Buildbox 2.3.6 Official Release

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andy, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Hey guys,

I am pleased to announce the official Buildbox 2.3.6 release. The major new feature is the 3rd party advertising API. This new method will allow faster SDK updates and better customization of advertising. This feature will continue to be updated and improved. The current method of including advertising from within Buildbox is unchanged and continues to work.

We have provided an example for setting up MoPub as a customer ad network on both iOS and Android using the new API.
    http://help.buildbox.com/advertising-and-sdks/using-the-3rd-party-api-mopub-example

Another big update in this release is better detection and support for video drivers and graphics cards on Windows based systems.

MAC: http://download.buildbox.com/buildbox/2.0/Buildbox.dmg
    WIN: http://download.buildbox.com/buildbox/2.0/Buildbox.exe

We will trigger the auto-update in a few days. For now, you can download directly from the links above. Please report issues to support@buldbox.com so we can evaluate and get them in the queue for fixing.

Changelog
    Code:
    added: AdIntegrator class for better custom 3rd party SDK support
    updated: improving OpenGL support on Windows
    updated: font editor improvements, checking limits, auto-sizing font atlas
    updated: faster encrypting/loading/saving/exporting of BBDOCs
    updated: event observer now uses running total for coins/currency
    updated: removed native x86 support for Android devices, Intel discontinuing (should use emulation instead)
    fixed: possible build issues with new Android Studio 3.1.x
    fixed: no default value if dropdown lists are empty
    fixed: sidebars not refreshing correctly
    fixed: purchase complete sound is triggered when purchase failed
    fixed: animation twitching due to incorrect sprite offsets
    fixed: share button fix for Android 8
    fixed: preview not coming to the front when button clicked
    fixed: prevent multiple connections between the same two objects.
    fixed: wrong button state with purchase button/ one-time purchase
    fixed: game services asking to login if the player previously denies
    fixed: opacity is not working on the Start screen
    fixed: crash when canceling loading
    fixed: purchase button sound ignoring states
    fixed: Google sign-in prompting multiple times
    fixed: ground collision sound cut off
    fixed: crashes while saving or loading BBDOCs
    fixed: one-way platform broken if rotated
    fixed: character control buttons stop working
    fixed: full-screen action animation for iPhone X is not correct
    fixed: multiple random crashes on Android
    fixed: rapid firing component action locks up
    fixed: saving a large game with preview open takes much longer than normal
    fixed: Event observer Time Out broken, can not edit Time value
    fixed: crash related to linkers
    fixed: cant change color of particle emitters
    fixed: action duration not correct
    fixed: rapid firing of action locks up game
    fixed: issue with Windows based exports
    fixed: fields not able to be empty after initial edit

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    tlgasimsek, Benfont, AaroArts and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

FYI, any current issues that have been reported we will try to have ready for the next release.

3. yEzass

yEzass Boxer

4. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

What happens with Android 64bits (arm64-v8a)?
    As of 2019, only 64bit games can be published on Google Play.
    Also indicate that a 64bit game performs much better than in 32bit.

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

We are already looking at adding arm64, will make a post about it at the appropriate time. This requirement is over a year away.

6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Will Apple depreciating Open GL in iOS 12 affect Buildbox?
    I know it takes a while for any depreciations to be completely redundant, but just curious. Thanks.

Also, any chance we can get another label option added so we can combine all “best” scores from each worlds into one? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

You can add any 3rd party SDK using the API, right now that requires a programmer. Eventually, we will provide a method for packing the SDK as a plugin. This could be shared by an ad network or other customers.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

We will address this when needed, I don't expect anything to change significantly in the next 18 months. Plenty of time to address this. It should have no effect on customers and will all be done automatically.

9. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

@Andy What of the issue with the connections and paths? We have highlighted both these issues to Sean. Has it been solved in this build too? Thanks

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I don't believe that this is in the release, but I'm not 100% sure. However, there are some fixes for connections (see changelog). I would suggest to email support for an official update as I don't know off hand the status of this specific issue.

11. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

when will the export issue be fixed? Or it is necessary to still be hands to change ?
    And with advertising-you have to be a real programmer.
    Some have to drive a code.

12. Lamora

Lamora Avid Boxer

When you spawn something as a Fixed object you can move it when colide with character

13. Lamora

Lamora Avid Boxer

Also hierarchy on asset list on spawn object is not working, what it mean is that for example:
    If in character default animation you put some object that you want to spawn behind character animation and you will move in to the back or on battom of hierarchy, in gameplay that spawn object will appear on top all the time

14. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

What export issue? With the new version of Android Studio? If that is what you are referring to then it is fixed. Currently, everything still works as it always has. The API is an additional feature. We have not removed anything yet.

15. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

so every time how to export, need to fix.:(:(:(:confused::confused::confused::confused:

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

What issues do you need to fix? Have you contacted support? Point me to a thread on the forum.

17. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@ilinovik

I talked to @theseanjonathanconnor and did a little research based on what he told me and a quick reading of your past threads. It seems like it might be the gradle cache that is messing things up. Try to delete the gradle cache folder "~/.gradle/caches" then do a clean export and try to build with Android Studio.

No matter what I try on my Mac to duplicate the issue you are having, everything seems to be working OK. So it does seem like a local issue on your system.

18. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

I'm having a few issues with Advanced Moves tied to Component Action Buttons in 2.3.6, I noticed in the update one of the fixes says "fixed: rapid firing component action locks up", this seems related.

So in version 2.3.5 when a player would press and hold a Component Action Button tied to an object via an Advanced Move with a timeout value of 0, the object would continuously move until the player let go of the button. Like if an Advanced Move had a Linear X value of -5, once the Component Action button was pressed the object would start continuously moving left until the player let go of the Component Action Button, basically providing a rapid fire type button like the way holding a Shoot or Jump button works.

Now two things have changed, the second of which seems like a bug.

One is that when the player lets go of the Component Action button the object continues to move, which maybe was how it was supposed to be originally, the idea being that a timeout value of 0 basically means indefinite. That isn't such a big deal because adding a second Advanced Move (one tied to the button and set to "Activate on Release") to the object negates the movement, and solves that problem.

** However ** Two, and more importantly, the Advanced Move tied to the Component Action button and the Advanced Move tied to the Component Action button release only work the FIRST TIME the button is pressed and released, the button basically stops working after that. Curiously enough if a third Advanced Move with event type "Collision" is at some time applied to the object the Component button will once again operate. But only ONCE and then it stops working again.

Anyone else having issues with button controlled Advanced Moves?

I should mention it doesn't seem to be a problem if the timeout value on the Advanced Move is set higher than 0, like .1 or 1. But those values don't allow for rapid firing (i.e. the player holding down the button). The button will work over and over again, but each time the button is pressed you get movement for only the amount of time set by the timeout, which doesn't allow for continous rapid fire style button holding movement. And if the timeout is set high like 10 or 100 to try and allow for button holding style movement, any attempt to stop the movement with an Advanced Move set to "Activate on Release" does not have any effect on the objects movement until the timeout has expired. I can kinda get it to work a little by using a second differently named Component Action button set to "Activate on Release" but its kinda screwy and doesn't provide consistent results.

krunal308 and Mr Goodcat like this.
  19. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

This is how Advanced Moves are supposed to work.
    You can set a Time Out value for the Activate on Release though.

Also, if you are looking to have rapid fire continuously, you can either start the shooting on START or remove the Activate on Release :D

20. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

Thanks for the reply. I can understand that maybe the operation is now as intended, as far as the timeout values are concerned.

The issue I'm mostly asking about and having a problem with is that when the timeout of the Advanced Move is set to zero, the Advanced Move only works the first time the Component Action button is pressed / released. So if pressing the button sets it to permanently move an object up (like by giving a linear y value of 5) and then releasing the button sets it to permanently stop moving (like by setting it back to 0), when the button is pressed again, a second time, third time etc, nothing happens. It does not start moving up again. It just stops working.

Unless the object is impacted by a separate Advanced Move of type "Collision" some time down then road, then it will function again, but only once, and then stop working again. A button seems like it should work more than once, and definitely did in previous versions.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Christoph likes this.