How Much Time Do You Spend On A Project?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by doylepat, Jan 3, 2017.

?

On average, how much time do you spend creating your projects?

1. 3-5 days

4.8%
  2. 5-6 days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 week

4.8%
  4. 2 weeks

9.5%
  5. 3 weeks

14.3%
  6. A month or more

66.7%
  1. doylepat

doylepat Boxer

Was just wondering how much time on average everyone spends on their projects. Sometimes I'll find myself working on my projects and realize a week has gone by and I have made barely any progress.

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Depends if I get stuck on something or if something gets changed. A fine example would be the UI for my Trump vs Zombies game. It took me 7 weeks to get that right. 20 different designs, looks and feels that just didn't sit right. Then bang! I found an old Left 4 Dead 2 game box and that gave me the idea for it.

One of my current projects has taken 15 weeks thus far. Again, lots of changes and of course, breaks in development.

Christoph likes this.
  3. doylepat

doylepat Boxer

I've been working on my latest project for about 2 weeks now and I've probably changed just the UI buttons 20 times lol.

Christoph likes this.
  4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Ive got about 4 big projects over worked on over months time. But all the stuff on my store now i send less that 2 days tops. Usually few hours. Nothing special. Just enough to give store some content. Ive also learned its good to get in the whole "Build then release...build then release." Mind set. So these stupid small games and apps prove to be more useful than not. Besides that, these small apps so far make me about $200 a month.

telerebor and Christoph like this.
  5. horsthuber05

horsthuber05 Boxer

Sounds simple and profitable. May I know your Appstore/Play Store name?

6. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman Boxer

if your spending 3-5 days on a project then the project will be crap try 3-5 months then your talking

eyal, oni3350, Christoph and 3 others like this.
  7. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Only on Google right now. Just got a macbook pro to spread out to Apple. Just search OneHitGamer Studios. or OneHitGamer in any search engine. [Be warned, Searching OneHitGamer alone will show crap ton of pages linked to my old site of the same name.]
    The problem with that @Chris Goodman is it doesnt really apply to BB. Buildbox can only make x amount of games. Unity etc sure. But BB all our games are damn near alike. With a few added tricks in some. Soooo, while it seems very noble to spend lots of time on a jumper...or a runner....or a bouncer....The end result wont necessarily be appreciated. Take color switch for example...If you spent 4 months making a color switch game packed with hundreds of this or that, or tons of this or that. Graphics amazing etc....and i make color switch, as we all know it today, and it takes me 4 days....Mine has the exact same chance of flying off digital shelves as yours does. Players dont care about all hat extra stuff you did. They dont care how long it took to make. They want fun. 5 minutes of fun. Some will appreciate it, but most wont. If youre making a platformer...the only difference between yours and mine would be amount of levels and graphic detail. If we are both using BB that is. Again, this may only matter to some. In the sense of a publisher it may play more in your favor. As visuals is catchy. But then all i got to do is go even more the opposite direction and make visuals so freaking minimalistic that it steals attention. And again, our chances are the exact same. Because we are both using the same limited software.
    What it all comes down to is 2 things...if self publishing....1. Randomness. One just might started getting downloads over the other by chance. and 2. What you do to spread it. Marketing, trailers, FB ads....any ads....etc. We are in a time where you can drop 10k on hiring artists and what not and i do nothing but use a template in BB, and i can dominate over you. Also the name of the game plays a major role. My how to draw cars app was named just that. Shared it not once...didnt post it on BB...nothing. Within days it was getting downloads. All because people search for How To Draw.....And mine comes up.

telerebor and Christoph like this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

A sweet spot in the middle perhaps? 1 months is probably best. Even though I really would like to be able to make a game every 2 weeks.

Nihat and doylepat like this.
  9. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

yeah, middle is best. I mean, if you have a gangsta idea and know it will take off, spend as long as you can.

10. JimiHendrix14

JimiHendrix14 Boxer

It takes more than a month, but it depends on a project you are working on. Moreover, it depends on the skills set etc. Like, lots of factors involved. As I have read recently, the average time spent on making an app from scratch is about 4 months (info is taken from here https://yojji.io/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-make-an-app). Sounds true to me