Imho Bb Is Failing To Take Care Of Their Current Subscribers.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Maria, May 5, 2019.

?

How is your current situation (ROI) as a BB game developer/subscriber?

1. Break Even

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Successful

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Bleeding

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Maria

Maria Boxer

I feel disappointed when I saw the new 7 day trial free trial with exclusive bonuses on my email today.

First I have been already on my 10th month subscription (Indie) to them and the only bonus I received is the "Crushing Hyper Casual Games e-book by @TreySmith. Live Course is available in You Tube.

Out of the 10 months of development, I spend countless of hours, screen time, sleepless night and even take toll of my time for my kids just to look for a game assets, and sound effects to suite whatever game I'm developing. I even buy and shell some cash for a game assets and sounds effects. I spent a lot of time as well on photoshop and illustrator to develop my game ui and assets.

This is until today 06 May 2019 that I found out that one of their exclusive bonuses if you sign-up today is that they can actually gave you free the "The Everything Collection" which claim to be $119,000 worth of free game assets, which includes thousands of game arts and sound effects. This is where I feel disappointed, if only that they supported me with this on the first place on my current subscription then IMHO my game development will be much easier or at least make it more easier.

I can actually have this now if I wanted to, use my other email, register and use my other card, boom! Subscribe for the plus and upgrade to indie but I have to terminate my current subscription and hopefully I can still use my laptop for license activation. - Another hassle.

This is also under the fact that;
    1. BB Failed to deliver on their promise to release BB3 last year, and yet we still waiting as of my writing. I fully understand that developing the software and polish it will take a lot of time but this is a fact that the lost time of waiting has not made our subscription worth it. BB should compensate us out of this (this is not a demand and it's up to you BB). I'm BB2 and BB3 Beta subscriber, but when they officially release BB3 and IF they will charge us for the official version, then think again. I hope @NikRudenko will read this.

2. (On my side - as a no code developer). I am already bleeding and I only have 2 months to shell out cash on my other pocket - my hard earn money on my primary profession. I still don't have luck and the ROI is bad. The $350 I had invested has not been reciprocated by the ads and IAP revenue, not to mention your expenditures on internet connection and electricity.

I still love BB out of this. I have learn a lot and enjoying the game development process. I just wish that they should take care of their current subscriber as well since we already help them to make them afloat when they are updating and developing BB2 and BB3 before it's too late...

PS.
    For those who want to rate and support my game kindly refer to link below, let me know and I will do the same to your game on Google Play. Thanks and good luck!

Emoji Invaders Cosmos
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1446778257
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaboxstudio.emojiinvaders

Knife Jump
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knife-jump/id1438963531
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaboxstudio.knifejump

Dirty Riddles
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaboxstudio.dirtyriddlesquiz

Monster Go Round
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-go-round/id1439675183
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaboxstudio.monstergoround

The Color Zen
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-color-zen/id1460763037
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaboxstudio.thecolorzen

Move Up - Ballon Games
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.megaboxstudio.riseupballoongames

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

While we do apologise that you feel this way, this might not be the best way to go about this. However I would suggest that you email support and ask if you can receive the everything collection. As you are an indie subscriber, you should have already received it.
    We at buildbox are more then happy to help in these situations.

Maria likes this.
  3. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

A couple of things to mention here. Yes, it is frustrating at the delays and lack of communication, tutorials etc - especially around key topics such as advertising.

However, as for the 'Everything Collection', you will find asking support can be fruitful as they normally help with stuff like that.

Finally, looking at your portfolio, it's clear that you are making the games that YOU want to make - which is fine, but if you want to make money to support your game development, you need to change and adapt by making the games the market demands. I've posted several links in the marketing forum here about Voodoos success, what they are looking for etc, but even if you don't want to take the publishers route, there's lots of tips and free advice from them to give you some direction when making games.

You also release games and expect to get downloads, without updating them much. Focus on the games that have done sort of well, update them - change icons, key words, etc to try and generate some downloads. Sites such as AppAnnie are free and you can search keywords on popular games that are similar to yours for ideas when keywording.

Maria and bmsingha like this.
  4. Maria

Maria Boxer

@spicedbeangames First, thank you for your response, appreciate it a lot. I don't release games and expect to download without updating them (This is not the case and early stages of the market anymore). FYI, I regularly update my game and done A/B testing a lot. I do ASO. I've been using AppAnnie for analytics and keywords. I even push my game sometimes on Google Adwords and spend some dimes. I've been using GA as well on some of my games, etc. Agree with you, advertising and marketing is a key topics that we developer needs to learn as well. Will check on your post on marketing forum. Thanks!

spicedbeangames likes this.
  5. Maria

Maria Boxer

Thank you @Josh (Tekanology) ! Well, it's never too late to ask support. I just wish they pushing email on not to treat us as a new subscriber for us to sign-up again, I think this is poor marketing practice (they should not do email blast on people in different situations). Instead they have to inform us subscriber on what's new and what is additional bonuses that will help on the development being a subscriber. Just my 2 cents. Thanks.

6. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

A/B testing etc is all fine, but sometimes during the life cycle, its worth revisiting icons, keywords etc to see if anything responds better when the market changes. We all go through up's and downs as developers so it's always worth asking in forums or discord or places where indie devs hang out for any useful tips or help when you need it.

This is probably one of the better Voodoo advice videos, note also that the market is moving more toward 3d and although you can have success with 2d, its a little bit more of a challenge unless you have a good idea.

Maria likes this.
  7. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

What is IMHO ?

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  8. Maria

Maria Boxer

@rizwanashraf it's an abbreviation for "in my honest opinion" like lmao!:D or "in my humble opinion".

9. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Just email support. They will probably send them to you. They’ve been available for years.

But do you really want to use the same assets as everyone else? This is a chance to be super creative and make your games unique.

10. Snipering

Snipering Boxer

I Agree its actually annoying to see all these offers popping up when especially when I spent 3k for MC2 the first time around, of which at the time made sense when it was 1200 dollars a year for BB2 but now it's less than half price which is very disgusting especially for software that doesn't get updated BB2 is initially what I paid for and it hasn't been updated for over a year now Dissapointing, . Bb3 was only an bonus attachment to BB2 but yeah seeing all these offers are really infuriating.

11. Maria

Maria Boxer

Thanks @AaroArts, I already did and they already send me the link of the collection. Of course not, what I'm trying to convey to them is that after sales/support should inform me on my early days of the subscription that this assets are available to help my development. I know Apple is very strict in terms of their policy particularly if you are using the same assets (game may be rejected because its either spammy, copycat, etc). I won't probably use the assets literally as is where is, but subjectively I may enhance it and use it. For the SFX there is a good chance that I might use some of it since this is where I took to much time browsing the internet for royalty free sfx and figuring out what the best music bg and sfx on my games. Agree with you, that we developer should be creative and innovative in terms of game development. But, sometimes for us non-coders we need to re-create a certain game in order for us to learn the process fast and then develop what we think is unique that might be a hit in the market - like everyone else indie developer dreams. Cheers!

12. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

OH ...

13. Maria

Maria Boxer

I feel your disappointment @Snipering. I think your current situation is actually worst than mine. I pity that you shell out a lot of investment and then you found out on their current offer that is not really align on what you are paying for. BB should focus on this matter and align all their resources across the board on all of us subscriber. It is not a good strategy that subscriber X of year 2018 and subscriber Y of 2019 of similar subscription don't have similar resources. Well, all the best to you @Snipering, wishing you luck to hit the golden pot in your future games!

14. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Out of all these discussion is this what caught your sight ? :D and yes and its your reply that caught my attention too LOL! and don't ask me what is lol :p (Laughing out loud) :D :D :D

rizwanashraf and Maria like this.
  15. Maria

Maria Boxer

:D:D:D

16. Tonyfisher6379

Tonyfisher6379 Boxer

Game dev isn't a "build it and they will come" type of business model. Sure there are people that have smashing hits, but that not the norm.
    If you're in this to see an instant ROI, are you treating it like a business or like hobby?
    I have to agree with the other boxers above in relation to the assets from BB - The markets are full of what games you can make with those assets.
    It's easy to put a lot of yourself into a project for weeks or months, get past reviewers and then........ nothing happens. Thus is the marketing portion.

Not taking any jabs at you because genuinely, we feel your pain.
    BUT, I will say this: I've spent money on sprites, backgrounds, Unity assets, Udemy courses all in vain.

Take a step back, look at what you've really invested and be a little realistic. Is this a business? Are you vested as a business? Or would you be more in the "hobbyist" realm.

Relax, this is a creative outlet - if it makes money, great!

Maria likes this.
  17. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

18. Maria

Maria Boxer

Thanks @Tonyfisher6379 ! It's more of a side hassle. Agreed, if it makes money, great! It's kinda if your side hassle making more than your 9 to 5 job and if you hit the golden pot then invest and retire young. "Live fast retire young" - Fail fast, learn fast realms.

On a side note, I appreciate all your valuable responses, your advices and sharing of your learnings. I really learning a lot. Even @rizwanashraf making this tread jolly and lively helps when you are on a down side. Cheers and have a nice day!