What Happens In The Retention Test Of Voodoo?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by ronnie gaikwad, Feb 7, 2019.

1. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

what exactly do they do with your games? what was yourD1&D7 retention, how much were theyexpecting?

2. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

3. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

They test your game for 4 days (without Ads) on the US App store (iOS only) and do user acquisition via Facebook.

You need...
    • Day 1 retention in average above 55%
    • Day 7 retention in average above 22%
    • Over 250 new users per day on average (for 4 days)

ronnie gaikwad likes this.
  4. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

That actually is not the case with many publishers.
    Some will not start the retention test until you reach 2000 users, this is how TabTale does it and a few others, and it lasts for 7 days and they barely use Facebook. Also they do not necessary test in US, TabTale picks specific regions and rarely picks US.

5. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Just to be clear I am a Voodoo tester and that is EXACTLY how they test.

6. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

lol,
    I apologize, I skimmed his Title, I didn't see he was requesting specifically Voodoo. Sorry about that

7. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

when they test game only for 4 days then how do they know the D7 the retention? Will i have to create an account in ios apps store? or they test it on their own account? and what is this 250 new users per day on avg?

8. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

You will need to transfer the app to them and they provide all the info on how to link it to their facebook account. They also use their 'Voodoo Sauce' cross promotion tool to help drive more users. Voodoo aren't out to 'get you' or catch you out - they just want to be sure games reach those numbers.

If a game falls a little short and could cross the line with some work, thats what they do. They even sometimes return to a failed prototype by adding a new feature to see if that makes a difference.

9. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

so they will them self publish the game for retention test on their own account?

10. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

o
    Or they will do the retention test on my ios account?

11. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

I wouldnt worry about the small detail until you get a game accepted. They will give you instructions. Bottom line, you WILL need an iOS account.

12. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

can i know your game retention while game testing?

13. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Note that for game retention testing you must integrate Game Analytics sdk along with facebook sdk and upload to your existing account.(these are the steps to perform after they approve your prototype for testing).You will have to share admin rights to your facebook account by following the tutorial on their website and is similar for gameanalytics.And then like in "Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban" All you need is to wait :D :p .You can track your retention analytics on your Game Analytics account and once "Choosen" Transfer your prototype to Voldemort :p (Voodoo).
    Hope you understand.

14. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

whe
    when they test the game for 4 days then how do they know the retention of D7?

15. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

To my knowledge they would test for more than a week.You could look for no of days until your app promo ends on their dashboard. And btw they don't care about D7 if D1,D2,D3 are good.If am a publisher i won't :)

16. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

is your any game tested by voodoo? if yes, then what was your D1&D7 retention ?

17. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Any video tutorial on how to integrate GameAnalytics and Facebook SDK Voodoo wants for testing when exporting from Buildbox?

Facebook SDK has many frameworks, which specific ones Voodoo needs for testing? Or does anyone know for the matter.

I think still Voodoo do not recommend BuildBox games, this info is in their FAQ section, but not sure their stand on BB3 now.

Also, Apple is very picky nowadays approving games to the App Store with their 4.3 Spam guideline. If you are creating similar games that are already in the App Store, you can get your account banned or at least app rejection.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  18. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

First of all, given the present conditions and implementation of BB2 and BB3, it's simply NOT possible to publish a game with Voodoo.
    even if your game have the required retention figures, it's not possible to honor Voodoo contract with BB unfortunately.
    You can still use the BB for fast prototyping, but once accepted by Voodoo you should reimplement your game using Unity, Unreal or other engine ....

now about the process,
    • Voodoo gives you an access to a testing dashboard.
    • When you have a prototype ready for test, you submit a gameplay video
    • If they decide to test the game, you will get a GameAnalytics ID, and instructions to integrate GameAnalytics SDK and Facebook SDK to your game, and give access to Voodoo on facebook app.
    • Then you game moves to testing process, Voodoo will run a compain for 3 or 4 days, if the retention and UA are good the compain will continue till D7, otherwise it'll stop.
    • if you have +55% D1 retention and +22% D7 retention you move to publishing process.
    • if the retention is below that, but very close, many criterias will enter in consideration to see if they try with another iteration or not.

TL;DR :
    1. Focus on the game design and how to achieve good retention, don't worry about the test process and how the numbers are calculated
    2. Get prepared to re-develop your game with another engine if you sign a contract with Voodoo (this may change if BB3 become stable and get enough flexibility to be adapted to Voodoo sauce, but for now it's not the case)

alexsafayan and itzonator like this.
  19. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Thanks for breaking it down. One thing is not quite clear.
    When the game was accepted for testing to integrate Facebook / GameAnalytics SDKs, do I have to publish the game to my own iOS account on the US Store only? When going down to publishing, I will have to transfer the app?

20. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

When accepted for test, yes you have to publish the game on the US store using your own account, you can publish it worldwide or you can also test a pre-existing game, but voodoo will only promote it on US market and test retention on US market.
    if accepted, yes you have to transfer the app to Voodoo, and there will be a contract between you to ensure an guarantee the rights of each party.