There Has To Be A Better Way To Animate In Bb3

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by spicedbeangames, May 20, 2019.

1. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

After attempting to try the character node @PunkPuffin created, it just seems like an extremely tedious work around.

I exported an animation I had made into OBJ files and a simple run and jump creates 200 files. I have no idea how the load times will fair on a mobile device but just loading in 25 in the preview can take time for the first time.

Surely, there must be a way we can animate in BB3 otherwise it means we can only really use generic objects and shapes without really having the flexibility to create some engaging characters and animations.

If anyone has an idea how to turn 200 obj files into a single obj animation, please let me know ;)

2. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Yes it is a kind of laggy if you have lot more Obj files and if you have a high vertices Obj file then your project might just get a crash. but for low level obj files the asset @PunkPuffin created is awesome. atleast we have some kind of hack now.

spicedbeangames likes this.
  3. imonedesign

imonedesign Boxer

We need to wait for FBX files support to do it the right way, hopefully soon.

4. spicedbeangames

That won't be coming for a very long time.

5. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

FBX is one of the first things we're focusing on after release. We definitely know how important it is, but did not want to delay the launch over it. We're on it though.

6. spicedbeangames

I guess it will depend on how long that can take. The problem I have is that a publisher is keen on publishing a game I have been testing and the main character needs the animations which is unfortunate that i can't do.

I did email support and they said it wouldn't be with this release. But yes, this really needs to be a high priority and a massive selling point in BB3.

7. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

any update on this?

8. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

Proper support for 3D animations won’t be out for quite a while

9. PendingFox

PendingFox Boxer

^ that and lack of properly exposed API-s is what's holding me off for more than a year now. I'd love to use this as a solo-dev 3d game prototyping tool for pitching ideas to my team. But it's simply not capable of doing the basic stuff I require. I'm a game director with programming and art background.

10. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

It is possible to have animation in BB3. While it might not be fully set up the way we want, it is something that the team are working hard with

11. PendingFox

PendingFox Boxer

Well, it's almost 2020(in 2 months), calling this a "possibility to have an animation" is simply irrelevant. FBX skinned mesh support and excessive API to access rigs, handle IK and control the animation is a must and should have been part of the MVP.
    This is a fact. So stop focusing on iPad version lol.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    PunkPuffin and tonymartz2 like this.
  12. Josh (Nology Games)

This is happening very soon. I was just pointing out that you can, in fact, do it

13. PendingFox

PendingFox Boxer

By importing OBJ sequences? Also, by very soon you mean what? A month, 3 months a year?

PunkPuffin likes this.
  14. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

With all respect I know how complicated it could be but you need to stop this “coming soon” phrase because it has no meaning. For example easy ads integration coming soon and its been how long?

Xoctrebla and PunkPuffin like this.
  15. Josh (Nology Games)

we apologise that you feel this way. The reason why we use “coming soon” is because it really is coming soon. We are not able to give specific dates as it’s unfair on everyone to get their hopes up, only to feel let down because of delays. That is how it is with coding. You could be 99% done with a code, only to have to start again because of a bug in the code.

it really is around the corner, and we appreciate your patience in all of this.