Tutorial Appodeal Mediation + Buildbox

Discussion in 'Advertising' started by Christoph, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Logo_red_appodeal.png
    BUILDBOX WITH APPODEAL MEDIATION
    Video Rewards / Interstitials / Banner Ads

Last updated: March 2nd, 2018
    Note:
    *** Subscribe to this thread to get notification each time I update this post. ;) ***

To use Appodeal Mediation follow the corresponding guide depending on what version of Buildbox you use. All the guides use the latest Appodeal SDK (v2.1.7 at the time of this post).

Download:
    Note:
    If something is not clear in the guides let me know. Have any questions? Reply to this thread. If someone has experience with Appodeal I'd love to hear what you think about it. And do you have any tips on how to use them, please share your knowledge. If you research them a little more, check out as well their blog which has a lot of useful information:
    https://blog.appodeal.com/

Hope this is useful. Cheers!

Changelog:
    February 19th, 2018: v1 Initial release!
    February 20th, 2018: v1-1 changes to the Adcolony SDK aar file
    February 27th, 2018: iOS changed to PDF v2 as well as to the PTAdHeyzap.a file
    March 2nd, 2018: Added Eclipse guide v1 for Buildbox 2.2.9
    March 7th, 2018: Got rid of the guides for 2.2.9. Apparently it does only work with BB 2.2.3 and later, sorry!

WHY I DECIDED TO USE APPODEAL
    (Expand the quote please to get some background information)​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Akeemovic, Neutrinos, Wapps1 and 11 others like this.
  2. AstrologicMedia

AstrologicMedia Boxer

Really awesome Christoph!
    Finally I will be able to update to 2.3.3.
    I've been using Appodeal for the last two years, I like their dashboard and instant Paypal payments, their support is also very efficient.
    It would be great if BB team implement Appodeal as a native ad network.

Christoph likes this.
  3. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Nice one, @Christoph .

@AstrologicMedia In the semi-somewhat-near-future, we'll have an API that can connect any Advertiser/Mediator to BB.

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yeah. And really the best part is that it’s easier to setup than Heyzap itself. :) I’m excited to use them instead of Heyzap.

5. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

@Christoph is "mmedia.aar" missed? there were two aar files, if I'm not mistaken, adcolony and mmedia
    And it seems this way of Appodeal integration leads to more crashes on android. This is sad side of this method.

Christoph likes this.
  6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I have to check this with Appodeal directly. They provided the files so maybe in this newer version of 2.1.7 mmedia.aar is not needed anymore. Will get back to you as soon as I have a reply.

PS: I haven't had any crashes until now.

7. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

@Christoph Yep, probably in newer version it does not need mmedia. For 2.1.4 I had these things to integrate: http://prntscr.com/ih5xuw

By crashes I mean the game is not even started. So, as I understand you won't see these cases in crashes report. I remember people could not even start the game on some devices while without Appodeal integration using this method they could.

Christoph likes this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ok. Here the official reply:

The mmedia is an optional library, and needed only in case user have millenial/AOL account to connect it to Appodeal. If you don't have any AOL/Mmedial accounts then ignore it. It’s just a network and not needed.

justforward likes this.
  9. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

Thanks for clarification.

Christoph likes this.
  10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

@justforward: I got also a clarification on behalf of the crashes you mention. The problem is the Adcolony aar file. This file has included 5 architectures but Buildbox only supports 3 of them. So if you have for example adcolony arm-v8a libraries in your apk, but no libs for bb player, the phone with 64bit arm processor will look only for arm-v8a folder and obviously it would be unable to start the app without the main library.

I'm glad that you mentioned this @justforward. The Zip file to download was updated now by Appodeal (it's the same link included in the PDF) so the Adcolony file only includes the supported 3 architectures now.

I also added a changelog to the first post so everybody can see right away if there has been anything updated.

Please download the files once again (from the same link) so it doesn't crash the affected devices.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    justforward likes this.
  11. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

Awesome! Thank you very much

12. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

Great tutorial Christoph, thank you for the post.

Thats good to hear.

Christoph likes this.
  13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks to you guys @shpotasb for all the great assistance. :)

14. Androdev

Androdev Boxer

@Christoph Does the same process for Xcode v8.x? As buildbox v2.2.9 not officially support Xcode v9..

15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yeah, sure. Shouldn't be any difference. If you set it up can you report back if it works or not? The more testing people the better.

16. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I just updated the iOS guide to version 2.

Changes include:
    1. additional step 8 and 9 added to allow needed Calendar Usage in the info.plist file (this is need to upload your game to iTunesConnect).
    2. PTAdHeyzap.a file was updated so the music of your game now pauses correctly when a video ad is shown. Please download the ZIP file again (same link from the PDF applies).

Feedback as always welcome. Cheers and thanks for all the participation.

AndyG likes this.
  17. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Will this work with Chartboost? Any idea?

18. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes, but it's Appodeal who decides what ad networks are going to be enabled. Not you.

spicedbeangames likes this.
  19. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Oh. I meant without using Appodeal. I really would like to get Chartboost rewarded videos working, as I publish mostly on Amazon, and Chartboost are the only ones who support Amazon and give me crazy rates!

20. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

So I don't understand your question. This is not about Chartboost. This is about Appodeal Mediation. You are probably in the wrong thread mate. :)
    But having said that, Appodeal mediation works with Amazon and uses different Amazon providers like Chartboost, Amazon Ads, etc. that use exclusively ads for this specific platform so you don't advertise games for Google Play. It might work very well for your games over there. It's worth a shot.