Gdpr - Collecting Consent From End-users & New Sdks For Bb

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Christoph, May 17, 2018.

1. PlayShaft

PlayShaft Boxer

2. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Yeah but I mean at least for the mean time that I don't have working consent SDKs, at least I'll still feel alright serving non-personalized ads with Google because then it isn't really a GDPR thing but a very light and flexible policy that existed long before, and cookies (even with the way Google is using it) would be allowed in the case of GDPR since it would fall under "legitimate interest" and it has minimal privacy impact. But then I realize, I don't know if the option to choose personalized or non-persinalized ad serving by geolocation would exist by then, if not I'd just switch to another ad serving company that does while the SDK hasn't been implemented in BB yet. Hope everything works out great. @AaroArts

@Astro Games link doesn't work for me, what's in there?

AaroArts likes this.
  3. Quantico

Quantico Boxer

All networks should have a "GDPR compliance" checkbox as an option for each app.
    In my opinion that should be mandatory for every ad network.

4. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Even better, the consent should be in the Google Play and App Store themeselves when downloading the app hahaha. When you upload an app on these stores, you put some stuff about your ad account IDs in the dashboard and then poof. Every time a new user (if checked the box saying that he/she is an EU citizen and agrees to approve this consent whenever he/she is within EU territory) downloads your app from the page the stores send the consent data. Users can then revoke their consent in the game page too. That would be heaven.

I think asking for consent every time the app loads is a bit too much, as mailing lists and websites I'm subscribed too have only needed my consent once.

5. Quantico

Quantico Boxer

yeah, well with admob and appodeal sdk, it seems its only the first time, then the sdk stores the info on the device and sends the signal, but even so, publishers should have the blocking control over that, I have read that the diference of serving personalized or non-p ads is between 5 and 10% revenue, so... ad networks have more to win on this subject than the publishers, maybe thats why no dashboard controls...at least for now

6. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

I've read an article on appodeal's website about the new sdk no longer supporting Buildbox. So will it still be possible to use appodeal mediation? If so, how?

7. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I’m pretty sure we will have to wait for Buildbox to integrate it, as it sends the consent token to google mobile ads SDK which needs to be modified to receive it, so it won’t be as simple as copy/pasting a few new methods into our exports like HeyZap for example.

8. PlayShaft

PlayShaft Boxer

But how should we be when the 25th comes?

9. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

To be honest, other than turning off ads all together, I’m not sure how else to make games compliant without integrating Consent SDKs.

If buildbox continue to offer Admob support, they will have to update it to include the Consent SDK at some point, as with all networks.

Really everything should already be in place ready for the transition, but that’s difficult when Consent SDKs are only now becoming available.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  10. Lamora

Lamora Avid Boxer

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I agree. This should be implemented in the appstores. Like a permission on android. Apple should do that too. It would be the cleanest solution and could easily be geo located.

But since this is not happening we really need the Buildbox team to react fast now. I can’t afford to lose money by turning off ads. So I won’t. And I cannot afford to not comply either. If a top game gets publicly burned because of something like that and the developer has to say that he used Buildbox and that Buildbox officially didn’t care. That would be a PR problem for Buildbox too.

So I really think that we all are together in this one. And if Buildbox is thought more than only a hobby tool then I expect to get a solution. I’m a pro subscriber after all.

And just to clarify. I don’t think it’s an excuse to say that SDKs are just becoming available. Buildbox should have communicated with their contacts from the ad networks to prepare the software in collaboration. It seems there hasn’t been done anything from what I see.

It’s very disappointing.

AaroArts likes this.
  12. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

I fully agree, given App stores might not do anything immediately then this should seriously be the Buildbox team's number 1 priority to find ways forward over all other product updates. Come on guys this is really serious!

In the meantime I don't know what's feasible here but there must also be some workarounds whilst SDKs are introduced. What doesn't work is if we give customers the option of not accepting the privacy option and it then means they have no ads showing.

However, could there be an approach where we have a button link to privacy statement (we could explain what is/isn't captured to assure the player) and then a small tick box on the front screen to accept the terms. If the player tries to use the "PLAY" button or equivalent then it doesn't start the game but instead shows a message on screen to say that the game cannot be played as the player has not ticked the accept privacy statement.

I'm not aware of whether this would sidestep the legal issues but I'd assume that the player is then in control of whether they accept the privacy terms and the game doesn't track anything until they accept. Not sure what it would mean if the player accepted and then deselected to not accept. Given all the emails we're getting on this, it seems to be a one off agree/disagree. So perhaps once the player has ticked the box it then gets greyed out and not changeable without a game reset (or delete).

Just trying to see whether we can move forward on this. Please engage with us on this a bit more Buildbox team?

Christoph likes this.
  13. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

This is the way King does it now

Attached Files:

Christoph likes this.
  14. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I’m not sure if this is a feasible solution, but maybe you could set up a UI at the start of the game with your Privacy Policy (or a link to it) and Consent Dialog, with Accept/Decline buttons where the Accept takes you to the Game and Decline redirects you to a Premium version in the App Store with no Ads.

Obviously this is just an idea, not advice, but this would ensure consent was given on every app-launch.

15. PlayShaft

PlayShaft Boxer

Hi! @Andy! Will you help us? We are very worried. I wanted to contact Google, but it turns out I need to have 100,000 downloads to chat with them. I wrote in support of the BB, but they told me to write to you. Do you have any ideas? What happens if we do not create a dialogue before the 25th? Is it possible to get around this requirement if we remove advertising? Perhaps there is a tutorial, how to implement a dialogue of consent? We will be grateful for any information.

16. Quantico

Quantico Boxer

@AaroArts that is more or less what I have prepared, but not with a link to another app, GDPR does not allow discrimination. I think the best solution is to have a "I Agree" button, "Leave" button, and "Remove ads" button in the consent window. That way the user still has an option to use the app.
    About the appstores, I dont think they will be able to have that option, I think it must come from each network, with the option to serve ads without collecting and processing "non-gdpr" data .

Check this link:
    https://medium.com/@perhaglund/making-my-apps-gdpr-compliant-part-2-c0cdf6a14501

17. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Unfortunately, I don't have a good solution for you. I cannot give legal advice on how to comply with the GDPR. Buildbox has the ability to allow a programmer to implement a customized advertising solution. This may be the only choice to comply in the short term. Otherwise, you may need to remove the advertising for EU countries temporarily.

18. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

This might actually work out! But how are we going to let the ad companies know the players are asked already?

19. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

How do we implement a customised advertising solution in Xcode?
    Specifically, how do we modify the exported Google Mobile Ads SDK code generated from Buildbox?
    Thanks for your help.

20. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

How can we use Video Rewards with customized advertising?

I mean what you guys basically are saying is that Buildbox is not for commercial use anymore if you target European countries. I really don't understand this approach. Why make Buildbox a Hobby software?

So I want you to ask directly @Andy:
    Is the Buildbox team interested to resolve this issue or not? I don't need legal advice. I know what I need to do. What I need is a solution from my engine seller (you) to be able to resolve it.

UpperCat, swiftcurrent and AaroArts like this.