Buildbox Release Date

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Reverse Studios, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Reverse Studios

Reverse Studios Boxer

We have not gotten a single communication regarding the release bracket/date that makes it extremely hard to plan, also since we are on a monthly billing rate this is not very good people are spending a lot of money on a month they were expecting release for there not only not to be a release but for there to be no communication. We have been waiting for a stable release to send our game to publishers. Buildbox 3 is now 50+ Days late. If you expect yours customers to say we need something from the team soon

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

I have to agree that the radio silence has become deafening. I fail to understand why suddenly all communication stopped - no one posts on the forums hardly, the tutorial videos are lacking and have vanished too.

It's got to the point where I have started to lose interest and haven't opened BB to actually develop on in days, due to the endless frustrations.

landofgreendev likes this.
  3. nizarawi

nizarawi Boxer

I agree

4. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

@Reverse Studios - They are going to say that you are paying for BB2 and BB3 is free. The lack of communication has always been like this since day 1 so I wouldn't expect that to change.

rizwanashraf likes this.
  5. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

I suggest if you really have issues or desperate to know something contact support directly. They have been pretty responsive for me.

isac cabrera likes this.
  6. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Yeah, lack of communication has been a big issue. I think it is mainly because they would always promise stuff but didn't deliver on 90% of it and people would call them out on it. So their solution is to just go radio silent.

Also, Trey is working on another business about reverse engineering business books. So I am not too sure what is going on with Buildbox. Where it is headed or anything. Nobody knows.

I mean if I wasn't locked in until September and only had monthly payments I would have canceled by now, but I paid for a year so might as well stick it out and if it improves then I stay, if not then I cancel. Simple as that.

7. thatguyminib

Honestly, we shouldn't have to reach out and ask for progress on a program we are paying for. It really isn't hard to just do a post giving a quick update every week or two on the progress.

Doesn't have to be too in depth or anything just an update. Is it on track? Is it not? Have there been problems? Is BB3 even still a thing being worked on? lol

8. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

I deal with many many software vendors and unless they are on fixed release schedules none of them release progress or next release dates, it only gets them in to hot water.

I’m sure they are doing their best with fixes and features

9. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Yes, but Buildbox is not like most software vendors as they are also a gaming company. So the community that they built is very different from the typical software company

10. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

We do understand the frustration oh the full release not being out yet but you also need to realise that the reason for that is that they are bringing out a product that will be better then anything else and it’s standards need to be met. If you released a game before it was ready then your followings would stop following. I am currently working on my own game with BB3 and I know that not everything is there but that has not stopped me from making massive progress. BB2 had a lot of issues where we had to build workarounds (which did sometimes create bugs) but they did work most of the time.
    I find it so much easier to work around everything now with BB3 then I ever did in BB2.
    We all will be happy once BB3 is released but with a little patience and understanding, I know that it will be worth it.

As far as Treys other Business, it doesn’t effect buildbox as a company. It
    Nothing that is happening in Treys life will effect Buildbox 3 or its release.
    If you would like to discuss this further then please send an email to support@buildbox.com as they will be more then happy to answer some of your questions there.

PunkPuffin likes this.
  11. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

For me, I can wait for bb3 even if it's going to be released next year what frustrates me why you keep promising for something that you can't do, also you need to keep people updated with bb3 progress like its say it has now this feature and this feature, stability progress 70% 80% 90% and so on. But this silent that what it kill us, even Trey was doing some posts about bb3 in twitter and facebook now its stopped. we feel like we were abandoned. I hope you understand that and us.

12. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

I want everyone to know that we, the buildbox team have not and will never abandon anyone. The reason for the silence is simply because everyone is already working overtime and as much as we would love to be able to give a 50-60-70% to inform everyone, the truth is that it would look more like 50-60-40-70-50% as that is what is happening as we are finding more things that we wish to give to everyone to make making games easier then it has ever been

13. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

I think the tool you guys are trying to create is going to be fantastic. Your comment around 50-60-40-70-50% is actually something I really welcome because I had the impression it was perhaps 90-95% and what you've said helps understand what's happening a little. Naturally it's going to be disappointing to some but I find it pleasing to know that so much energy and passion is going into what this is to become.

I recall Trey reflecting that being open about BB3 was a risk in terms of expectation management which is what we're seeing. This is very much down to the (few) declarations on the tool's imminent readiness over the past few months followed by long periods of silence. I think the community would probably be far more supportive is the challenges you're having and new thinking (if that's the case) were shared on a regular basis. Even better would be to say folks, we've had to do some rethinking, we estimate it's going to take this long and here's what we're trying to add in and we're going to send out new beta's with this set of things per set for you to try, and here's the roadmap for that. We need to do this as part of the first live release (rather than version 3.nn) for these reasons. We're going to update you on progress the last Friday of each month regardless of whether we've reached the targets we've set ourselves (so we won't go quiet). And you actually stick to that commitment.

I'd welcome you guys giving yourselves more time, not burning out through work and stress and then there's also time to engage with the community. Make the first release stable and better. If we get something that's quite buggy then it will be a rough time for us all.

It's been so quiet...

Reverse Studios and andre_sprs like this.
  14. Reverse Studios

Reverse Studios Boxer

We
    we know you are working hard but we need a release date, some of us are legitimate businesses and need to have this information to plan

15. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

@TreySmith
    @Sean Buildbox @ZackGriset @NikRudenko @Josh (Tekanology) I don't know if i am eligible to give you a suggestion.But being a customer and tired of reading the repeated post in forum regarding the release i suggest you to release both BB3 and BB2 as a standalone version first and then the following update try with the conversion part i.e Merging BB2 to BB3 .Kindly skip the merging part for time being and fix the bugs addressed in beta for BB3 First Stable Release .Its quiet easy to criticize from the other side but even if we step into your shoes the result would be same.I still remember buying a live wallpaper creator software few years back and the company kept on promising about new release with new features and soon that form was filled up with hatred threads and false promises .But soon the trend was over the customers stop complaining and the creators didn't release the advanced product.The only difference was it is one time payment and not subscription model.
    I follow this forum regularly and all i see in the forum is seeking final date of the product.And long gone tutorial threads,new tricks and tips ,just pure hatred and frustration because "The Dream is Too Big" .
    So i suggest you guys to release both standalone products i.e 2D and 3D creator and think about merging it in future if that is what the delay about ;)

rizwanashraf likes this.
  16. thatguyminib

Ya know there was a specific game engine that had this feature slated for this year and everyone was excited for it because everyone has been looking forward to them implementing it for about 3 years.

The product got delayed though because the engine was moving in a different direction and they wanted this new feature to work with this direction. They came out and told everyone that the feature would be delayed and the reasons why it would be. No one was upset, no one was angry and everyone understood that it was for the better.

Guess what I am trying to say is that sure it may be for the better, but us as the community don't really know that. All we see is a product that isn't out yet. All you have to do is a simple post. "Hey, everyone we are delaying the next build so we can implement x,y,z or because of x,y,z problems!" Cool everyone understands and we are all on the same page.

Also, did the 2.8 or whatever for bb2 ever get worked on or released like promised?

andre_sprs likes this.
  17. Jackazoid

Jackazoid Avid Boxer

BB3 doesn't even have a set checkpoint node. What the frack? How are we going to make a(n endless) game if you can't even restart a level/scene?

18. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

I agree! According to Josh all we have to do is email support and our questions would be answered. So I guess we should do that and post the answers in the forum since it’s to hard for them to that themselves.

19. thatguyminib

What should we ask first? lol

andre_sprs likes this.
  20. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

I would like to add something here which is i believe very important, They should not market Buildbox3D right now, because new people are coming and seeing this version is a disaster for the company and its reputation. and even the new trial is not working as it should. I doubt their marketing strategy a little. Apologize for that.

andre_sprs and Reverse Studios like this.