Can I Create Dialogue Interaction Blurbs For A Side Scroller Game?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Jayant Mall, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Heya Boxers!
    Im new here so would appreciate the help :) Im creating a Side Scroller platformer which would also have Dialogue Interaction at certain areas (via Radio or interacting with characters/objects).
    e.g.: Say the character gets to an area and a text blurb pops on the app left corner, the character stops and cant move forward during this time, you tap the screen and your own response comes up and so on. Once complete, the character is able to move forward.

2. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Hi,Welcome to the forum.One way of doing it is add an object to game.And an UI with your dialog box and option to choose.When the character hits that object the dialog box appears.Add a Menu Jump in world on top of that object and check pause game world option.Finally connect the menu jump to the UI that has option.

Make a simple game to check this function first as you are new. Game world : a ball as a character and a platform to roll diagonally that make ball to roll and in end add object platform with collision object and top of it add menu jump that occupies the object box.Now go back to root/world add an UI with dialog and connect menu jump to it.

Hope this helps.

Jayant Mall likes this.
  3. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

First off THANK you so much for replying man! I was totally lost and had almost given up... Alright, so I don't totally understand all this (noob problems) but Im going to check it out right now and come back with some more questions if you don't mind :(;)

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  4. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Ok so I managed to add Dialogue to the game! Woohoo! Now what I need to do is try and pause the world when the dialogue blurb appears in the top right corner. It should be something to do with actions right? Im still lost on how to go about this...

Second would be that after you tap on the dialogue interaction, the player starts off from the start of the level rather than from where he's currently standing. This is because I connected the Menu Jump dialogue Node to the Load World Node... Any idea how I can resume gameplay from where the player stands?

5. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Well..In order to pause the game click on menju jump and you will see the checkbox on right to pause it.To continue game add a navigation button on dialog and select back from drop down on right or just select default and point back to the game.I guess you may select back option in navigation button and see if it works.
    I haven't tried dialog boxes for my games as i hate it :) So to give you exact method would be a tough thing for me .There are many ways to make things work as per our needs but major thing is, we have to figure it on our own . All i could tell you the possibility.
    Let me know how it goes :)

Jayant Mall likes this.
  6. The Pumpkin Studios

The Pumpkin Studios Moderator

Hey Jayant! i replied to your comment in one of the previous posts, but you can watch a tutorial i made that deals in creating Menu animations and Cutscenes in buildbox. feel free to skip through it to the part that solves your problem. also, feel free to leave any feedback if you like!

Jayant Mall likes this.
  7. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Thanks a lot man! This is Extremely helpful... I do need to ask, why do you need to duplicate the world? (for people who are using Single World BB subscriptions) also how can I let the pick up where he left off when he started the dialogue/cutscene (like a checkpoint)? Right now when I connect the end dialogue Node to the Load game world Node, the game restarts from the beginning...

P.S. I've liked the vid and Subbed your channel ;)

8. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

This is only one of many ways to do a cutscene, you don't need to duplicate the world if you don't want to as you could use a menu jump to have the same effect and when it completes it'll go straight back to the game from where you left off

Jayant Mall likes this.
  9. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Hmm.... Yes I tried the menu jump but how do you go about linking up the nodes? I linked the last dialogue node to the load game world node and the problem is that the game then restarts from the beginning of the level...

10. Josh (Nology Games)

Is this is BB3 or BB2?

11. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

BB2 (2.3.6) Im making a 2D game.

12. Josh (Nology Games)

Okay, you may be trying to over complicate this. Treat this setup as a pause menu. When you pause the game and then unpause, you will start from where you were.

Jayant Mall likes this.
  13. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

I see.... that makes sense. Im definitely pausing the game here but the problem is that when I reconnect my last dialogue to the Load section in the world node (please see attached) then it restarts from the beginning... Im trying to add a checkpoint of some sort but its not working out.

Attached Files:

14. Josh (Nology Games)

the issue is that you are reconnecting to the world when you do not need to. you will find that if you remove that, it will be easier to fo.

15. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

I see what you mean but here's what's happening (please see attached image). Scenario Explained.jpg

16. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Hey man, any suggestions for the above?