Character Unlocker Philosophy

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by tokyo007, Sep 14, 2017.

1. tokyo007

tokyo007 Boxer

What can make a player feel Excited while unlocking new characters in a game ?
    1- making the characters invisible so he don't know how the locked ones look's like.
    2- making the characters invisible with random unlock.
    3- visible characters with random unlock.
    4- visible characters with free unlock select.

volcank likes this.
  2. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

I think it doesn’t matter. I think the most important thing is that each chracter should have a different power up or weapon or gameplay it needs to be something to motivate the player. Other than that no one cares. I do that mistake also by creating clones of same character with different colors etc. Whomever I show my games their first reaction is, what does all those other characters do and I don’t have an asnwer to them. it is a shame that we are limited in buildbox. I would rather make the player change the character during gameplay than unlocking. check the game Broforce. it is not on appstore but can be found for free to download for your pc or mac I think. it is very addictive. for powerups of characters check the game PLATFORM PANIC by Nitrome at appstores. There you will see each character has a unique powerup during gameplay. I think these matter most than other visual things. right to the point.

I think we can ahcieve this only by creating different worlds and make that character be selected when u hit play on gui. just hide the singular unlock character under play button and make it unlocked so when player hits play he selects that character. then make the gameplay of that scene maybe unique like gravity etc or downword bounce.

Christoph likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Or check the game Uplift! It has a nice machine to unlock characters. ;)

4. tokyo007

tokyo007 Boxer

@volcank I agree with your point of view.

@Christoph wow I like it!! was this only with buildbox

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes. All Buildbox.

6. blad300

blad300 Serious Boxer

It's this yours ?

Christoph likes this.