Change Character In Buildbox 3 - Sample

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by weboha, Dec 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. weboha

weboha Avid Boxer

itzonator, Greatone and Dario like this.
  2. bgwiss

bgwiss Boxer

Hey Weboha,

This is great, but what if we want to allow the user to select a new character from a UI menu? how do we link that to what you have done?

Thanks
    Wiss

3. weboha

weboha Avid Boxer

i think its possible to make in UI but not easy. i didn't try yet.

4. superfabiuz

superfabiuz Boxer

5. nyamuk91

nyamuk91 Boxer

Any solution yet? seems like the API documentation is not yet complete to even do this through coding

6. bgwiss

bgwiss Boxer

for which part you need solutions?

7. nyamuk91

nyamuk91 Boxer

I mean unlock/changing the character through UI. I can't seem to find a way to connect "Lock Button" with unlocking characters

8. bgwiss

bgwiss Boxer

nyamuk91 likes this.
  9. nyamuk91

nyamuk91 Boxer

10. nyamuk91

nyamuk91 Boxer

Just looked into the BBDOC. It solved one of my problems, however, it is not the "buying/unlock character" functionalities that I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is something like having a character that is locked and can only be purchased by a certain number of coins. The button itself has several states like "Normal", "Locked", and "Selected". The button can only be clicked if the user has the required amount of coins. After the user had purchased the character, the character is then unlocked. This is doable in BB2 however in BB3, the "Lock Button" that supposedly served these functionalities is not fully working.

However now that I have some pointers, I believe I can do this with scripting by manipulating Settings variable (though I foresee that it will be a mess). Hope that the "Lock Button" is fully functional in BB3 final release (which I believe is around the corner?)

11. bgwiss

bgwiss Boxer

I think it is possible to do with scripting, however the coins still don't work in BB3, the only counter is points. In a previous discussion with BB team, they have mentioned the purchasing and unlock buttons will be revealed in the final version as these are still beta version.

12. weboha

weboha Avid Boxer

i think its possible to make lock and unlock with buttons and scripts. i will try this week and if i can i will share.

landofgreendev likes this.
  13. Leighton

Leighton Avid Boxer

Code:
    function init(){
    }

function update(dt){
    }

function signal(name, value){
        if(value){
            let amount = this.attribute('Amount');
            this.scene().addScoreCoin( amount );
        }
    }

I figured out how to use coins Just change AddScorePoint to AddScoreCoin

Nickaroons likes this.
  14. landofgreendev

landofgreendev Boxer

Did you manage to figure this out? I have made a Character unlock UI but I am having trouble trying to link the lock/unlock buttons with a new character.
    For example, when the user collects enough coins to unlock a new character, they can press the character and the button is unlocked - they can then press their new character and when they play the game, they will be playing as the new character. - That is what I am trying to do, has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks in advance! :)

15. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

As of this very moment BB3 doesn't have the in-game currency feature fully implemented, your case, characters is currently not functioning as planned I think. You are not able to choose the character within the Lock button and Unlogic logic. This is also true when you try to use Scenes and World and World Scene.

However, what you can do is copy your world, place character that player buys as Actor within this copied world. Now use the Lock button and Unlock logic to unlock a Menu, appears this feature is implemented. Now setup the Actor/multiple characters up as normal for in-game currency sale but it will actually link to the new copied world you setup for each character. I know it is a cheesy work around, but should work as long as each of your copied worlds has a unique menu to link to.

16. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

This is something that should hopefully be Doable by the full release

17. landofgreendev

landofgreendev Boxer

Great, thank you for the help! I'll try and have a play around with it :) Yes, I have spent a lot of time trying to get a scene unlock to work but that obviously isn't in BB3 as of yet:( I only need to get the Character unlock and Scene unlock working before I can release my game.

Awesome, glad to hear it may be in the full release - It's something I know quite a few people are trying to accomplish in BB3 - I for one really need this feature added :) Is there any idea of when the full release would be? I understand this may not be possible to say, but I'm looking forward to the full release!

18. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Cool, pretty sure this trick will work for your needs and you'll get it released.
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  19. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Played with this a little bit in BB3. I was wrong, my idea has a couple of issues. First, although it appears Menu Lock/Unlock has been implemented when you add items to the UI, it actually is not, no link/connection is made so you can connect to the designated menu. So, I was wrong, this trick will not work currently either.
    I also realized a possible different issue , which is what I was actually trying to test. After the player buys a character using my technique, there isn't a way for the system to remember that you want to start at this new world, rather than the default world. Thought I might have a fix for it, but then seen that no connection is available after using the Lock/Menu feature.

20. landofgreendev

landofgreendev Boxer

Thank you so much for trying! Was just about to test it out. I really appreciate the help - hopefully it will be fully implemented in the BB3 release, alongside scene unlock!