Have A Meeting With Voodoo

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Appossible, Jan 4, 2018.

1. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

@Appossible
    Not sure what was done pertaining to the project they have in the pipeline. I assume (this is me assuming) that either oF those sdk's can be integrated inside buildbox.

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

GameAnalytics and FB SDKs are no problem to implement in a Buildbox project. Just don't follow the Unity guide you mention and you're good to go. And because you can implement them, you can test your game with Voodoo. The 'problem' is when your game gets accepted. Then you will need to implement the monetization SDK and the way it should monetize. This from what I know, is impossible with Buildbox which is why you need to port it to Unity. At least this was their politics last year until December. If there is a way of doing everything you need with your Buildbox game I'm sure they wouldn't insist in doing it differently. But I'm pretty sure it's not possible so yeah, once you are lucky it needs to be ported. Will be interesting to see what happens now with this Buildbox game that got the needed retention. I'd love to be corrected knowing there is a solution as well for the monetization SDK.

spicedbeangames likes this.
  3. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Aye. I think the landscape is shifting a little. Clearly Ketchapp are on the front foot for 2018 and Voodoo, having dominated the back end of 2017 are now behind. I guess if a game gets really good traction, rules are there to be broken. Have to wait and see. Also, its interesting to know if Ketchapp have released any BB games recently.

4. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

I believe Trey once said that if your game is close to getting signed by a publisher and there's a feature or something that's preventing it from being signed to reach out to support and they will try their best to do a one-off implementation. So don't let the monetization SDK stop you from getting your game signed, without reaching out to support first.

5. bioded

bioded Boxer

Im agree, my game was tested for retention, its not a problem to intergrate analytics, but i think will problems in future with advertising sdk... im not sure BB support can help here, to much need to integrate only for you, they dont want to waste time for one person

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

The problem is not only the integration. Voodoo games seem to use now an interval for their ads in duration. So you can die several times with a low score and you don't see an ad pop up, but if you score with a higher score, it means you played a certain time, so the ad pops up each death. For example they say: each minute an ad. Or each 3 deaths an ad. Whatever comes first. A very good system and one that Buildbox should have had implemented a long time ago. With Unity this is a line of code. With Buildbox you'll need 3 weeks to implement it and it might be still very badly. So this is a real problem.

7. spicedbeangames

Totally agree. The market has shifted so much in the past 12 months and I think the BB team have been a little too focused on 3.0 and the other offerings, when really those resources should have been directed into adding key features and functions and getting 2.3 nailed. I would imagine those conversations would be on going with Ketchapp too.

JustBraden likes this.
  8. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

well but all those rules can easily be created on code. BB 3.0 is coming at the end of the month with the javascript API. I am sure the API is going to allow us to access every single thing we want in the game. Including ads

9. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Buildbox 3 won't be usable until 2019, maybe even 2020. So this is not a good option. :) And i'm pretty sure when the first alpha gets released, javascript won't be part of it.

10. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

well that would be a bummer!

11. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

Hi @Andy, are we getting the JS API with BB 3.0 at the end of this month?
    also - is there a way of adding that API to BB 2.3? that would be amazing!

12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I don't know about BB3 (mostly a different team) so I can't really comment on that with authority, my focus is on BB2. If you need additional info on BB3 best thing is to email support. I can tell you that there is near 100% certainty that it's not going to BB2, it's just not feasible or planned at all.

spicedbeangames and Benfont like this.
  13. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

14. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

Guys Voodoo contract is a slvaery contract

May i ask how did you agree for 10 years ?! Technical support

Let me explain you guys what thats mean, according to their contract they can fine you and give you huge penalties
    If you are not fix update making what they want , make updates modifications modes, for 10 years ! And you have deadline to do that !!

You never know when they will decide to sell their comapny change CEO or whatever thing might happen and their buisness plan can change to milk their partners ! According to the contract they legally can do that, and you dont have any way to protect yourself

dani likes this.
  15. spicedbeangames

Yes it's 10 years but essentially they only expect you to update the game during it's life cycle - which is understandable. If a game becomes super popular to last 10 years, and they, and you make a lot of money from it - naturally it will need supporting (new iOS upgrades etc).

The reality is, most apps last 10-18 months tops before support is dropped.

Benfont likes this.
  16. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

So Voodoo are accepting BB games?
    Or are you porting to Unity?

17. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

They who decide what is the game life cycle, they can ask you to try many things to try to revive the game, they can legaly slave you for 10 years, never the less what they are saying in the phone call it 10 years contract, you stop getting paid after 10 month !!!
    and they can ask whatever they want, if you are not doing so they will penalty you hard, you have less than a week to do whatver they want, no matter how big and small it is and if it has bugs which you didnt fix in the first 48hours after they found guess what penalty !

18. spicedbeangames

You are focusing too much on the negative without focusing on the actual reality. There's pitfalls to every contract and yes, you could end up losing out on a ton of cash if you have a super popular app but for the majority of developers, being paid a handsome sum of money for 10 months is a life changer.

Christoph and bmsingha like this.
  19. everchangeapps

everchangeapps Boxer

Anyone here who has succesfully integrated the needed SDKs for a voodoo test I’d love to talk with you. I just got through to that step and now need to implement the analytics and fb sdk. Email me if possible nathan@nathan-wilson.com I would love some help.

20. Danlespect

Danlespect Avid Boxer

I wonder what is the easier..

Remake entirely on Unity the game that Voodoo wants (can take months for new unity-users), or integrate the ad SDK they want with code in Xcode.. ?

-Voodoo is a French company of about fifty people.-