Master Collection 2 - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Christoph, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pijunx

pijunx Boxer

@thatguyminib yes, it will be much high after a week.... haha... :(

2. swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent Avid Boxer

That's why I always use this tool: https://muzzleapp.com/ - Silence notifications while recording

Christoph likes this.
  3. NemoPiXL

NemoPiXL Boxer

I meant "subscribed"

4. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

anyone else records it to share

5. ToonAsylum

ToonAsylum Boxer

Just purchased the latest version!! Looking forward to recreating my game myself with all the extended features I wanted to have but couldn't afford to pay my programmer for!

6. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

I've recorded it, just uploaded here:

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Boxer

Guys,

If we make the payment right now, are we getting buildbox 3.0 instantly or we have to wait for the release in 2018?

swiftcurrent likes this.
  8. swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent Avid Boxer

If I recall correctly, you'll get it before the end of this year. A beta version

9. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Wonder if the beta for 3.0 will be for regular users as well?

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I’m going to be honest here: I won’t buy it. Not even for half of the cost of the original Master Suite. It’s overpriced, ...a lot. I would consider it, if the cost would be at $599 or so. But even then I would want a trial first. The tactic used to sell it, putting pressure on the customer to act, is one of the worst and a no-go for me. This is what scammers do normally. Not saying this is a scam but after seeing what has been done with the Master Collection 1 without any updates at all after the most incredible high price I have seen in my entire carreer, I would not purchase anything before I see it’s working flawlessly. This just doesn’t sound right and I’m surprised and disappointed that the Buildbox sales department keeps up with this. IMHO this is just wrong. But hey, who am I to judge. I guess I’m just not the right target for this product (which kinda sounds weird because I’m one of the most active boxers so I should be).

Regarding the content, I repeat, that I’m impressed. It looks all very nice and streamlined and I’m convinced it would help me to build better games faster. The one I’m impressed the most is AnimationBox. I have used professionally After Effects with Duik to animate characters. I even produced a short animation for television once. So from what I have seen in the presentation this rocks big time. Being able to have different skeletons and interchange graphics just like that is simply amazing. This software should be sold separately. SoundBox seems very good as well. I used Soundtrack Pro back in the days and I happily would change it for SoundBox now that High Sierra doesn't support it anymore. Easy but powerful enough to mix and design SFX. For PixelBox it’s difficult that you change once you use Illustrator or Photoshop or the Affinity products. PixelBox seems more like an iMovie compared to FinalCut Pro. For a lot of rookies this will be very cool. If you have no clue of designing this will help you big time to make good looking content. But for professionals this isn't very interesting. It's like an enhanced IconBox but still isn't at the level of the other apps in the Collection from a user point of view.

This makes me ask myself if Buildbox is still intended for the professional user. But hey, it's just one application between five. So no big deal. Then, on the other hand for VoxelBox, it again looks very cool and got me excited. The fact that you can build an entire world and then export the different objects you designed separately is amazing. But how to justify a price like that if MagicaVoxel is free and rocks? Or you could use Hexel which cost much less and you even could animate with it. And that’s a little bit the problem with all of the apps from the Master Collection. These apps already exists in the market and are free or much cheaper. Some of them are made specially for game development as well. So the only point of using them would be if there was a complete integration into Buildbox. Switching from Buildbox back to AnimationBox and boom you get everything updated in real time. Like switching between After Effects and Premiere Pro. That would make this Collection really amazing. I guess this will come later, maybe in the Master Collection 3.0 so I guess I wait a little longer.

One thing that is for sure, Master Collection 2.0 has me excited when I watched the event. I remember watching the Master Collection 1.0 event and it was very bad so I couldn't even finish watching it. Never understood that there were people who bought it. With the Collection 2.0 I can understand that this is very interesting for some of us and it seems - if you feel this is for you - you can't be wrong in buying it this time. So big props for the Buildbox Master Collection developers who worked on this for two years and will keep developing it for the years to come. I agree with Trey, this has come a long way and it's fantastic to see it grow successfully.

And then... well,... then we have Buildbox 3. From what I've seen so far it looks very promising but it also looks like that it is still very far away. A year maybe from its initial release so that at least the basics work? It looks so complex that I fear that a bug free version will be available in 2 or even more years. I can't imagine what the developers have to go through if Buildbox 2 has seen a such slow development because it already is very complex to put hand on doing changes. Buildbox 3 must be crazy.

I'd love to try it out already, but I'm not going to be an alpha tester either. I just don't have the time for it. As others said here, I would have loved to see much more about the different new stuff like the scripting or the nodes. I'm not that much hyped about the 3D part even though I appreciate it a lot. Unfortunately it looked like as if the app isn't even ready to be shown off in this sense. At least there was no example shown, on how this new elements impact the workflow. If we finally are able to implement more additional elements - for retention for example - then we will have a real engine that can compete in the market and we will rock the charts. So from all 5 apps shown in the event, Buildbox 3 is the one that has me excited the most, but as well was the one that disappointed me the most because of it's short participation.

Lastly, I hoped as well for a reduction in prices for the subscription model but that didn't come true. As pointed out in the first paragraph, the sales department obviously has a complete other strategy in place.

But enough said regarding what could and could not be or what I like and what not. I'm glad that we don't see an Alpha version yet and that we just got 2.3 released.I prefer to work with what we have now and what we know works well. I will test it tomorrow and hopefully all major bugs are squished. I'm looking forward to Buildbox 3 and hopefully many years to come as a boxer.

Cheers!

11. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I have to say...I'm only really excited for SoundBox and BuildBox 2.3

BB3 just isn't useful for my needs, and I already know how to use Photoshop so I don't see myself using Pixel Box. I hate voxel games so I won't be using that one either, and AnimationBox just doesn't look that good compared to what you can do with After Effects -- a much cheaper product with more professional-level features.

However, if the BuildBox team were to release the products separately for a much cheaper price (Maybe $25-$50 a program, like Adobe does) I would consider buying SoundBox, and I would defiantly pick up BuildBox 2.3

Christoph likes this.
  12. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

wow That's a big journal Christoph you said what I already want to say

AaroArts, adrogdesigns and Skrubzy like this.
  13. tite

tite Boxer

[QUOTE = "wesam_badr, post: 62090, member: 22730"] Cualquiera logró grabar la repetición. Realmente quiero volver a ver el evento [/ QUOTE]

14. thatguyminib

I would love to have these sold separately I mean all of the software looks amazing and I believe that this whole package definitely targets indies, except for the price that is lol.

That said I for one got excited about Soundbox and BB3! If they had a more affordable monthly plan I would totally go for it, either that or buy each one separately. Either way, I also want to know if we just have a regular subscription to Buildbox would we be able to get the beta for BB3 when it comes out or is that only for the master collection?

15. DaddyMagic

DaddyMagic Boxer

I just bought the Master Collection 2.0 and looking forward to re-building my games with Build Box. I agree with you guys but at the same time I've spent several years trying to wrap my head around other game engines and getting nowhere. Since I was unable to try Build Box I don't know where it will go but it looks much more promising then what I was using. Expensive, Yes, but the money saved in tylenol, coffee and potentially destroying my computer in a fit of rage will make up for that in time. In addition as Trey mentioned in one of his videos I bought Build Box because I want to have fun and enjoy building games and don't want to be pulling my hair out over stuff that should be simple.

16. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

Towards the end, here are Trey's words, ""We're giving away Master Collection to anyone who purchases a full paid license to Buildbox in the next week. The Buildbox 2 full license cost $2,675. And unlike a subscription, it never runs out." Since the sentence containing "it never runs out" immediately follows sentence referring to BB 2 full license/price, it seems to me this means that after you pay this steep one-time price, that you're done, no more subscription fees to be paid annually or monthly. Is this true? Can somebody at BB confirm this interpretation of what Trey said as I quoted him? In other words, it's not clear to me, in how he expressed himself, that his remark about a subscription refers to the Master Collection or Buildbox 2. Big difference in meaning if the latter.

17. thatguyminib

18. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

What do you think is true, my interpretation of what I quoted of his words?

19. swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent Avid Boxer

I was actually wondering about the same thing. MagicaVoxel and Hexels are by far a better alternative to VoxelBox, at least from what I've seen. Hexels is just $10 on g2a, lol. The only software that gets me really hyped is Soundbox.

20. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

The real problem with the master collection is that NOTHING is connected in any way. Animation box at least needs to be integrated into Buildox. Imagine the removal of png sequences and the long-awaited arrival of xml/json based animation.

comicsmathias and Christoph like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.