Uplift! ★★★★★ 'new' Game!

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Christoph, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I haven't posted about this before but thought that now would be a good time. :)

Icon MASTER rounded copy.png

This game has been for me a learning process with a lot of things, mainly with monetization and marketing. I can't talk about numbers or strategies used, but in general the results have been of a mixed outcome. My main success is a lot of new knowledge about the industry and how to move forward regarding my next games. The do's and not to do's so to say. I also have learned a lot of the limitations working with Buildbox which doesn't leave me very happy, but on the other side Buildbox is what has gotten me here so I'm grateful as well. It also opened a lot of doors towards new possibilities and distribution options, on the other side others closed for good. As you can see, I'm going a complete other route than the one suggested by many developers and industry gurus: I published by myself. And I'm happy with the results since we crossed 300k downloads and in Google Play we have almost 2k reviews with a 4.7 average. It has been a very difficult and stressful time though and what I need right now are vacations. :)

uplift_chars.png

There are many hacks involved to make everything happen, gameplay wise and monetization wise, even if everything looks very simple. I pray every day that Buildbox gets new features (much quicker) that make our life easier for retention and monetization. :D The part I'm probably most proud of is the way the user can unlock new characters (as you might have guessed). lol. It was a nightmare to animate it in Buildbox with the flaws the animation editor has. :) I like the game in general and would have loved to put challenges and different modes in it. Unfortunately this is a no go with Buildbox because of the performance that is already pretty bad on older devices (and sometimes even newer ones).

I also want to shoot out a thank you to Buildbox support that helped me a lot when I had a specific problem. They are the main reason I'm still a boxer. @Andy has won a place in my heart but Sean is not far behind. :) He always has to receive my mails when I'm not comfortable with how things work in Buildbox and then he has to explain to me that unfortunately things do not work as I want them to. lol. Sorry for that. :D

But enough said,...

let me know what you think!

Download here: iOS & Android

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. UpperCat

UpperCat Avid Boxer

GÖNN DIR DIE AUSZEIT !!! Du hast es verdient :D
    ///
    Enjoy your vacations!!! you deserve it!

Christoph likes this.
  3. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Great job on character unlock dude, sweet skills :cool:

Christoph likes this.
  4. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

Christoph likes this.
  5. swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent Avid Boxer

It’s awesome! The trailer is so clean and looks really really good. Love the sounds and the animations. Congrats

Christoph likes this.
  6. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Beat 250? Im struggling to get past 25! But great stuff. Cracking well put together game :)

Christoph likes this.
  7. lqur

lqur Boxer

Well done! I see a lot of positive reviews, good job on that!

Christoph likes this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

Thanks man. Means a lot coming from you.

Thanks. Had a blast creating it. But the trailer isn’t that important anyway. Haven’t even put it in the AppStore yet. Maybe I should lol.

It has to be hard. Doesn’t it? But common, 25 is just lame. You even can watch a video ad to start with 50. :D

Kevin W likes this.
  9. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

This looks incredible!

Christoph likes this.
  10. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

How many downloads do you have so far? @Christoph

11. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

Congrats Christoph in your success I saw your game a months ago climbing in top 200 in AppStore I know it it’s yours, great marketing tactics you made there very good strategies to bring more download and make player keep playing, also your game is setting in my phone for months and I loved that you have implemented push notification to remind people to play your game nice touch what service you have used is it easy to implement.

Christoph likes this.
  12. Eageron

Eageron Avid Boxer

Bummer! Great work!

Christoph likes this.
  13. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Great work! Good luck with the downloads

Christoph likes this.
  14. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Top work @Christoph, just been playing 'Uplift' for the last half an hour and I really love the pace. Felt really fast and difficult at first, but I like that. Way too many games are really easy throughout and after a few minutes, I was really getting into the rhythm of your game. Got a slightly better score than @AndyG, but don't tell him, he'll get upset :)

Stella work on all the extra's, I can see the blood, sweat and tears that went into in this one. Hope it pays off mate, congrats.

Christoph likes this.
  15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hi @Phill Mason. The game was build in two weeks. And then maybe two other weeks with polishing the UIs. I finished this one more than a year ago but waited a long time to release checking different options. So the sweat this time is more on the marketing and publishing side. :)

Thanks @wesam_badr. The game has several external SDKs integrated. One of them is Push Notifications. I use OneSignal. And yes it’s a little complicated but doable. I like how on iOS it asks you after reading the first pop-up and you need to press a button first. This brings up the percentage of users who envolve. If you ask just like that at the loading screen nobody says yes. On Android almost everybody is accepting them lol. They don’t even get asked.

16. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

It is a game that integrates many things outside of BB (Push, advertising), and many Hacks within BB, different Game Over screens, or hidden menus.

We need a tutorial now!!!

Good luck.

Christoph likes this.
  17. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I wonder if he coded anything from scratch o_O

I think I'll need to do that for 2 of my games...kinda sucks (I don't know how to code) but that's why freelancers exist @Christoph ;)

18. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Haha. It's straight forward implementing external SDKs. No code hacking. But yes, with the OneSignal I had most of the problems. It took me some days to get it working as I wanted it to. I thought to share those tutorials here in the forum, but for some reasons o_O I decided against it. Haha... The forum isn't anymore what it was to be, I discussed this with some of you privately and we all agreed. Sad because I'm all for sharing knowledge but if I'm the only one (or better said we are just a few who seem to share and help) it feels very weird.

19. Gbello97

Gbello97 Boxer

Great game. Where did you get this trailer ?

20. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I wish I joined the forums earlier...how was it different? I've had a ton of questions answered (It takes a few days to get a solid answer, but maybe I'm not asking questions clearly)