Mayday! Guideline 2.1 - Rejection From App Review

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Appossible, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Appossible

Appossible Avid Boxer

hi guys, one of my app is rejected from Apple. It sounds serious. I need help. Thank you so much

First of all, here is what I updated in this version:
    1. changed app icon
    2. changed keywords
    3. added some localization.
    That's all about the updates.

and here is rejection from Apple below.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Guideline 2.1 - Information Needed

This type of app has been identified as one that may violate one or more of the following App Store Review Guidelines. Specifically, these types of apps often:

1.1.6 - Include false information, features, or misleading metadata.
    2.3.0 - Undergo significant concept changes after approval
    2.3.1 - Have hidden or undocumented features, including hidden "switches" that redirect to a gambling or lottery website
    3.1.1 - Use payment mechanisms other than in-app purchase to unlock features or functionality in the app
    4.3.0 - Are a duplicate of another app or are conspicuously similar to another app
    5.2.1 - Were not submitted by the legal entity that owns and is responsible for offering any services provided by the app
    5.3.4 - Do not have the necessary licensing and permissions for all the locations where the app is used

Before we can continue with our review, please confirm that this app does not violate any of the above guidelines. You may reply to this message in Resolution Center or the App Review Information section in iTunes Connect to verify this app’s compliance.

Given the tendency for apps of this type to violate the aforementioned guidelines, this review will take additional time. If at any time we discover that this app is in violation of these guidelines, the app will be rejected and removed from the App Store, and it may result in the termination of your Apple Developer Program account.

Should you choose to resubmit this app without confirming this app’s compliance, the next submission of this app will still require a longer review time. Additionally, this app will not be eligible for an expedited review until we have received your confirmation.
    -------------------------------

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Well without knowing what your App is or even what it looks like this would be an absolute guess right?

Is the app very similar to something else as per 4.3.0
    Are any keywords copyrighted eg: Disney, Coca Cola, APPLE!!

Either what you have changed has flagged something or whilst the App was previously approved the reviewer has caught something that was previously missed. But yeah from reading that list you'd better tread carefully.

Sorry cant really help anymore than that without seeing or using the App. Your on your own otherwise. Good luck.

Appossible likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Wow I have been rejected many times, but never with such a clear stance against the submitted game. Not even back then when I submitted a Trump game and offended with racist content. And this got me a permanent rejection of the game and probably blacklisted.

If you want you can share with me the app privately or if you want more opinion from others you can post it here publicly. But this looks like you have done something in a very bad way. And basically Apple is giving you a second chance. At least it sounds like it. You exactly know what kind of app you have submitted and if it violates one of those points. So if you are 100% sure this was a mistake, simply reply in the Resolution Center and resubmit, saying that there must be a mistake and in a couple days or week it will be accepted. BUT, if there IS something wrong with your app, you might better think about your action twice.

4. Appossible

Appossible Avid Boxer

Thanks for the suggestions

The app name is Triangle Field.

I added some keywords like facebook, tinder. but no Disney, Coca Cola, APPLE.
    I think there's no problem with facebook, tinder, right?

and I added most of the localizations in the ituneconnect list in English description and local language keywords.
    like Italian: English description and Italian keywords.

This game has been updated for about 5 times so far since Oct. last year, this is the first time I got this kinda rejection.

and I'm sure, in my game, there is no any violation that Apple mentioned in that rejection. So I'm going to reply the apple in the resolution center with
    <
    Hi,
    Thanks for your review.
    First of all, compare with the last approved version(2.8.2), in this version(2.8.3), we've just:
    1. changed app icon
    2. changed keywords
    3. added some localization.
    That's all about the updates.

And we've looked into this version of app, we've not found any violations that you've mentioned in the rejection. So now we have no idea how to get this work. Could you please provide us more detailed information? Thanks
    >
    And wait and see what's happening

5. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Your response looks good but also remember that Facebook and Tinder are both copyrighted trademarks. Placing them in Keywords can risk App rejection and removal.

Appossible and Christoph like this.
  6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

never use keywords like that. Take them out.

But it’s definitely weird that they didn’t reject it with only point 1.1.6 metadata. Keywords are part of it.

Appossible likes this.
  7. Appossible

Appossible Avid Boxer

Yeah, I have deleted those keywords.
    10 hours past, no reply from Apple.
    No idea how long it will take them to re-review.

8. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Well its the weekend. Nothing will get touched until Monday/Tuesday

9. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Yeah! I would imagine the paperwork and warrants for the FBI and CIA to get involved may take 24-48hrs to process :cool:

Astro Games likes this.
  10. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Boxer

Already had a similar issue in the past. The best thing would be to call them, they have a support number. They write everything down that you say and pass it to the apple support team. I told them how dissapointed I was for having my game refused due to “design spam”. Told them to immediately let me talk to a supervisor. 2 Days later, I got a call back from the apple support team saying that they apologize and that they will immediately publish the game as there was no reason why it was refused.

Dont wait from an email, they will take years. Rush things up ;)

Appossible and Christoph like this.
  11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Appossible, AndyG and GoldenBoy like this.
  12. Appossible

Appossible Avid Boxer

Thank you guys, that's a nice advice. I'm gonna wait 1 more day and talk with them tomorrow

13. danielhannih

danielhannih Boxer

I guess you put keywords like Tinder and Facebook in the keyword field of hoping to rank for them? If yes, don't waste your valuable character limit in the keyword field for keywords you'll never rank! Try aiming for keywords that similar apps are ranking for and try to steal their position. :)

Appossible likes this.
  14. Appossible

Appossible Avid Boxer

Thanks for the advice!:)

15. Appossible

Appossible Avid Boxer

guys you know what, it's ridiculous

It got approved, but it's not the one that I talked about in this thread.

Here is the brief:

Game A (an update) was rejected with Guideline 2.1 on 8th. Apr.
    Game B (new one) submitted on 9th. and was rejected with Guideline 2.1 on 9th.

I called the Apple on 10th.

Game B was approved today 11th. without explaining anything to me.
    Game A still rejected.

I got No idea what Apple is doingo_O:D

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Good to see that, essentially, nothing has changed in the 8 years I've been doing this. :rolleyes:

Kevin W likes this.
  17. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

On the brighter side, at least Apple communicate. Amazon just pull the app first.

18. marza91

marza91 Boxer

Very sorry for posting in an old thread, but could you please give some details about what you asked/told Apple during the phone call? I have a rejected app for the exact same reason, and some googling has told me the re-review process might take up to two months for these kinds of rejections. Did Game A ever get approved?
    Any details at all would be enormously helpfull, as our app is already way behind schedule when it comes to release :(

19. Appossible

Appossible Avid Boxer

Sorry to hear that man. my Game A is still not approved. After being rejected for 1 and half month, I submitted a new version 2 weeks ago, and it's still "in Review". LOL

and for the phone call, I just asked them that why the two games are rejected with same reason but there is no any related issue on the games. They said they would look into this. Then Game B got approved on the next day.

Now I'm kinda giving up the Game A and going to reskin it and submit a new game.

20. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

Hi, can you please provide us a Apk for demo purpose so we have better idea as many things explained above and i have the same opinion as other but i want to explain 3.1.1, As i have not played your game so just guessing that your game may have store that offer character or assets purchasing/unlocking by real money if that is the case Apple won't allow your app without a proper restore mechanism, previously i and many other developers here do have a store and offer unlocking with real money but Apple start rejecting the game and i do have my games in the past approved without the restore mechanism so a workaround is to remove shop items with real money and replace them with a coin unlock mechanism, hoping it will be helpful for you and good luck with your game.