Astral D Planetary Barrage (bb2)

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by cpullma1, Jan 13, 2019.

1. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

This is a game I've been building on and off for a few years now in my free time in BB2. Control your turret and defend your planet from asteroids and aliens, while collecting crystals to purchase weapons to aid in your fight for survival.

The plan is to release on the Google Play store once the game is finished.

Any feedback to make the game more interesting would be awesome!

Astral D Mind Map
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Maylock, wmfear, Bilz636 and 2 others like this.
  2. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

Wow, that Mind Map is impressive! I just watched your videos, amazing work, and just shows what Buildbox is capable of. Would love to know some more about how you went about building the mechanics, maybe some tips and tricks. I am looking forward to your release.

-Larry

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  3. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

There are a lot of tips and tricks I want to show that might help give people ideas for their own games, so once I get this released on the store I'll have more time to go over everything and explain how I got the game to work the way I wanted. My plan is to release in the next couple weeks, but no real date set yet. I'll update again soon!

Leighton likes this.
  4. Leighton

Leighton Avid Boxer

Look very impressive so far.
    That mind though. I've never seen so many UI's on each level.

cpullma1 likes this.
  5. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

Here's a new trailer:

The mind map was cut down in size, a lot of it was redundant.
    I'm doing some final touches on each world right now, but I'm basically all done.

Astral D Mind Map Update 1

[​IMG][/MEDIA]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    MAC420, swiftcurrent and Leighton like this.
  6. swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent Avid Boxer

Looks good, congrats!

7. cytan927

cytan927 Boxer

Wow! Looks interesting. Did you manage to test it on your iOS/Android device?

8. ditaz1999

ditaz1999 Boxer

amazing work buddy !

i ave couple of questions.
    1. where you bought those particles?
    2. drone squadron - is that real AI or just objects who travel in a path ?

Thanks

9. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Definitely see potential for success here. Good job!

10. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

Thanks you!

11. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

Yeah I've been testing on Android to make sure it runs smooth, older devices can struggle a bit so I've been working on optimization lately.

The particle effects were made in Photoshop, and the drone squadron doesn't use AI or paths. They just move in a forward direction and have a random angular velocity.

Thank you! I hope people enjoy playing it

MAC420 likes this.
  12. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Can not wait to play this

13. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

Well I'm having trouble optimizing the game so that it plays smoothly on all mobile devices. I have 3 atlases, but there are a lot of objects in each world and if I cut it down the game doesn't play the way I want it to. It can run alright on newer phones, but even then it lags a bit when multiple weapons are being used. I'm considering releasing the game on Steam, not sure though. Playing(testing) a windows build full screen is my favorite way to play it anyways, so maybe Steam is the way to go. I'll keep trying different ways to cut back on each world to get it to run well on mobile though.

14. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

hello cpullma1
    use back jump instead of star next chepoint and picture 90x90 mobile you will see the diffrance :)

15. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

same problem as you, I had so much connection between UIs 'star next checkpoint', until I read on the forum that star next checkpoint consume memory stick so I use back jump and boom my game function very well on any old mobile and also I have 13 atles :)

16. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

Thanks for the tip belmir. I checked my UI menus but I don't use start checkpoint, I either use default direct connection or back jump. Not sure if there's something else I'm missing that is causing a lot of lag.

17. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

After testing a lot of things I figured out what is causing all of the lag. So for the asteroids I have Large, Medium, and Small, and in the death animations of the Large there are Medium ones that spawn. The medium ones spawn the Small in their death animations, and finally the crystals spawn in the death animation of the Small. The idea was you need to break down the asteroids to get to the crystals, and it works good and it's pretty fun, but it appears to be the cause of the lag. I took out all of the crystals from the Small and made it so you don't collect any crystals at all in the game(for testing), I also stopped the Smalls from spawning in the death animations of the Mediums, and it runs great on my old device. So right now in my test file I have the Large asteroids spawning different variations of Mediums and Smalls, and nothing spawning in the death animations of the Mediums and Smalls(except an explosion image sequence) and it runs great.

I might need to have a few crystal objects that have a large random spawn range that enter the field similar to how the asteroids come in, or get rid of the crystals and just have a little gold icon float in at random times. I really want to keep the crystals spawning from the small asteroids, but it just seems very expensive and lags way too much. If anyone has any other ideas on how I should do the in-game currency I would love to hear them!

belmir likes this.
  18. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

hi cpullma1
    OK good luck I think your game is well done :)

19. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

MAC420 likes this.
  20. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer