Newbie With Platform Questions

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by BrettNature, Dec 27, 2018.

1. BrettNature

BrettNature Boxer

Season's greetings!

I recently subscribed to Buildbox hoping to create some minimal retro-style platform games. However, the documentation and lack of assets provided are not satisfactory to create a game in an hour. I have a print media and web design background and I've been gaming since the days of Atari. Nothing is going easy for me right now. LOL

QUESTION 1: Can I mix and match "worlds" such as Default Portrait and Landscape, etc.

I want to have alternative paths to exit a section or scene of the game. Something along the lines of Mario Brothers where he jumps down into the pipes to find a secret area of coins on the early levels. I'd also like the character to climb upwards from the horizontal setup. Is this even possible with Buildbox?

QUESTION 2: The maximum background image size is 2040 x 2040 pixels. Is it possible to set up scenes as a square and lock the background image somehow to show a change?

QUESTION 3: I suck playing games with a keyboard. Could a Nimbus Wireless Controller be used instead?

TECH SPECS: I am using Buildbox 2.3.7 on a new iMac—running the latest version of Mojave—and I have maximum ram, upgraded graphics card with a fast fusion drive. The Buildbox app is running extremely slow for me.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Super excited to put this program to the test!

Cheers,
    Brett

PS—What do you think of the new PIXELBOX?

2. BrettNature

BrettNature Boxer

Super Metroid and Castlevania are other games I would like to role model in 2D.

3. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

I also use an iMac with similar specs as yours, only difference being I upgraded my CPU to the quad core Intel i7 due to using Unity and Unreal engines as well.

Make sure Time Machine is not running a backup while using Buildbox, this will slow things down considerably. Also make sure, if you are using Adobe Creative Cloud, that it is not doing something in background as well.
    I am assuming you installed Buildbox onto your Fusion drive and not on the cloud, the cloud at times can get kind of laggy, but this is due to cloud issues and not your iMac.
    I have not experienced any slow down issues with Buildbox and iMac and even when these things are busy in the background I barely notice anything.

BrettNature likes this.
  4. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

This is tricky, because in Xcode and in Android Studio, once you export your Buildbox game to them, you need to setup as Portrait or Landscape, so mixing the two together is something I have never tried and my first thought is that it is not possible.

BrettNature likes this.
  5. BrettNature

BrettNature Boxer

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way. The "hidden areas" could be an alternative path that opens to a horizontal screen. Is it possible to exit a screen from more than one location? Perhaps I would duplicate the exit screen and change the location where the character returns to that screen to continue? Ideally, I would like to have some areas like this to encourage the player to play again if they missed something.

6. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to exit the scene from maybe the side instead of the top or bottom.

In Buildbox 2+ this is fairly easy by using a portal, in Buildbox3D it is a bit more complicated since there is no portal feature.
    You would have to do this with some code, make your own script, if you want a smooth transition from one scene to another. This isn't something I have played with, since I haven't needed such a feature. I'm sure it can be done.

The first thing that pops into my mind is to setup an invisible object, and when collided with it would trigger a script that would move character to the next scene you want it to go to. This would give you a smooth transition.

Since Buildbox 3 is still in Beta I have not even looked at the API for it, but I am sure it can be done. There are boxers here in the forums that have been creating scripts, maybe one of them can provide you with a solution.

I may not be understanding what you are looking for.