Jumpy (published By Ketchapp)

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by MichKrane, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

This is a game created by "Yabado", NOT BY ME.

Two days ago Ketchapp published a new game, called "Jumpy". From the trailer video I thought this game could have been created with buildbox, so I went ahead and downloaded it.

Now I am NOT 100% sure this game was made with buildbox, but the distinctive loading bar at the splash screen kinda implies it was, and also the graphics of the game (especially that trail) look like the game was a buildbox product.

As soon as I realized that, I searched the forums, but I couldn't find any posts about this game, so I made this one.

Now I don't know who "Yabado" is, or if he is somewhere in the forums, or if it's a studio.
    But if I am correct, and this is a buildbox game, doesn't that make it the first buildbox game published by ketchapp? (i mean, besides the ones they did with the buildbox founders)

ISN'T THAT A HUGE DEAL?

By the way, I can not describe my feelings when I realized that of ALL the games people submit to ketchapp they selected THAT one...anyway.. I don't want to say anything that might insult the creator of the game, and man, if you are seeing this, CONGRATULATIONS! I don't know how you did it, but you did... I envy you..

Anyway guys, I wanted to share this with the community. I mean, after all, isn't HOPE what we were all looking for? There it is!

I would love to know your opinion on this game!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    MAC420 and adrogdesigns like this.
  2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

I think Yabado has a good relation with Ketchapp
    as there are many games published under Ketchapp by them
    this game could be a bb game as it's a mixte of ball jump and Mario
    it's not only that I think it's a reskin from ball jump they have the same structure after I download I figured that however its great concept these people know how to think

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Hmmmm... yeah after a bit of research I realized that you are right, Yabado has published other games with ketchapp like "Ball jump" and "elevator".
    However, personally I think this game is just NOT that good.. I mean, the concept may be fun and successful and all, but it is overused. And the graphics are not that good, the game is lacking animations, it just doesn't look polished.

I mean, I see people here creating absolutely stunning games with original concepts, super polished and they send their games to publishers and still get no response. And ketchapp, oh man, that is just a dream... A ton of people with professionally looking games send them to ketchapp for review and they are waiting for the e-mail that could change their lives, and Ketchapp rejects them to publish THIS game, which is OBVIOUSLY a clone of their previous game "ball jump"? Just because they have "good relations" with the studio "Yabado"? What does that even mean? How did Yabado get to have any relations with ketchapp in the first place? Didn't it all begin with a game they sent them?

I don't know how this game is good, I don't know what ketchapp is thinking, I just feel bad. I am sorry, I didn't want to say any of this, but seeing ketchapp publishing an unpolished game with a mainstream concept they used before, while others here make such beautiful and prototype games, that really hurts.

Again, this is JUST MY OPINION and it is your right to disagree!

Oh and here is a video which shows the splash screen of the game (notice the loading bar)

4. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I confirm, it is made with BB.

5. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

definatly is a BuildBox game, and complete reskin of their ball jump.
    I guess ketchapp go with what they think users want, an as said above, Yabado have made several games published by them.
    I guess having a good relations and previous games with them that have done well will be keep them busy and not have to look at other games being submitted. who knows.

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yeah this is from @Florian Porkert. .D Finally it's out. I like how it feels and plays. Don't agree with MichKrane here since I think it's very polished. Just look at the tutorial part. Very well done. Also the different moves in different situations are well made. And you gotta love the head stomps.

And yes, I think it is very difficult to enter the Ketchapp world. They do work a lot with already known developers which I think is a very good strategy. Working with too much developers gives you just headaches and a administration nightmare. At least if I were Ketchapp I would do the same. :)

Update:
    Clone=complete rip off of the original
    re-skin=complete rip off of the original with different graphics
    copy=similar game with similar graphics and similar gameplay
    I think Jumpy is none of that. It's a complete new game that uses isometric view and some similarities to Ball Jump, but gameplay wise and from a experience point of view it is completely different.

7. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Oh well, since EVERYONE seems to agree that the game is polished and looks good (and that includes many people I showed the game to, not just this forum) it seems I am the weird one :(.

Either way, what really annoys me is that this game could have easily been created in a week (I don't know about the million characters though, they might have taken another week to design lol) by many people around here, and ketchapp wouldn't even think about publishing it.

I don't know, I initially made this post because I was excited to see a buildox game published by ketchapp, I thought there was hope. And now I feel completely discouraged, like there is no chance of ketchapp publishing a game made from someone outside their "family".

What does it take to join the katchapp "family"? Could it be done?

I mean we make games and we like the fun of it and who doesn't love the feeling when you launch your new game for the first time on your phone right? But eventually if we want to keep doing this there has to be a way to make money. Appsolute, Nanovation, Umbrella. They are great, and if they weren't around most of us would had quit a long time ago. They picked many of our games, they published them, most importantly they gave us confidence and hope. Personally I am thankful.

But ketchapp remains a dream. That is where the money is. Ketchapp. I know it is hard to get them to publish your game. But how hard? What do they expect from us? Are they waiting for a revelation game? I really don't know.

8. playsgames6666

Make a ketchapp style game, look at what there publishing and make something similar, with a twist and different look. All there games are basically the same, with a different twist.
    How many games have you sent to Ketchapp? how many have they rejected?

Jaky1 likes this.
  9. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Oh man, I wish it was that simple. This is a community of game designers. A lot of them. And many times I have seen games that I thought are ketchapp worthy in these forums. Games with the characteristics you said. Sometimes even more polished than some ketchapp games. And I am pretty sure they send them to ketchapp, but no response. At this point I don't have that desire of being the first buildbox designer making it to ketchapp. I just want to see someone doing it, someone succeeding thus giving us hope. But I start thinking that it's impossible.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  10. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

2017 will be more challenging than ever to get a hit on the App Store - make no mistake. But - never stop believing in your dream because anything can happen. Rovio - behind Angry Birds made SIXTY games before Angry Birds was born and on the verge of going bust. @Machine Rises made 40 games(not including the ones that never really got off the ground) before Color Switch was born.

11. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

I don't think the game is that GOOD. After how ketchapp reacts, so high quality games they want, I am sad to see they still publish game like these and still ignore such great games. I don't know why but Ketchapp people are really don't know what they do.

12. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Your idea of a 'great' game is probably different to theirs. Jumpy was already breaking into the top 100 over the weekend, peaking around #73 and this morning(UK time) - its #76 on the US store. Whilst it may not set the world alight, I guess they know what they are doing

Jaky1 likes this.
  13. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

I don't know, but a reskin of the same game, publishing it again. and I am sure many of very great games they would have rejected from people due to some absurd reasons. but good for them. I just can't understand what is going on in their mind.

14. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

I guess you are somewhat correct. Even if I don't see "quality" in this game, and despite the fact that the concept is FAR FROM ORIGINAL, people seem to like it. That drives me mad but on the other hand it makes me think that it is NOT the pixel perfect quality of the game that gets the player, but rather the game's overall feel and mechanics. And it's the small things that make the difference. Maybe the head stomps, the coin sounds that remind super mario coins, maybe the death sound effect. But the point is that this game can be played by a 6 year old and they will still enjoy it!

In my opinion, "mr jump" was the TOP game for this concept. (and it made a ton of money too, ofcourse). Yeah, it's not isometric, but you get what I mean by "concept"

Either way, just search the game ketchapp released two weeks ago, "Kubik". As soon as I laid eyes on it, I said : THIS IS A GAME THAT WILL MAKE MILLIONS. I thought it could become an even bigger hit than "stack". I mean, the colors, the contrast, the particles, the polishing they did... phenomenal. And the concept: 3D tetris...A game that is enjoyed by tens of millions worldwide. I thought the game had the whole package.
    However, to my surprise, it didn't do well. People didn't like it because the mechanics of the game didn't allow them to control the game EXACTLY LIKE TETRIS.

I don't know, maybe I can't judge games properly. Some games I see out there are just NOT THAT GOOD(at least that's what I think) but have millions of downloads and other games look ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS and they are not successful. I can't explain some things, I just can't.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    wgoodpaster and Christoph like this.
  15. playsgames6666

Well what ever is going on in their mind is working extremely well for them. You don't become one of the top publishers not knowing what your doing. Every game they release hits the top charts.
    You just disgruntled because you never heard back about your game.
    First thing, No matter how good you think your game is, doesn't mean anyone else thinks its good.
    Honestly it must of been below their standards if you didn't hear a reply.
    I have submitted a game recently to Ketchapp and got a reply within 7 days.
    They didn't except as they said it didn't fit their Genre, And also gave me some feedback about the game and one or two ideas that i could add to game.
    Im Not disgruntled, I'm more than happy that my game caught their eye, and i got a response, that is a win for me.
    Means that their is something appealing about it that they took the time to play it.
    So until your better than them you should really stop judging them in how they think and concentrate on making your games to the standard they are searching for.

16. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Indeed you are right. But hey will work on future projects. Good for them. I wish they selected your game, then I would have be a little less angry, because a fellow buildboxer got to them.

wgoodpaster likes this.
  17. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Oh I did that, still got no response. Therefore I am pissed. I am fully right to be pissed, because what Trey says in his videos, what you say, even we do that, still nothing, that is what drives me mad.

18. playsgames6666

but they have published BuildBox games.:eek:

comicsmathias, Christoph and Jaky1 like this.
  19. playsgames6666

why are you right to be pissed, it obviously wasn't good enough, Move on, get over it, and make something better.

Christoph and Jaky1 like this.
  20. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Then why everyone say that, take their previous game and give it a twist, I gave it a superb twist. still nothing. Is it because I send them Video gameplay? I don't have Ituens so I could send them testflight. Maybe that is one factor? But they do say you can send a video.