Is Casual Mobile Industry Dying?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Tarsier Games, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

Hey @volcank these is the total amount of revenue that you get from each game. Every casual mobile game is going to make its most amount of revenue in the first month of the release. After that it all depends on retention and the quality of your game. If your game has potential to grow an audience and community around it (like Color Switch did) and if you continue to update your game regularly and give your users more interesting content, then you could see the revenue coming in every month.

I've worked with Appsolute Games and Umbrella Games and the experience is excellent. They really help you prepare and polish your game to reach the Apple feature standards. Noodlecake is awesome and they were bought by a Chinese publisher ZPlay, but as I look at their games it seems to me that they are looking for something more than a casual game that we can make with BuildBox. Maybe when BB 3 comes out, we can then try with Noodlecake, Chillingo, Miniclip and other big guys. :)

volcank and Christoph like this.
  2. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

@Tarsier Games Hi thank you so much for this thread and thank you for sharing your experience. So it seems it is similar to publishing alone only you have more install power. Since my game is near complete I am at the point of sending it to publishers. I think I will first try Noodlecake since I created some graphics for it. I mean the game is not spheres and squares but has characters in it. (btw that doesn't mean I don't like games with spheres and squares most of the time those games I play longer than any other game) Only this I wanted it to be graphical and will try my chance with Noodlecake and if they are not interested then will go with Appsolute etc. There is only one thing bugging my mind.

How do you deal with the music part? I mean if I published on my own I would just buy a stock music from Audiojungle and use it but with Publishers I am not sure if they like stock music. How did you come over with this situation when working with Appsolute and Umbrella?Do they accept stock music or you had the music made. Btw check out "Dan The Man" game by HalfBrick Studios ,it has great monetization techniques in it. Really cool loved it.

3. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

Well, for the background music with both Appsolute and Umbrella I used music from Buildbox Art pack. For sound effects I looked on various stock music websites. Even one time Umbrella helped and bought some music for me and implemented it in one of my games.

I am sure that they don't have a problem with stock music, as long as you buy it legally. :) Also, if they really love your game they will definitely help you to implement the appropriate music and sound in your game, if they don't think that the one you choose is good enough. (anyway try to choose the best one :) )

I love "Dan The Man", I was playing it like crazy. The best monetization technique that I saw there is when you break the statue that is holding a TV you watch a rewarded video and get free health. So when you are low in health you will definitely go and crush some more statues. That was genius! :D

volcank likes this.
  4. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Ah yes The Art Pack!! Btw Where is that art pack??? How can we download it ? LOL! I have been using BB for almost 2 years and can not find a download link for that! Yes Audiojungle has lots of nice options in it and I always buy. You know I recently played a game at Google Play and the music was repititvey saying "Audio Jungle" at the background. IT was disgusting I mean come on don't you have like 15 bucks or so. Maybe since I am a seller there (videohive and graphicriver) that is why I react this way LOL! Ok will find a nice music for it and try it only thinking what happens if they come across the same music in another game! LOL !

Yes Dan The Man is great Also besides breaking statues they did a timed monetization like Clash of Clans. In order to play the next level you need to wait like 12 hours but you can speed it up by watching rewarded video LOL. Also the levels are soo long so they have so many spots to show ads. We can not show ads or rewarded ads inside Buildbox like that right?? I mean if the player destroys an object and an action plays ads.??

(Updated) I just contacted support and asked them for a download link of the assets.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

Maybe those guys thought that the voice saying "Audio Jungle" is perfectly matching their game LOL! I think that the publishers don't mind if there is some other game with the same music, as long as it was not popular. E.g. Don't use the Color Switch music LOL

I think we can't do rewarded video inside the game, but there are some wizards in this forum, so who knows, maybe someone figure it out. :D

Just wanted to say to contact support for the Art pack. :)

volcank likes this.
  6. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Yes thank you let's wait and see if they send me the pack.

Yes LOL I mean I go for free stuff all the time but when necessary don'T like being that cheap!(talking about audio jungle) LOL :) Ok Will choose some nice music then. Btw how many scenes you had when you sent your game. I know we need to make like around between 90 to 100 scenes so the scenes are not repeatable. Did you also design that many scenes? I now have like 80 and will make the game like 2 parts. First one will be like with levels from 1 to 40 ( 2 scenes per each level) and the arcade will be like 80 scenes randomised. But planning to add more scenes but this time maybe longer scenes so they are different.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  7. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

I think that the scene number depends on the game, but I guess that 80 would be enough for now. The most important thing is that it is an interesting and fun game, then you can add more scenes/levels easily. :)

volcank likes this.
  8. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

ok that is great news then. Thank you so much!!!