Resizing Simple Flat Objects Like Squares Etc.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by volcank, Jan 5, 2017.

1. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi,

I just started a new game but I am not sure if it is ok inside buildbox to resize objects. I am talking about simple square or sphere flat colored graphics. So I am making a game basicaly using like 4 color schemes. Is if ok to design my levels simple resizing the imported sqaure and circle images??

Thank you

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

should be.
    Try it and see, make one or two scenes and test it on your device and see if it works or not.
    I resize everything, Anything that is a plain color, i make then 100px by 100px and resize them.

volcank likes this.
  3. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Ok thank you. Will test on my device to see it. Thank You!

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Circle images do not scale up very good. The edge will get blurry. 2x can look ok sometimes but it depends on your game. Square images scale up very good. You can make a 32x32 pixel image and scale it up to 1000x1000 and it still will look good. Now one problem is when you start to use this images rotated. When in movement they look pretty good, but when standing still they start to have a "stairway" effect in the diagonal lines/edges. So it really comes up to play with it and see what works for your game. Background images should be scaled for sure. For example if you have a plain color or even a gradient which completely fills the background, just make it 32x32 (plain) or 32x568 (gradient) and scale it up to fill the entire screen. With the gradients I don't go lower than half the device resolution (which is 568) because if you do it can give you banding. If it happens with 568 pixels as well go for 32x1136 and only scale it up in the width.

JoeWilson and volcank like this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Upscaling or downscaling? Because when you upscale the edge of the square will look like blurred. That is because BuildBox is interpolating the image to look smooth as opposed to pixelized. However, on the sharp edges that does not look too good to be honest.

Downscaling is better in terms of image quality, so it might be better to keep your square at the maximum size you will ever use and for smaller objects resize them to smaller... Just keep in mind that bigger sprite will occupy bigger chunk from the memory, so do not get too crazy with oversampling (unnecessarily big sprites)

volcank likes this.
  6. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Thank you Christph those are great tips there. I am now using the square images around 400 pixels just to be sure. And The Circles and every other things I created a file in Photoshop with 640x1136 iphone resolution and creating those shapes with their corrrect proportions and then copyin them to a new file and save as png so keeping their sizes exactly the same.

Christoph likes this.
  7. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Yes definetly. I did that mistake before using very large objects and downscaling them. The create a bigger file when exported and plus I realised they also tend to slow the game down a bit.