Game Size Too Big...help

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by JSeeger6, Sep 30, 2019.

1. JSeeger6

JSeeger6 Avid Boxer

My game size for iPhone is around 500mb which is crazy. The game should be less than 200mb to compete with other games. I'm working out of BB3 and barely have any textures/png's, so it's likely coming from the Meshes, and those are ranging from 200kb to 1.5mb per mesh. If the meshes are too big - how do I downsize without significantly losing quality?

If it's not the mesh sizes, what could it be? My atlases are optimized so it isn't that either. Definitely need help asap if possible!!!
    Thanks!!!

2. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

The best option is to use objects the size you need in your project. There is no need to change the size inside the BB which affects the operation of the game. It also allows you to keep the minimum number of atlases. The game size will also be smaller.

3. JSeeger6

JSeeger6 Avid Boxer

Hi Jaro, thanks for getting back to me. The only thing is that changing the "physical" size of the mesh before importing into buildbox doesn't actually change the file size. It seems the only way to shrink the file size of the mesh is to totally downgrade it and lose quality. Is that what you're talking about?

4. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

Instead of reducing the size of the object it is better to immediately make it in the size you need or very close. It is also important to have only one object in the atlases, even if you use it in the project many times. This also reduces the size of the game.

Josh (Nology Games) likes this.
  5. JSeeger6

JSeeger6 Avid Boxer

The only thing is - even if I shrink the size of the mesh in Blender before exporting, that doesn't shrink its actual file size (10kb, 100kb, etc.). That only changes its physical size. In order to shrink its file size, I have to get rid of poly's and shapes/faces/etc right? And doing that would ruin the appearance of the mesh file.

Also the objects (meshes) arent in the atlases as far as I can see - those are only holding the textures and .png's, right? So what could I do to further reduce?

6. JSeeger6

JSeeger6 Avid Boxer

Bumping this for more support!

7. doruk onur

doruk onur Boxer

+1

JSeeger6 likes this.
  8. JSeeger6

JSeeger6 Avid Boxer

Update: Cleared unused meshes and that didn't shrink game size in the slightest, which was a big surprise to me.
    To clear unused meshes, select any mesh from world, click edit, and unlock the unused meshes and press close.