What Makes You Guys Stay With Buildbox?! Compared To Other Engines.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by jayloh90, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jayloh90

jayloh90 Boxer

Hi guys I was just curious to know what is it that you guys love about BuildBox that you guys stay with the Game Engine. Theres also GameSalad, Stencyl, Construct2 that require logic but no coding involved.

ZERO CUSTOMIZABLE LOGIC means NO FLEXIBILITY and THUS NO POWER.

For some reason. I am still so attracted to BuildBox. Why is that? I feel like it is a highly advanced Level Editor of sorts that is just powerful enough that you can make numerous types of games with it. At the same time i feel my creativity severely limited. =(

My only wish is that Buildbox could grow faster so that we can compete on better footing when compared to other Game Developers who work with Unity and the like. But hey, its really the best at what it does, making 2d Scrollers, as customizable as your imagination permits lightning fast!

I JUST SUCK at thinking of NEW INNOVATIVE Ideas beyond what i see in normal 2d Scrollers. Its SUCH AN OLD GENRE! Almost everything imaginable has been done before.(I need some advice on this part...) How should i approach building a Scroller Game?

Id love to hear your comments guys.

doylepat and Christoph like this.
  2. Vilin13

Vilin13 Boxer

I can give you my answer, although it probably won't be what you expect... I tried BB, made a simple game in 3 days without to much problems, didn't look too much at quality because it was just a test anyway.

But then I started to make quite a ambitious platformer with bosses, enemies spawning health after dying, following the player, destructible enviroment etc... And then I saw BB is severely lacking in more complex things. I like it a lot still, I'm making a simple game in it just for fun but for the platformer I went ahead and got C2... It's really not that hard to learn and although HTML5 can become a problem in future, for now it works just fine.

What I'd like in BB 3 is some kind of tilemap editor, similar to the one in C2, where you literally draw your level if you want to...
    Some kind of basic enemy and boss AI and an easy health mechanic for both characters and AI.... Maybe some day I can return to BB for more complex stuff, but for now it's really not possible. But for simpler games it's probably the best engine out there right now.

Christoph likes this.
  3. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

4. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

@jayloh90 Most people have yet to crack the surface of Buildbox. Keep digging!

5. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

From our POV... Bbox is wayyyyy easier than C2 or even Game Salad... We've tried both and literally got stuck with technical stuff despite it not having much programming. Our process with Bbox is simple... know the strengths of the engine and work on creativity of the game rather than technicalities.

Having said that if you closely follow the forums here you will realize that there have been many hacks and intuitive game play which we thought never possible with Bbox been done by many developers. This is just our POV :) All the best in choosing ;)

Christoph and playsgames6666 like this.
  6. blad300

blad300 Serious Boxer

Nothing, i leave it behind and i move to ue4 immediately after i realize how they treat people that pay montly and get a BB version full of bugs, and they sale only for few people BB Next.
    I say in many threads BB remain behind a lot, and now with what they do, will stay another year at least.
    The advance in BB is how fast you can create a game, nothing to say , but look at the market, a lot of 3d, we are not in 90' anymore, we finish with Tap-Tap,Jump-Jump or i don't know. Trey realize that, and as you all see , there was some 3d movement in BB Next.
    Engines have evolved, they become much comfortable.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Christoph likes this.
  7. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I prefer the whole "figure out what you can make with bb" versus an engine where you can make anything. Bb ensures that I will be able to finish a game. I know I can go from a to z with bb. And to use bb and think of tricks that no one has done yet. Figuring out how to achieve things bb wasn't designed for etc.

8. Vilin13

Vilin13 Boxer

What kind of game did you try to create with C2 if I may ask? I'm working on a quite complex platformer right now and it's going quite well. Got the hang of the engine after a few tutorials, but to be fair C3 looks a step back with being a browser app and yearly subscription.

I am quite excited to know what BB 3 features will be though, making nice little addictive games is very possible with it and I've actually found out how to make an easy intro scene setting up the game recently :D.

9. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

We couldn't even complete a simple platformer game with C2. With Bbox it took us about 3 days just building levels :)

10. blad300

blad300 Serious Boxer

I'm in second week in UE4, 5th day in my new 3d project and i want to say if you want to add a reset you must create the dialog, the buttons and many...in BB was, Drag this 'Navigation Button' and set it 'Reset' add some images, sound and voila .
    But when it comes to Gameplay, it's amazing what you can do wit some blueprints

11. nayamamarshe

nayamamarshe Avid Boxer

12. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Boxer

I agree that very little, below the surface functions of Buildbox has been discovered, demonstrated and documented. It's still a wide open country with new frontiers that stretch in all directions. The limitations and simplicity are actually the source of power embedded in Buildbox.

One significant factor that causes people to view Buildbox as limited in its ability to make really good games and other forms of interactive entertainment is actually a product of limited thinking and imagination. Gamers tend to think in terms of games they played and liked and become attached to. It is this familiarity that puts a clamp on ones imagination - inhibiting him to think and imagine in new and more creative ways.

For those who have used traditional methods of game making - this carries over into how you attempt to solve problems - and methods you have used, in the past, to create elements of gameplay.

Buildbox presents an entirely new paradigm - both for making elements of gameplay, as well as even expanding the realm of what is possible. Undiscovered country.

Greg Smith