Buildbox 3 Beta Nodes Problem

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by Mohamed Sakr, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Mohamed Sakr

Mohamed Sakr Boxer

Hey guys,

I can't add inputs or outputs to the UI of any node (aka can't customiza them).
    I dunno what I'm doing wrong, here is an image, as you can see, the script node has no inputs.
    please advice if this is a bug or I'm doing something wrong.
    bb3d nodes.jpg

2. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

The other thing that's necessary for new nodes, which I assume both will be part of the API doc, is there needs to be a way to specify parameters that show up on the interface on the right.

3. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Okay, thanks to your post I looked into the nodes editing a bit further, and maybe someone has documented this already, but you can add parameters right now, but it works a bit weirdly. When you have a node in editing mode, you'll see at the bottom of the editing panel, "Add Attribute"(what I was calling parameters) I didn't think this was working, but it is. Click on Add Attribute, select the type of attribute you want to add and select it...nothing happens. Now go over to your node and click off of the node to deselect it, then double-click on it again, and voila, there's your new attribute. There is a place in some of the attributes to say whether it's connectable and you can check as an input or output, but I can't see that those have any effect on the node, though I might just not understand their use.

BTW, I did not check one of the new attributes to see if it was really accessible in the JS.

Also, the "Add Attribute" button does no show up unless you have double-clicked on a node to enter JS editing mode.

4. Mohamed Sakr

Mohamed Sakr Boxer

same problem as posted, check the image.

5. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

You have to script their usage. You can't just add one and have it work. You add attributes to send data from one node to the next. You script what that data is. Another way to use attributes is to have it set settings like jump height and whatnot, but you still have to script what it does. The attribute just lets you change the numbers or whatever in this case so you don't have to access the script each time you want to make a change.

6. Mohamed Sakr

Mohamed Sakr Boxer

I tried this, I'm a developer BTW :) , the problem is: I can't see these attributes on the node (to connect them for example)
    at least I want a minimal example of a step by step to create an attribute like the Enabled input of any node.

7. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Add the attributes along with whatever settings you want then exit out of the objects node window and then go back in. Everything should be there.

8. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Hi jmiller8031,

Yes, attributes will show up if you exit out of JS mode as I stated above, but Mohamed is asking how to get new connections on the nodes to show up, which I also would like to know. As I mentioned, and Mohamed showed, you can set up an attribute to be connectable, and as input of output, but they don't show up. I'm assuming the implementation just isn't completed yet.

9. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

I can get them to show up exactly how I stated. The issue is that saving changes seems to be buggy at the moment. It is fully functional though.

I have made and connected custom nodes many times now. All the existing orange nodes you see were made this way.

I’ll make a video tomorrow if you don’t figure it out by then. I’m on my phone right now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  10. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Thanks, got it. I was switching out of node mode and going back to the 3D World then switching back and nothing happened. I had to close the object I had open in node mode, then double-click the object to re-open, then the links showed up.

BTW, I have not been able to find a way to delete attributes I've added. I can edit them and the changes are saved, but hitting the X to delete doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks again.

11. Mohamed Sakr

Mohamed Sakr Boxer

thanks, works now, so object node window must get closed for this to update.