All New Apps Must Support Iphone X

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AndyG, Feb 15, 2018.

1. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Starting April 2018, all new iOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with the iOS 11 SDK, included in Xcode 9 or later. All new apps for iPhone, including universal apps, must support the Super Retina display of iPhone X.

2. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Does BB already support this?

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Depends on what they refer to with 'support'. The screen adoption ratio is there, but the resolution is not. We are still kicking iPhone 5 resolution.

4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

In 2.3.x (and in 2.2.9 for that matter) it is already supported to the extent that Apple requires it to be supported, the same way that iPhone 6, 7, 8 are supported. If there are ever any issues beyond that, it will be fixed.

Technically, this is supported as well... but you need to be very careful as all atlases are shared between all devices. If you oversize images they will should up in a higher resolution on devices that support it. But this is a quick way to blow up your game if you are not smart about it. Best practice is to always use 1:1 size and not scale, but you could carefully take advantage of it if absolutely necessary.

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Oh, I didn't know that. So if I use a ratio of 2:1 they would show up in high resolution devices as 1:1? Basically having real sharp images on an iPad Pro or ATV?

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I know that iOS devices run at 1x, 2x, and 3x scale factors. Buildbox is 2x by design. But, I think the scale factor may just be based on points, not pixels. so at least 1.5:1 should work, maybe 2:1 would be even better quality... I'm not 100% sure, but it would be fairly easy to test comprehensively...

Just did a quick and dirty iOS simulator test... this is 2:1 image next to a 1:1 image. An on-device test would be more accurate but this works for illustration.

iPhone 5s simulator both images are poor quality (in their own way) as expected.
    Screenshot 2018-02-15 19.39.21.png

iPhone X simulator, clearly the left (2:1) image is superior quality.
    Screenshot 2018-02-15 19.41.33.png

Christoph likes this.
  7. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

Sorry for my question, but I don’t understand this o_O
    What does 2:1 mean? Or what export settings (photoshop) do you use to archive the better resolution like in your example?

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

It means you use a ratio of 2 to 1. So if your image in Buildbox is 100 pixels x 100 pixels, you would import instead one that is 200x200. Double the resolution. Which then would be used in a device that uses higher resolution like the iPad Pro or the iPhone X. This is great for those devices, BUT on the other devices instead it now has to downscale it which can hit performance hard. As Andy says, use with caution and with projects that use very little images in the atlases and elements in every scene. If not, you could have problems.

9. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

Oh ok Thank you!

I hope there will be at someday the option to use .svg

A Game with poor resolution looks much lower quality at the first impression