How To Reduce Size

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Arshpreet, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

as u all know that Slip away game has about 100 scene and that game is just 20mn ab i created a clone with 12 scene and size is about 35,how can we reduce size like he Did,same i created a pit clone and pit Is about 20 mb but mine is 54 mb and less stages than original pit

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

you need to make your images, (png's) smaller.
    also make sure you are using small audio files.

celiker, Christoph and Arshpreet like this.
  3. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

okay,so means size Depend upon art

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Slip Away is ~100mb. And yes, it's the artwork and the additional SDKs (ad networks) you might add that is the heaviest.

Arshpreet likes this.
  5. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

on android Its Just 22 mb

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That's the compressed download size. Once installed it is more.

Arshpreet and Nihat like this.
  7. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

wow ,thats Even better,now I wanna learn how To compress size lol :D

8. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Check your images, do not repeat the same image ever, use small images for solid colors, always use 1:1 scale, do not reduce the size of the images inside BB, use less frequent sound (22.050Hz or 32.000Hz)

Emmalexander and blackswan like this.
  9. Lee (Double Tap Games)

Lee (Double Tap Games) Boxer

Size is based on a few things... Am currently optimising our latest game. Our game has well over 100 levels and many more UI screens, lots of characters and game modes.
    Before optimising our game is about >140mb

1 x Atlas = 1.2mb to about 1.6mb (we currently have about 10 atlases, we will be able to trim this down an atlas or two)

Sound effects total about 6.5mb

Our biggest resource is the xml files, which total about 140mb before optimising.... This is where the bulk of our game size is...
    This we will be able to reduce massively by using the clone tool.
    The clone tool will reduce the data in the xml files, just tested on 4 of our blocks that we use throughout the game and that reduces size by about 30%, and we have many more objects to use the clone tool on.
    WARNING, save bbdoc before using any of the optimising tools...

But list of things I recommend are;

1. SAVE BBDOC FIRST (Use a different file name for each save).
    2. Manually remove any objects or action objects that are not in use.
    3. Use the Remove tools (in top bar within Buildbox).
    4. View Atlases and Rebuild and Optimise atlases.
    5. SAVE BBDOC AGAIN (Use a different file name for each save).
    6. Worth throughly testing you game at this point, to ensure no files or images have accidentally been removed.
    7. Start using the Buildbox clone tool on static objects in your game. Moving objects can be cloned, but the objects must have same settings or it will cause issues.

I hope this helps you cut down your size of your games...

Reducing images and sound files can also help (a little), but the main reduction is fully optimising the game as listed above :)

Arshpreet and Christoph like this.
  10. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

than
    thanks buddy for Explaining Everything and giving me your time,i have saved this page i will definately do all these steps in my Game,Heartily Thanks

11. mdnavi

mdnavi Boxer

Its quite easy, Use "vector" images instead of "rastor" images. your each object should have maximum size of 30kb. Lesser the better. I use Adobe illustrator for making designs and save them as "png" files. It gives me size of less than 10kb only.

Arshpreet likes this.
  12. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

wow i have about 40 Images and all Of about 500kb

steverha likes this.
  13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

There is no vector in BB. PNG is raster. Always. If your images are 500kb they are simply too big.

Arshpreet likes this.
  14. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

While size in kb can be an indicator of an issue it is not really the problem. It's the dimensions of the source image that are critical. Once images are loaded into memory for painting to the screen only the dimensions of the image (before scaling) really matter. This is why getting the image dimensions correct in the production version of your game is so important.

Arshpreet likes this.
  15. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

well i am Trying to make some good art,its not just flat colors,maybe thats the reason files are big

16. Lee (Double Tap Games)

Lee (Double Tap Games) Boxer

@mdnavi

Some people seem to be confused with images...

PNG is rasta
    Importing images from vector images will not help.

One important thing to note is that if your PNG images are a solid colour or have few colours then your PNG file size will be very small.
    If you use gradients or many colours in your PNG image then the image file will be significantly bigger.

When you use blocks of colour in the PNG image, it can be compressed better.
    When you use gradients or photo like graphics the PNG can not be compressed much.

For example if you took a JPEG photo and converted it into a PNG, the file size would be huge in-comparison to the original JPEG.
    And for the example the other way, if you took a square block image in one colour like black in PNG the file would be super small, but if you take that PNG image and save as JPEG then that new image would be bigger as a JPEG.

So to recap; groups of same colour in a PNG image can be compressed better.

For more information about PNG 'Portable Network Graphics' check out wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics

Also your images you import into buildbox 2 are then placed into an atlas image which is 2048x2048 this is PNG also and the file size of the atlas file depends on the colours you have used in your imported images. Our atlas images generally are around 1mb to 1.6mb

I hope this post helps some of you who may be confused.

Arshpreet and Christoph like this.
  17. Nova.NBR

Nova.NBR Boxer

Maybe we can use an image compressor to reduce the image/atlas size, I'm using tiny png plugin inside the photoshop and can reduced 1.6mb to 570kb atlas with almost the same quality and I cant notice any different after I test the apk on my phone. I think its good, at last for me. ;)

18. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Haven't thought of that option. Are you sure you can reduce it that much with transparent space everywhere around the single images? And the edges still look good?

playsgames6666 likes this.
  19. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Generally speaking, image compressors don't do ANYTHING for on device memory consumption. They can help with load time and binary size. But you must use it after export for the best on device results. If you do it before dropping the images into Buildbox then it will only affect the BBDOC size.

Arshpreet and playsgames6666 like this.
  20. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

yaeh i am doing the same

Nova.NBR likes this.