Conversion From Bb2 To Bb3

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by patostar, May 23, 2019.

1. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

I converted a copy of my game that I made with bb2 to bb3 and it's all messed up, it's very hard, I always hoped that we could make 3d games with buildbox, but right now I will keep using bb2, I have no idea where the collision shapes, defeated, jump, shoot etc animations...are!

Jaro likes this.
  2. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

I have almost completed game in BB2 and I was constantly afraid that files from BB2 will not work properly on BB3. I watched on the forum what happens to BB3 beta and I felt that there will be problems. Although they promised to keep the old subscription rules for existing users, it did not happen. The user may remain on his old subscription, however, it is not possible to change it. In this way, I can not do the project I worked on for a few months because I can not change my subscription to a higher one nor do I make a BB3 project because the BB2 files do not work as they should. Something did not work as it should. Its too many problems and combinations around this software.

patostar likes this.
  3. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

You are totally right! I am afraid if I work on BB3 I may waste my time since I am used to work on 2d but 3d, and it needs time to get used to it, watching tutorials too, my current game on bb2 needs like 10 days and it should be finished, that's why I don't want to work on bb3 right now, I converted my bb2 to bb3 and it's really hard to understand what's going on!

Jaro likes this.
  4. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Really depends on the game, but please send the BBdoc to support so we can trouble shoot! It's all about what elements are in the game. We tried to get most scenarios, but some are more challenging for sure. Send it over and we'll get it fixed ;)

patostar and Jaro like this.
  5. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

After installing BB3, can you return to BB2 and work on it ?? I belive so.

6. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

my game imported and converted my BB2 doc but whilst all the UI’s and connections are in place the game wont play correctly. Cant slide my game character left/right and no randomization on coins and stuff… everything displays as if the random is set to 100% - sending BB2 doc into support again.

Jaro and patostar like this.
  7. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Yes exactly this is what happened, this is why I am sticking with bb2, in the future I am gonna use bb3.

Jaro likes this.
  8. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Yes of course you can, I installed bb2 and bb3, and I will keep using bb2 right now, in the future of course I am gonna make 3d games.

Jaro likes this.
  9. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Thanks a lot Trey, don't worry I am just gonna keep using bb2 for now, when I finish my current game, I am gonna make 3d games in the future, I don't have much time, that's why :)

Jaro likes this.
  10. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

So you have separately installed BB2 and BB3? Can you finish your project in BB2 and test BB3 at the same time?

11. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

My BB2 game is quite complex in terms of parts within scenes, I tried importing into BB3 and it crashed as soon as I selected another scene. Was trying to see how it handled objects where I have many links connected for complex physics shapes to overcome boundary constraints for example.

My concern with BB3 at the moment is that it's lost the simple object connection mode where you could quickly drag and drop connections between objects. It seems that you now use the + button after selecting two objects and then select the link option, rather than just mouse drag a link between things as BB2. Fine for simple connections but I might have 10-20 connections in places and doing that will be very cumbersome and slow. Not to mention the ball it puts on screen with the links will obscure things, particularly as there seems to be no way to hide these links now as we can in BB2. Seems like a backward step here but could be fixed with a separate view mode and drag connection.

12. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

The other issue is that each of those links now shows as a link object in the object list which is a bit of a clutter. In BB2 they don't appear as objects. I'd understand the need for that as you can select the link object and change its type to fixed, hinge, etc. I guess the only way around that is to stick them in a folder but the folder feature seems to have vanished for BB3 which is a concern.

13. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

I am pretty sure this BB2 to BB3 converting will be a HUGE undertaking. There are things in bb2 and hacks that people do to get things to work that can't be done in bb3 just yet. Try getting all those hack to convert to code or nodes sounds difficulty!

14. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Yes exactly, I installed bb2 and bb3 separately, I am still making the game on bb2, I tested it on bb3 yesterday and it was all messed up, and I returned quickly to bb2 again because I don't want to waste my time.

Jaro likes this.
  15. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

this is great. I can continue working on BB2 and learn BB3 at the same time.

patostar likes this.