GWON - Game WithOut Name

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by mojpoj, Dec 28, 2015.

?

What should I name this game? (Here's the short list, comment with ideas)

Poll closed Jan 5, 2016.
  1. Zero Friction

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Color Up

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. TriDodge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Travoid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Triangle Blitz

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  6. Freaky Dots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Push blocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Color blocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Avoid the Triangles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Friction Free

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Made another video last night to wrap up the last two days. Week one is down. I really need to name this game!

I include a rather lengthy tutorial in the beginning on how to create the spinning characters in Fireworks CS5. I'm sure other programs have macros and commands, this is just how I did it. If you don't care for that part, skip the first 8 minutes. ;)

Please sub, like, and comment. Thanks.

2. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

I added a poll to the top of this thread. Please help me pick a name. If you have an idea, post a reply and I'll add it.

Thanks!

3. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

9 Days - Final bbdoc submitted and the name is Dodgey.

The last video is now up. The game has been sent to Granjur for building and now it's just marketing and getting the word out.

It's late, so I'll just post the video.

Thanks for all the feedback and support. The personal messages were great and it was a challenge but very fun and rewarding. I'll be posting a game play video once the APK comes back, hopefully tomorrow. Then an official trailer and game announcement in the Showcase section, probably Thursday or Friday.

ruhm64 and Christoph like this.
  4. chtinaelmehdi

chtinaelmehdi Boxer

great job sir . tou have one hella creative mind . congrats
    can't wait to give your game a try

GTE_Games likes this.
  5. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Thank you, appreciate it.

Granjur has finished uploading to all three app stores. I'm just waiting on approvals now, shouldn't be long.

chtinaelmehdi and ruhm64 like this.
  6. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Dodgey is now live on Google and Amazon, waiting for Apple.

Here is the thread for Dodgey in the game showcase section

All links to the game, website, video, and social media will be maintained there.

If you have technical questions about the game, feel free to ask here and I will get the notifications and continue to respond.

Thanks a ton, it's been fun and interesting, as well as challenging!

chtinaelmehdi likes this.
  7. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

Just installed it from Google Play. :) Can't see the leaderboard but i'll try again later.
    Congrats!!

8. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Thanks. Should be working now.

9. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

I've been playing Dodgey every day to and from work. So much fun! The only problem is it won't connect to google leaderboard. Other games sign me in no problem. Dodgey has never been able to sign me in and pressing the leaderboard icon in your game does nothing. Also, the first powerup that is supposed to remove all enemies crashes every time i use it. The others work fine :) This is by no means complaints. I really enjoy the game. I just thought the feedback would be good.

10. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Thanks @colette_levesque . You officially just made my day! :)

So glad to here you like it, and the feedback is huge!

Got some free time tonight because I'm blocked out of BB2, and I'm actually working through the bugs right now, trying to upload it on my own and get these little things fixed.

Unfortunately, there are a million different settings and little things that can go wrong. Without using a third party to compile, it's a bit time consuming.

I will definitely update you when the new version is uploaded.

Thanks again

11. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

The bugs are not deal-breakers for me. I don't need to get in the leaderboards although i was very curious to see how i rank compared to others lol. Without powerups i make it to the 80s - 90s. With powerups i was able to hit the mid 200s. I understand if you play with settings too much you risk introducing new bugs. Do you know if any one else is having the same issues i am? Maybe it's just my phone model that's uncooperative. Also, is the game available on ios? I'd like to download it on my ipad too.

Thanks.

12. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Not on ios yet. Also part of what I'm trying to fix tonight. Then a few more days to get through Apple review process.

The problem is for everyone on Dodgey with the leaderboard.

You'll be able to get it on ipad and iphone once it's fixed.

Thanks again

colette_levesque likes this.
  13. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

@colette_levesque, the update is now available, it was a late night, but it's working. ;)

If you have "auto-update" enable on your phone, you should get the update automagically. If not, you'll need to update manually.

Leaderboard appears to be working for me now. :D Please let me know if you're good.

I would also love feedback on the new positioning of the power ups. I put them on the left side of the screen.

Definitely let me know if Kill All Enemies keeps crashing the app. I'm hoping it's fixed too, but I didn't do anything to make it fixed, so we'll see.

iOS will take a while longer, maybe late next week. It's just the Apple process. :rolleyes:

14. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

Fantastic. I just updated the game. The leaderboard is working for me now and the Kill All Enemies seems to be working fine now too :) Thanks!

15. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Thanks for catching! And glad you like the game. :)

Forgot to turn off "stick to edge". It was necessary for bottom alignment, but gets screwy with middle of the page alignment.

Easy fix, will upload tonight.

16. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Uploaded and fixed. Video coming shortly on updating APKs in the Play store and proper settings for heyzap.

Ishamahes and Sporty like this.
  17. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

18. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

I have a question about the unlocking of characters (balls). I have 3 left to unlock: 500, 1500 and the very last one doesn't show a value. Are those distances? I NEED to unlock them (lol) but not sure what i'm supposed to do to get to that goal. I thought i needed to pick up more currency but that doesn't seem to be the case. If i need to make it to 500 distance then i'm in big trouble... i'll be playing this game a long time :)

As far as the interface goes, i feel like the powerups were much better sitting on the bottom of the screen. I say that because now they are on the far left, forcing right-handed people to reach over with their thumb and block the game field. I am left-handed but played with my right hand to test your game. The powerups being so high and on the left also get lost in the game itself, blending with the game objects. At least on the bottom they were always sitting on their own, highly visible and within reach with no obstructions. You may not change their position back but i know you appreciate the feedback.

One more thing about powerups. When using a solid character such as the white ball and pressing the powerup button, it's obvious that the powerup is still active because there is a nice swirling around the ball that disappears when it expires. It's really hard to tell when the powerup is done on characters that are already spinny. I died several times because i thought i was still in powerup mode. Just an observation. Maybe you could make the powerup animation something that pulsates bigger/smaller over and over. I don't expect you to make all these changes to your game but i think they are good things for everyone to keep in mind for future games. I love a lot about your game which is why i continue to play it. I'm not a game expert... i haven't made one yet, but i do play lots of them so this is coming from the perspective of a user. I hope you don't see this as bad criticism.

I'm still loving the game and intend to dominate the leaderboard hahaha.

Thanks.

p.s. i just realized when the sound is on that it's obvious that the powerup is still active. That is a great indicator but a lot of people play games with the sound down, and some are hard of hearing too. Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  19. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

I can put the power ups back where they were, it's probably a little narrow sighted on my part, I'm right handed. I was finding it difficult to hit the buttons on the bottom. I hold the phone in my left, and use my right index finger. So I would have to let go of the ball and move my finger down to push the power up (and usually die). I thought that if I put them on the side, I could push them with my left thumb, never "dropping the ball" :) You're right, the bottom is more universal though.

I just tested again, the last character is only available through a rewarded video. It was a test, and it worked. :) Just click on it and you'll watch an ad, after that it'll be unlocked. (let me know if it doesn't work) The others are all coin based, not distance. My record BTW is about 250 with power ups. About 160 without. I'm gonna need to add more characters and levels just for you!

20. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Not sure what to do for the spinning invicibility. I can't change it per character. The spinner was my best solution, but maybe I can make a white glow around it that would stand out from the background.

I now have my Mac hardware, (Macbook Air and iPhone) so I'll be getting the game submitted to Apple today and I'll see what I can do. Already put the buttons back on the bottom. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback! Huge help!