Android Back Button Bug! It Restarts The Game-kills Continue Checkpoint.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by volcank, Mar 14, 2017.

1. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi,

I just realised there is a bug when I build the game for Android. I am using the regular set checkpoint and start check point settings to be able to make the player continue game from where they left off. How ever when I was playing the game in Android I also use the back button to skip Admob Ads. Accidently I pressed it when there was no ad on screen and it took me way back to level 1 and deleted the whole process. So all the saved levels were gone. IS there a way to fix this problem?? I didn't assign any keys for restarting the game btw. Only I created one etxtra UI in which you could reset the game and go back to level 1. I used Restart settings on a navigation button in that UI. Could that be creating the problem. @Andy

You can check one of my games in Android port here. I also realised it has the same problem. even you reach a checkpoint in the gameover screen if back button is pressed it resets the game back to level 1.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volkan.codenamejackson

Regards

Volkan

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Appymes

Appymes Avid Boxer

In version 2.2.9 it was announced that this bug was corrected. Have you tried that version?

volcank likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

We're looking into this hardware back button issue now... I don't know yet which version will contain a fix.

volcank likes this.
  4. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Ok Thank You @Andy I think this is important because it could result in unhappy customers who loose their game progress. Is this issue also fixed in prerelease of 2.2.9 like @Appymes mentioned?

5. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

I didn't know that I will have a look at that. I was a bit cautious on installing an extra buildbox without updating 2.2.8 so I didn't install it yet. I might give it a try. Thanx.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Ability to force any World to reset during a start or restart button event is what was added to 2.2.9 (not released yet, getting close to a second pre-release).

This Android back button issue is separate. This issue is because there is no ability to configure restart checkpoint for this button or to otherwise redirect it. Don't know yet if it will be fixed in 2.2.9 or in 2.3.

volcank likes this.
  7. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hmm interesting so this issue is not fixed yet. Can't we somehow give something else to Android Back button so we use that back button for something else? This is actually really annoying for the players. Android gamers are used to press on back button to Avoid Ads where as in IOS you have to click the X at the top.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Google has specific requirements about what the back button should do. However, it's likely that our solution will let you do pretty much any navigation, still working through exactly what it will be.

volcank likes this.
  9. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Mostly it is used to exit the game. I know in Apple you click the round button to exit the Game and Apple Doesn't even allow you to add a button that says exit in the main menu. But this can be done in Android. An Exit from Game Function could be added maybe just for Android to fix this issue. I used it this way before I moved to Buildbox when I was doing HTML5 Gaming.

10. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

@Andy Interesting, just checked the game phases in android and it doesn't have the thing that I mentioned. in gameover screen when I press back button it simply takes me back to menu where it says tap to.start. Maybe I am doing somethingg wrong. When I set a navigation button and set it to start checkpoint I also.connect its node to game load node to where my scenes start, this way I can continue from where I left off. Do you think I am doing it wrong?

11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Phases is BB1 which was much more limited in functionality. BB2 has way more complex navigation. I would not make any comparison here. Regardless we are looking into what needs to be done in the best way possible.

volcank likes this.
  12. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hmm ok I thought the same thing actually since if it was created with BB1 shouldn't it be also done in BB2. Anyways I see since BB2 has more complex navigation this makes things complex and buggy I suppose. Ok will be waiting for a fix then :/ Thank You.

13. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

also here, facing the same problem with back button, i just can't release my game for android since it's like phases, use start and restart checkpoint button, if the player clicks the back button it will reset the game .

volcank likes this.
  14. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

I already released my game long time ago but found out this bug yesterday LOL :)

15. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

if you find any solution or trick to fix this problem, please let me know,
    this is a very important thing to fix, atleast we should have an alternative way to disable back button ...

volcank likes this.
  16. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

For now the only solution I can think of is to warn the player inside the meta data of Google Play saying that there is a problem with back button which will be fixed soon and say sorry for inconvenience tell them to never ever touch the back button on the phone! :) Other than that I had to switch my current game which I am developing now to randomised levels and set checkpoints to a purchase buton of coins of 100 or something.So people can continue the game from where they left off only at that session only. It turned to a causal game LOL. Anyway there is more time to complete the game so I hope this is fixed soon. Or if I go with staged game version I might slice up my long game play to shorter worlds and make the player select worlds like 1-2-3 by clicking on the world icons you know! Anyway good luck to all of us and Happy Game Making.

Volkan

ramiucef likes this.
  17. akira

akira Boxer

Has this issue been fixed...or has anyone found a way around it?

18. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Actually yes this was solved long ago

In order to avoid this simply place a navigation button assigned to the keyboard button "B" in the UI for Game Over or wherever needed. Then route that navigation button set to default to wherever you would like the Android button to route to and it will avoid this