Ipad Pro 2018 11 Inch And 12.9 Inch Support

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by SpoonCrysis, Nov 24, 2018.

1. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Hi Boxers!!

Having an issue with getting Xcode to update the buildbox games to fill the screen of the new iPad Pro 11 inch and 12.9 inch resolutions. Anyone figured out how to get ride of the black borders round the game? on the new iPad Pros 2018's?

2. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

You need to increase your background and foreground asset sizes in your Scenes and UIs.

3. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

in Xcode or in buildbox?

4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

In Buildbox.
    You need to account for all possible screen area, even outside of your Game Frame for this reason.
    There are a few settings you could update too. Depending on your game “Auto” fit may work better than “Default” or “Fit to Height/Width” etc.

5. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Ok every other device and ipad sizes full screen but the 11 inch and 12.9 new ipad pros it mist be a build box issue causing this because a fresh xcode project has no issues

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

it is weird though that the new devices have this issue but the old ones not... the 12.9 inch and the 10.5 inch iPad Pros (both new) are a 4:3 ratio like the old iPads. Only the previous model 11 inch iPad Pro has a different ratio. But it is narrower so it should be no problem either.

I think the problem is somewhere else. Are you sure you compared all the different screens and if you have access to them can you make a picture? Or are you looking at it in the Xcode preview? If yes, there must be something else to it... maybe Buildbox doesn't use the correct screen adjustment for them? But I don't see any reason for this since it should be just equally handled for all tablets. Including all Android tablets.

Definitely weird.

7. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I've just tested the game I'm currently working on, on iPad Pro 12.9 inch iOS 12.0 (2nd Generation) and it fits the screen fine.

8. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Hi the other guys was talking about the old 10.5 and 12.9 models which have no issues are u running it on the brand new 11 inch that came out a few weeks ago and the new 12.9 ?

They have slightly different resolutions

9. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Hi I don’t think u know what ipad pros i am talking about the 11 inch is the first of its kind and it only came out a month ago or so, different form factor slightly wider resolution so not standard 4:3 any more same with the new ipad pro 12.9 screen

10. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

For those that don’t know the new iPad pro aspect ratio is 1.43:1 not 4.3 current build box doesn’t support this aspect Ratio

Christoph likes this.
  11. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I've just updated Xcode and tested on the new iPad Pro's and you're right.
    I've emailed Support.

Update:
    Support are aware of this issue and an update for 2.3.X will be worked on next week.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Well I would like to know why this is happening. I mean there are many different tablets out there. Does that mean as soon as it is a little bit outside of the 'normal' ratio that it is not supported??? That would suck for real.

13. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

doesn't affect Android because it will size for all tablets and phones on android.
    this is really just Apple device thing with the way they do device support in xcode.

Christoph likes this.
  14. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

Not true, I just built my game to the S8 and my background was cutoff at the top and bottom, in the UI's and game. I could have something set wrong, but I built and tested with Game Settings to Auto and Fit To Height, no difference in either one. This is using BB2.3.7.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would also really appreciate some help with this (sry @SpoonCrysis, not trying to hijack your thread) . I need the proper settings for auto fitting backgrounds and UI background images for 2,960x1,440 res (this is the S8 resolution).

Thanks
    -Larry

15. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Hi,I believe there is an option to enable game launcher on your samsung galaxy s8.Open game launcher app and add your game to it.On launch you will see the problem like you described but at bottom of screen you might see a game launcher icon and enable play full screen option and restart game.Hope this helps.

16. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

This was never fixed we are now on 2.3.8 you still get the black bars and now its compulsory with Apple now to have iPad pro 3rd Gen screenshots I can't submit and update because I am prevented to do so. Most likely the Launch image assets in xcode are not updated for the new iPad Pros.