Free Assets From Different Websites Are Legally To Use Or Not?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by elalbanese, Feb 7, 2018.

1. elalbanese

elalbanese Boxer

Please can somebody tell me if i download and i use assets from different sites to my game project and this is legally or not, i mean if i use those assets to my project im abusing this copyrighted artist or not, however they are all free for example?!

AppNasty likes this.
  2. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Generally they will say what license its under. Some are free to use completely. Some are free to use ONLY if you credit them in your credits screen. Some are not for commercial use but private use only etc. I am sure you can find this info on the sites you're using.

elalbanese likes this.
  3. elalbanese

elalbanese Boxer

Okay i understand but what is i use some of them which are protection under license!

4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Best bet is to then contact the creator. They generally will give permission. Also, and this method is a bit more unorthodox, but parody laws allow you to MODIFY something so its not the same as it was before. What i mean is, Say you have an asset of a running character. Open it in GIMP or Photoshop and change it. Use the asset as a guide....a template, and make your own character with it. Change colors...change the face etc, you're using the asset as a template and guide, but remaking it into your very own thing. Best way to do it. Then you don't have to worry about copyright. Because you used their asset as inspiration, traced over it and made it your own.

elalbanese likes this.
  5. elalbanese

elalbanese Boxer

Thanks a lot this is very helpful. I already have my game let’s finished actually at all and into my project game have a downloaded assets from different site i dont know what to do now publishing the game or not?!

6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Show us some gameplay vid