Scoring System Multiple Worlds

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by innomo, Mar 7, 2017.

1. innomo

innomo Boxer

Hi all,

I am on my trial period of BuildBox and so far so good, I've been able to create pretty much everything that I had envisioned. Except I've kept stumbling upon a problem with the scoring system.

So I basically have this runner type of game with multiple worlds, It's all about breaking your score record(surviving). I have used multiple worlds so I can play with different backgrounds/scenery etc, the player gets into the next world via a menu jump which works awesome.

Now the only problem is that the "Best Score" label which I have set to score/All/Coins/Best, totals the count of best scores reached in the 3 worlds I have(Which is kind off Logic), But I want it to display the highest score a player has reached in a single session.

I really have tried everything to my knowledge, scoured the forums and watched the youtube vids but nothing. I would really appreciate the Community's help!

NinjaInParis likes this.
  2. Rainyday

Rainyday Avid Boxer

i can feel it man ... iam in your position since a week now just trying to figure out even just how to reset the score whenever the player starts a new game ... i played with the reset button but that doesnt look good >>> the score system needs repair ... although andy mentioned that this thing should resolved in the new edition which we are still waiting for it .... hopefully it wont be long ??!!!!

3. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

Hi, i think you have to choose score / All/ Points / Best, and not Coins. Because Coins are also used for purchase

4. innomo

innomo Boxer

Ah I came accross your post and it seems that we almost have the same problem... Well I'll just have to turn it into a unlockable world game then. As for your reset problem, did you try putting the Score label into: current world/coins/current in the World UI? You probably already did but always good to make sure ;).

5. innomo

innomo Boxer

@Wapps1 Thank you for your help, but that didn't work unfortunately. The main problem is that the score doesn't reset after game over in the second world, and this is caused by the "Restart Button" in the 2nd world because it is actually a "Back Jump" button to the 1st world.

6. Rainyday

Rainyday Avid Boxer

hehheeh i did much more than that ... i search the whole world for someone who wrote an article called bbhook layer which sounds cool and i found out his real name his workplace and his personal facebook and i was in touch with him and the man was so nice he was explaining to me that buildbox program being designed using cocos2d and how its is really hard to play with the code ...

any way ..... we do really need buildbox team's help in this ..... wish it wont take long ..

just a hint : dont waste yourtime with check points or menu jump it wont help reset the score espically when you have many worlds with seperate ui .....

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Any worlds score only resets when the world itself is "started". The next release (within a couple weeks) adds a score component to all worlds. You can force any world to reset when you start a new game.

Rainyday, wesam_badr and Christoph like this.
  8. Rainyday

Rainyday Avid Boxer

Thanks Andy

Waiting ....

9. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Very cool, @Andy, looking forward to this too, cheers.

10. Phill Mason

@Andy, is this version you mentioned, with the score component available yet?

11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

12. Phill Mason

@Andy Is there a component you need to add, or is it automatic? I downloaded your "pointsworking.bbdoc" from another thread and made my restart settings the same, but still not resetting my distance. I must be missing the obvious :)

13. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Get this build:
    https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/buildbox-2-2-9-beta2.9694/

Select the World in the Mind Map, the add component in the lower right sidebar. I don't know your exact setup, so I can't say for sure if this is what you are looking for. But generally, if you have multiple worlds and you are doing an endless type game with the worlds all strung together then this will help.

14. Phill Mason

Ref; BB2.2.9 #1520.

Thanks @Andy, I can see where the 'score component' is now, cheers.
    I've done some testing and found it didn't play nice with my score settings at first, but can confirm that I have got it to work ok now.

Just in case anyone else is struggling with a similar "Score/Distance Reset" issue when using multiple worlds, I'll explain my settings here, in hope that it may help someone else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    World 01.
    I have an easy world with 10 random scenes, so each time the user begins the game, they get a different start scene, to keep it interesting. This world has it's own UI, with a 'distance' label and a 'score' label. Both world properties were set to 'all' world and amount was 'total'. There are random portals setup in some of these scenes that will take you to world 02.

World 02.
    In this world, I have many more levels, this is the main game. Like world 01, it has it's own UI and same score setting as world 01.

Game Over UI.
    Has a 'back' to main menu button and a 'restart' button, which is set to restart checkpoint. I have recently changed this to 'back jump' to leap back to the easy world, as the restart checkpoint used to start the user back in the main world, if that's where they got killed. I want them to always start back in the easy world.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The main issue here was my score settings in each UI. In order to get the worlds to reset correctly, I needed my settings to be:
    Distance = World = Name of my current world.
    Amount = Current (not 'total' like I previously had set).

Same for the coins score.
    World = Name of my current world.
    Amount = Current (not 'total' like I previously had set).

Christoph likes this.
  15. Phill Mason

** SCORE COMPONENT UPDATE**

Just found an issue with my setup above @Andy.

Situation:
    When I port from the easy world into my main random world, when I die in the random world and hit restart, it takes me back to the easy world, which is great, but the distance score in the easy world now reads what I had in this world just prior to entering the portal and is not resetting. Incidentally, the portal is a Logic Menu Jump and not actually a portal piece.

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Is this a "restart" or a "restart checkpoint"?

most likely this is due to a "restart checkpoint" which does not reset the world.

I may need more info (BBDOC example) if the above does not help or is not true.

17. Phill Mason

My Restart button is set to 'Back Jump" = easy world.

Setting my restart button to 'Restart' does work by zeroing everything, great, but I cannot get back to my easy world.

Not a real deal breaker, but that's why I'd set it originally to back jump and then selected my easy world. Any ideas how to work around that?

18. Phill Mason

@Andy, just came up with a workaround.
    Simply added another blank navigation button over the top of my Restart Button, unchecked "Block Through Touch" and set it to Back Jump > Easy World. This works perfect, my back jump button over the top of a restart button. :)

19. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Hmm... I think using Back Jump to "start" a game should work. But there might be some conflict/bug with the score component. Typically I would not use either Back or Back Jump to initiate gameplay, but again it should work. I'll have to recreate a scenario that simulates correctly what you are doing, so may take some time, unless you have an example BBDOC handy.

Oh! Just saw your second reply, that's a nifty workaround. Probably a bit of luck that it actually works! ;-)

20. Phill Mason

I can work with luck :)
    Cheers.