Javascript And Buildbox 3

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by turbogames, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. turbogames

turbogames Boxer

Is it necessary to learn JavaScript to make games in buildbox 3

2. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

I seriously doubt it ! that's the whole point so you don't have to code. But if you want to put addons yourself this gives you an opportunity!

3. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

No it’s not required at all. B.B. is like Lego. You can build all sorts of stuff with it that the bits of Lego can make without any code and for bb3 it’s the same. However I believe that if you need a bit of Lego that could do something new like maybe turn itself upside down if surrounded by blue Lego bits then using some JavaScript you should be able to make your own Lego part that does that. Once made you can reuse it for future projects. Hopefully, as I suspect, we’ll also be able to download or share interesting Lego parts witin the B.B. community for projects.

4. turbogames

turbogames Boxer

I hope not to be a large proportion of programming

5. turbogames

turbogames Boxer

yeh i know but in this version of buildbox 3 alpha i see in project some scripte
    Which gives some orders like jumping and dying and that's what made me doubt

Attached Files:

6. Jackazoid

Jackazoid Avid Boxer

Made me doubt too.
    Why would they make a demo bbdoc and use javascript to do something simple like jumping or death.
    A few bbdocs with simple movement examples including death, jumping etc (without code) would be nice.

7. turbogames

turbogames Boxer

yeh that wath i see to

8. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

No, you will not be required to code at all. It's VERY important to me that coding is not required for 90% of what you'll make. It will mainly be for advanced logic type stuff. For example, if you wanted to make a turn-based strategy game like Civilization, or if you wanted to create something we haven't made nodes for yet.

Once someone creates a node with javascript they can share it with the community. We can adapt the popular ones and put them into the software. It's going to really open up the platform.

Only because it's alpha. This version is Nik's version. The next will be after I get in there and provide a lot of input. Nik was finishing this at the 11th hour before release. There will be nodes that do stuff like jump in the next release. I've told Nik before, I think the only way to make this work is a LOT of nodes that are tightly organized into groups. He doesn't disagree.

9. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

I'd expect there to be a ton of modules that we could pick from, ideally for simplicity they'd group lots of things together that can be selected and with parameters. So for instance, there might be one module just for movement, another for logic states, another for interface maps (as they've started to show), etc. Then there'd be those you build yourself and those built in the community that will cover less standard requirements. I'd like something that lets me do mathematical operations on things.

TreySmith likes this.
  10. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

just for context, I sent my at the same time as Trey's note. lol

11. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Trey, I'm not very familiar with javascript at the moment but always wanted an excuse to learn it. Will it be regular javascript or a sort of Unityscript like version which I understand to be an adaptation of C# with JavaScript-like syntax?

12. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

I used to make JavaScript Games before :D This is a Christmas like release for me already :))))))))))))))