Send Game To One Publisher At A Time Or Multiple?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Selasu, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Hey everyone, I was just wondering about other people's experience in sending games to publishers. If you're pitching your game to a publisher, do you only send it to one publisher and wait for their response? Or send it to multiple at the same time and juggle different offers?

Let me know :)

2. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Do a search in the forums as there are a lot of posts about dealing with publishers.
    But I would say that its best to send to multiple publishers at a time

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

At the beginning send it to as many publishers as you can. When several publishers are interested decide for the one that suits best for you regarding your share, waiting times, marketing strategy and how much they would want to change your game to get it ready. Just don't say yes to more than one at the same time. That is seen very badly and can close all doors for future collaborations. Also, if you have made a game thinking, lets say, for Ketchapp and really want them to publish your game. Send it at the beginning just to them, mentioning that you did this game for them exclusively. This might give you an extra boost to get lucky.

4. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@Christoph how do you know that you will have to wait a YEAR with Ketchapp to release your game? I mean isn't that a lot.. that can't be true?

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I'm not 100% sure as I have never worked with them, but I heard some little birds talking about it. I also think it is just a logical consequence of A) a huge interest from a lot of developers who want to publish with them and B) having already a lot of games in the waiting list. I do know that other publishers have a 3-5 month waiting list so Ketchapp for sure has much more. Also, depending on your game, they will want a lot of changes, so this gets you another few months of work before they even accept the final build. Ah and I have heard that Fortafy for example has enough games for the next two years.

It actually doesn't matter if it is a year or not. The point is that the bigger the publisher, the longer the waiting time. Just a normal consequence of how the business works.

superjack765 likes this.
  6. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

7. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@Christoph I guess that's true then watching the way how it works...GOD..BTW thanks for the info

8. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

I don't think so FORTAFY has any games at all....They are very discreet about their games..I think they don't have any if they had they would have published it by now..

9. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

FORTAFY don't mass publish games like other publishers, They like to get the maximum out of the games they publish.
    Taking there games to the top ten in most countries for longer period of times than other games do i think, not 100% sure that is the reason, but seems like what they do.
    There past games, i think they pushed for about a year, then move on to another game.
    Except color switch, think they might keep that one for awhile. :cool:

superjack765 likes this.
  10. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Well I don't see which games they published before color switch, I think that was their first one...Right?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  11. playsgames6666

No they have had a few. I know Thug worms was one of them.
    Maybe they transfer back to developer once contract is up.

12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

They only published Thug worms before. But it wasn't the same team as it is now. And they are working together with EyeBox Games so they are most probably making as well there own games without publishing too much from external developers. I mean, they have very talented people like David. So yeah, getting into Fortafy is probably the most difficult thing right now. Don't quote me on this though.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  13. playsgames6666

Your right, thug worms was there only game, just had to check LOL.
    Yea getting into fortify would be hard. But yet nice if you could manage it. they have a huge following.

Christoph likes this.
  14. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

I have pitched my second game to them..I have 90% hope that they will love this one...Let's assume they accept my game so will it be worth if they wait for -- this much time? Should I wait? what if they say wait a year for release...Then should I wait?

15. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Some of you might find this an interesting GDC talk titled "You don't need an F-ing Publisher"

blad300, Jaky1 and Christoph like this.
  16. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Man, if Fortafy accepts your game you definitely should wait. No question.

Will watch it in a second. Thanks.

Jaky1 likes this.
  17. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I just watched the video and I think what this guy has to say is very true. BUT, we shouldn't forget that we do casual arcade games. We do not crazy and complex Playstation action games. This are two completely different kind of beasts, developing wise and distributing wise. So most of what he says does not apply to our section of the industry. At least what I have seen in my short time of doing games.

Also, if you don't have a publisher, you really have to ask yourself if you have what it needs to get your game out there for yourself. This is the most important part of making games, because if you fail at that, no one, and I mean it literally, no one will even know your game exists. If your answer is no, then a publisher that can provide you the missing pieces will be the perfect fit for your game. If your answer is yes, then I completely agree, don't think about a publisher. Why should you.

playsgames6666 and jerry like this.
  18. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Yep I agree. I think the most important thing about that video is that you need to look at the publisher as a "partner" not just a publisher. Good thing about a publisher is that they can take care of the marketing and getting the game out there and you can concentrate on polish and working on the next game.

playsgames6666 and Christoph like this.
  19. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

I agree with this. I have not had a publisher yet. I do have a few games out there. But very few know about them. Realistically I need to make a few more to truly get to the top of my game before a publisher will pick them up. I think that is the big thing. The games I have made are huge and the best I can do at the time. But pulling back and being realistic I have work to do in level design etc....

playsgames6666 likes this.