Beta 3

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by MattWills, Oct 1, 2018.

1. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

Hi @Buildbox Just checking if Beta 3 is getting released today?

Thanks

2. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

This would be good to know early if it is still on track to being released today.

Also what is expected to show up in Beta 3?

3. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Beta 2.5 ready to ship in about 2 weeks. This will include path, android, voodoo integration, and tons of fixes/improvements.
    Although I don't see anywhere that the next beta is supposed to be release on 10/1.

4. whitedogapp

whitedogapp Avid Boxer

What u mean in Voodoo integration

5. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

There will be a publishers section added to BB3 for major publishers where you can find checklists, SDKs, and plugins that they require.
    "For instance, Voodoo's section, you'll be able to install any SDK that isn't natively shipped with Buildbox 3, enter in all your API keys in the same place, and also see a checklist from them on what they want to see in your game."

6. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

- We think BB3 won't come out for a long time

(We understand that you guys, as well as publishers, want more control of the software. We're pushing extremely hard to make this happen, and we are moving fast. October 1st we'll have Beta 3, which we plan to be completely useable for 3D games, and we'll soon follow up with Beta 4 with 2D, and of course the final release before the end of the year. Those dates are hard set and we are on target).

I just pasted the above message from Trey that was left in the Forums section "No Love From Voodoo". This is why we are wondering if the release is going to be today.

7. thatguyminib

Honestly, since that post, I haven't heard anything at all from the buildbox staff.

8. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Ah!, No release today going to be a little longer. See the official announcements thread.

9. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

BB3 Alpha 2 took about 6 months to update, it has moved to Beta 2 in less than 6 months, but with few changes and many errors.
    People, please, let the BB team work without pressure, they are currently working on BB 2.3.7 and BB 3, I think it is best to get BB3 in good condition and without errors if we have to wait 1 year , we have BB 2 to make fantastic 2D games.

LBPToo likes this.
  10. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

I'm with @jcalle in that it does absolutely no good to complain, speculate or try to pressure, which I doubt has any affect anyway.

My experience was different from @jcalle as far as improvements from Alpha 2 to Beta 2. For me there were dramatic and material improvements...though with that said, if you're one of the ones that can't use it at all because of say the graphic card issue on some PC's then I can certainly see how that would be your view.

As far as being happy because BB2 is available to use, that really doesn't help me because I'm developing a 3D game........but it should go without saying, if you've decided to use BB3 to develop a game hopefully you were realistic about the obvious challenges there would be using beta software to try and make a finished product,

I set my expectations low and they've been exceeded.

jcalle likes this.
  11. thatguyminib

Honestly, my only problem is when they set dates, and then on that day say it will be delayed when they already know that a lot of people are looking forward to it.

Either set a date if you can't make it let people know at least the day before the deadline or don't set any dates and just give little updates on what has been fixed/what's being worked on for the next update.

12. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Yep, I get it. I ran R&D departments for many, many years, and we never gave release dates, nor what was going to be in a release, until we had a firm date....but that was also high-end business software that we sold mostly to Fortune 500 companies and there was no tolerance for non-delivery as the stakes were too high. Game software really isn't the same, and to tell you the truth I don't know what is the right thing in this case as I don't have any directly applicable experience. It's a tough call. One thing I will guarantee you, you're not going to satisfy everyone no matter what you do. Personally, since it's totally out of my control, I just don't worry about it. When a release comes out it comes out. I take any "suggested" dates with a grain a salt. Set your expectations low, then you won't be disappointed.