UI should be language selecting menu. Depending of which language is selected, it saves value into Settings class.
    And script also check, if value is undefined, it shows this UI, otherwise it jumps to next menu, where game can be started.

And in assets, you can use script node, which checks, what is Settings.language value and fires signal to right input. And connect it with state machine and connect sound nodes with state machine.

5. mogychiy69

mogychiy69 Boxer

Wow, that sounds interesting. Any examples of such an implementation?
    Does it work ?

6. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Im thinking the same with languages but also a state machine for language check, is there a limit on how many languages do you want to use?

7. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Also is this on bb3 or classic?