Is The App Store Better Than Google Play In Terms Of Discovery And Getting Featured?

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by Starman, Feb 16, 2018.

?

Is the App Store better than Google Play in terms of discovery and getting featured?

1. App Store

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Google Play

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

Which one has a higher chance of getting more downloads or get featured?

2. Lamora

Lamora Avid Boxer

From my personal experience

App Store is way to go:

Easier aso
    More revenue from ads and in app purchases
    Human behind the review process

But im also on Google Play but im focusing right now on App Store since its a shame not to be both right :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Starman and Christoph like this.
  3. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Google is too crowded with so much crap. The submission process has become so bloated and the developer page is nothing but an eye sore. A couple of years ago, it would take just a couple of clicks to find whatever you wanted in your developer page - today, there's endless menus hiding behind a really poor UI experience.

Apple have bucked their ideas up with faster review times and a human approach.

4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Apple Store is the hot spot but ive always hated their upload process. Itunes Connect...gotta have xcode open....then some other crap. So confusing and 20 things you have to do.

Starman and adrogdesigns like this.
  5. Lazarus

Lazarus Boxer

Damn, that does sound tricky.

6. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

Thats funny, i have always found App Store submission to be far more easier. Google Play is a pain, and their new dashboard is crap.

spicedbeangames likes this.
  7. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

My impression of both stores so far (published 5 games and 70 business apps):

AppStore:
    A high quality business with hotly contested places. Not everyone is allowed in and it's hard to get to the top. Because real bouncers regulate the inlet, it seems sometimes a bit unfair, but it isn’t.

Play Store:
    A container where you can throw your products in and anyone can steal your idea and throw it in again. You can publish nearly everything as long as you don’t use brandet names or images.

But if you publish games you have to use both stores

adrogdesigns likes this.
  8. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Totally agree. Whoever designed the new developer console needs to be fired! It's an eye sore and one of THE most confusing things I have seen. It took me almost an hour trying to figure out how to make my game live! The old way, it was all on the same page. Now, you have to click several tabs, another page for settings, go back to another tab, and go live. Annoying.

adrogdesigns likes this.
  9. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

New google UI is confusing for sure. But once you have one it 2 or 3 times you know where to go. Same with Apple UI too i just hate that with apple you have to go to like 3 different spots. Not all in one.

noahcdesign likes this.
  10. noahcdesign

noahcdesign Avid Boxer

I like the App Store better! You can track your daily/weekly/monthly downloads and app-reviews on the itunesconnect iphone app. Google does not have a „Developer Console App“.
    Apple also has a human reviewing your app before going live, wich avoids spamming of useless apps.

There still are some pros of Google Play:
    - Developer Account costs 25$ one time
    - Your app is being published in much shorter time
    - You can edit more things without uploading a new build
    - You don‘t need OSx to run Xcode

There may be more pros for the google playstore but for me the process of uploading apps to the apple appstore is much more comfortable. On Google Play Store there are many things with compiling the buildbox code with eclipse or android studio wich can run into errors easily.
    Plus on the play store there are way more crappy apps uploaded than on the appstore wich gives you more visibility when uploading to the appstore.

But that‘s just me!

- Noah

AppNasty likes this.
  11. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Google allows you to make info apps without a fuss. Apple rejected my How To Draw Cars BB app lol Jerks. They said it belongs as a book not an app....meh meh meh.....lol

12. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

For my experience Appstore seems like the firts 3 days is better. But the thing is with Googleplay it might take sometime for your game to be popular and when it starts to rise up Google then starts to show your game in search of users. This seemed works better in Google altough I know this also happens in Appstore. Also in Google seems there is kind of a loop that can happen to your game. Like if your game starts getting 100 daily downloads it sort of sticks around there and it might rise when your total number of downloads increase let's say to a number of 10K something. But still I guess it depends on the retention and how long players play your game and they keep your game in their phones. One downside of Google Play is the ad revenues are way below than Appstore. What I see is Appstore competition is fierce and there fore your downloads might nit be so consistent like Googleplay. Also you can play with keywords and ASO more quickly at Googleplay than Appstore. Other than these factors as dashboard both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Like for Appstore uploading images and etc are pain. You need to arrange them for 3 different device sizes. With googleplay you upload only 1 size and that's all. This should also happen like this at Appstore.

Starman likes this.