Questions About Dialogue, Cutscenes And Source Code

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Fractal, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Fractal

Fractal Boxer

Looking to buy Buildbox but need to know a few things

1) I want to know if its possible to have cutscene images between levels to help with story. Say you finish a level, shows a clear screen, then have about 5 images (click to go to next) and the level then starts. Is this possible?

2) Is it possible to have dialogue in a game. Say a platform game template, you reach a character and some onscreen text/dialogue comes up. Your player can only resume walking once the conversation is complete. Possible?

3) If they aren't possible, is it possible to export the raw code into Xcode and have a coder add this or does Buildbox encrypt the exported code somehow?

Appreciate your help guys.

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

1- yes
    2- sort of with some trickery
    3- You can export and manipulate anything in Xcode if you have the knowledge , i guess, It uses cocos2d so if your coding skills are good you should be able to do some things.
    If you search the forums you can find some things and tutorials of what others are doing within Xcode after export from BB

Christoph and Nihat like this.
  3. Fractal

Fractal Boxer

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. One last question.

Is it possible to use different game styles as levels. For instance First level was a platformer, 2nd was a top down shooter or zigzag, ect.

4. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Yea sure, you can use different worlds as levels and each world can have what ever game play style you want.
    Also check out the game showcase section and have a look at what others have created, will give you a fair idea of what can be done.
    Also use the search to find help with whatever questions you have, as most questions would of already been answered, and some guys even give a demo file so you can see how they done it.
    Also search helps and saves time waiting for people to answer.
    All the best.

5. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Ok so for the cutscene... how can that be done? Say I want to put a small slide-show style cutscene between certain scenes or even within a scene.

6. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

A cutscene can be done by using a menu jump. It could only be done in a UI menu but from there it's just animating it.

Jayant Mall likes this.
  7. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

I see.... Would you mind if you could elaborate a bit? Im sorry but Im new to BB here... I actually was seeing some of your videos yesterday on Youtube to try and find a solution to this...

8. The Pumpkin Studios

The Pumpkin Studios Moderator

Hey @Jayant Mall i will create a video tutorial for animation in buildbox somewhere around tonight, as soon as i do that, i willpost it here.

9. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Ok great man! Do let me know when its up ;)

10. The Pumpkin Studios

The Pumpkin Studios Moderator

Here is the tutorial link. feel free to skip through between to the area that interests your concern. feel free to leave feedback!

Phil H and Jayant Mall like this.
  11. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Thanks a lot man! This is extremely helpful... I do need to ask, why do you need to duplicate the world? (for people who are using Single World BB subscriptions) also how can I let the pick up where he left off when he started the dialogue/cutscene (like a checkpoint)? Right now when I connect the end dialogue Node to the Load game world Node, the game restarts from the beginning...