Is Buildbox Worth It?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by cptcanuck, Aug 20, 2019.

1. cptcanuck

cptcanuck Boxer

So I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. First, I'm a developer from way back...programming in languages most people have forgot or never heard of. My experience is with business systems and it's been a long while since I've actually developed anything other than Websites for friends and a few businesses. It's been about 20 years since I actually did coding as I have been working as QA Manager, Application Development Manager and I.T. Manager over the years. I want to get back to development and if lucky or even any good at it any more, possible make a modest living at it.

So the questions:
    1) I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Buildbox and was wondering if it's worth trying out for someone as 'green' as myself?
    2) If I purchase the lowest tier, can I bump it up during the year if I find I need the next level plan?
    3) Am I in a dream world to think I can make a career of this building games with buildbox?
    4) Should I try something other than Buildbox?

Thank you in advance for your replies..

2. buildboxuser

buildboxuser Boxer

Yes sure, I do not see a reason why not. There was plans to offer free tier at some point, so you can wait, or try lowest tier.
    Please note that you won't be able to build any crazy idea you want, if there is no pre-built "function" or "asset" for this. Making such assets is possible, but quite complex for someone 'green', there is no market to buy assets - you can scan over forums to find some (I guess asset store is what made unity very popular) and tool/API's sometimes quite limited. If you are fine with existing building blocks - then it is simplest engine I saw. You can build something by only using drag and drop.

I assume this won't be an issue.

Yes, with "business systems", you have much more chances to make a career and this is much easier. Buildbox is mostly for hobbyists at this stage. If you want to be hired as game programmer - learn unity or something more advanced.
    To publish game on your own, besides coding, you need skills (learn or buy) in graphics design, 3D modeling, animation, sound effects, game design, marketing and monetization.

Google it, there is all sorts of engines for different skill level and game dev workflows, you will have to pick and try by yourself what works for you the best.
    https://www.websitetooltester.com/en/blog/best-game-engine/
    https://conceptartempire.com/free-game-engines/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

1) I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Buildbox and was wondering if it's worth trying out for someone as 'green' as myself?

Absolutely. Keep in mind we have a 30 day guarantee if you don't like it or find it's too difficult. A free version is also coming soon.

2) If I purchase the lowest tier, can I bump it up during the year if I find I need the next level plan?

Yes, no issue :)

3) Am I in a dream world to think I can make a career of this building games with buildbox?

Some like David Reichelt have seen their greatest hits (Color Switch) from Buildbox. It is not impossible ;)

Hue Buildbox likes this.
  4. Xoctrebla

Xoctrebla Avid Boxer

Everyone starts out green, everyone. Sounds like you have some coding experience, the industry standard is Unity and requires coding, playmaker less, everything has a learning curve... if you can code in unity then you're not as green as ya think... there's other alternatives too Buildbox, it does have the fastest proto-typing and other benefits but also draw backs as do all the other game engines. Do your research...
    Do you want to dream or do you want to get to work? These are complimentary opposites, The before mention David Reichelt had 50+ games before he got "lucky" and things were different back then. No one ever dreamt their way to success.
    Try everything until you find what works for you.

5. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

BB2 is worth it....good thing BB3 is “free” cuz it is not at the moment.