Buildbox 3.0 Beta4

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by NikRudenko, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Just checked out the space shooter demo and tbh that is a lot of trouble to go through for a health bar. Gotta try and keep it simple.

Also @NikRudenko what did you mean by "Enabled objects support in UI nodes" the objects is in the ui is greyed out for me still

2. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Health bar support!!! Finally!!!!! No more hacks like in bb 2 :D

3. Steddyman

Steddyman Boxer

Congratulations on the release Nik. I'm looking forwards to putting it through its paces today.

4. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

ok there is a problem I can't open any of my 2.3.7 projects in BB3 Beta 4. I want to update my games that used the old way of doing a health bar.

5. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

@SpoonCrysis

6. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

Also, BB2 legacy world not in BB3 until release.

7. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Ok so that means i have to redevelop all my games just for buildbox 3

8. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

If you want to use nodes in 2D

9. Steddyman

Steddyman Boxer

This features confuses me in your list:
    - Play cooldown glitches are fixed

Play cooldown has never worked in BB3 and was one of the bugs I logged against the last beta. However, the Cooldown property (in fact all properties) now seem to have been removed from the level segments all together??

10. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

I think this is a great beta release and shows some great progress. I also notice it is much more stable as well.

However, we were told that BB3 was necessary due to Publisher SDK demands, we were told that these could not be added to BB2 and required a rewrite of BB from scratch. Yet, as of this beta release I see zero progress in this area, which I was led to believe was one of the main reasons BB3 was required, because it could not be done in BB2. But just because I see zero progress doesn't mean that the BB team are not working on it.

Now we have been told about the publisher/BB team meetings, we've been told that BB3 will be able to handle the publisher SDK demands, we've been told it will be super easy and built into BB3. So far it has been just words. I see no evidence of this support as of this beta release, but I'm keeping hope, or maybe it should be called faith, that this necessary code is coming. In my opinion this is probably the most important aspect of BB3, without it, BB3 is placed into the BB2 category, right back to square one, back to where we started. BB3 can be the coolest and easiest engine in the world, but if it can't handle private SDKs then its game over.

I would think this particular ability is something that testing needs to get busy on and I am hoping that the BB team is already testing this internally. I actually understand why this feature may not be in a Beta, having developers test this would be bad because we would be testing it live as we worked with the publisher and if it had bugs discovered during this process, publishers won't be happy.

I think the BB team have done a great job in a short time frame and so far have done their best to "walk the talk". I just want to reiterate how important this feature is and really hope that it will be witnessed in the real release coming in December.

bmsingha likes this.
  11. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Thanks a lot @NikRudenko for all the hardwork! This one looks great!

MattWills likes this.
  12. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

For me I honestly don't feel that publisher SDK is that important right now. What is important is adding in the things that help make games easier without coding. Like trey said this beta would have inventory, power up, progression nodes and yet they are no where to be found. I mean they added a way to do a health bar but I looked at it and that is way too much code for a simple health bar. Other engines you can make a health bar in less than 5 lines of code. I mean there isn't even a node for it.

I was hopeful that from what trey said would be added that beta 4 would introduce new and easier ways to create games without coding and this just isn't the case. They are moving away from the core ideology of what buildbox was and that was that anyone can make a great game without code.

Christoph and MattWills like this.
  13. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

I agree in the main. I must admit I thought the health bar would be simpler to implement. Maybe it can be refined for final release. I really want the power ups, inventory and progression nodes to be in the final release. I'm sure that as this is only the beginning that BB3 will get better and better.

14. steve

steve Avid Boxer

Thanks for the latest beta release. It seems a lot more stable. However it looks like it's introduced a fairly fundamental issue. If you duplicate an object it allows you to move the duplicated item using the movement arrows but not using the entity values (they just turn red and can't be changed).

To see what I mean load the default preset, duplicate the red cube and then try to type in new values for position, rotation or scale for the duplicated item. Trying to position the objects with precision using the arrows is very difficult.

If you save the project, shut it down and then reopen, it allows you to type in values, but it's a right old pain to have to do that.

15. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

is there any way to have 2 buildbox file open at the same time? mainly because I do want to start redeveloping my games into BB3 from 2.

16. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Hi
    really enjoy your game Drone 2049 just curious when your going to update for the iPhone X and XS? I get the black bars on each side when I run you game, but its a great game very well done.

particles likes this.
  17. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

ok had a few crashes when changing node linking in a character.

18. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That is very disturbing.

19. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

you can't avoid coding Buildbox are trying to cater to those of us that want to customise our games with our own touch, it allows people to bring the build box games to the next level, when you don't have coding as an option you limited in what you can do. I love buildbox 3 because its everything i want in a game engine and its a lot easier to use than say Unity, and its not as buggy as say gameSalad.

20. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

While we do understand that not everyone knows how to code, the most important thing to be worked on is the foundation of Buildbox 3 and not the nodes. Once buildbox 3s foundations yes please then it would be so much easier for us to release updates with a lot of new nodes added on.
    We will always maintain the easy-to-use philosophy that we have branded ourselves with. At the moment I do agree that it's easier for those who have knowledge of coding as there is much more than they could do but I guarantee you it will be just as easy for you once we start rolling out new nodes every so often which is something that we were never able to do with buildbox 2 because it was impossible.

We are only in Beta and we are already building a very strong foundation.

While I am not going to name anyone, we are currently working closely with publishers to be able to create custom SDKs that they will be more than happy to use. There is, however, no ETA on this but I want you to know that it is not forgotten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.