Create Collide-able Objects/multiple Characters That Can Pass Through Portals

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by blackswan, Oct 16, 2016.

1. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

Updated with a clearer explanation including images jump down to the 4th post https://www.buildbox.com/forum/inde...hat-can-pass-through-portals.7358/#post-38855
    ------------------------
    ~original post~
    I'm prototyping a game, I have a ball character which acts like a wheel, it can roll and bounce off walls.
    My scene has multiple instances of the character and a portal, I wanted to teleport my character through the portal however I've run into a couple of issues.

Prototype 1 uses multiple circular objects rather than a character object, I found that normal objects cannot pass through portals.
    Prototype 2 uses multiple instances of the circular character object, these is able to pass through portals however, characters cannot collide with one another.

I've tried merging the two ideas by attaching the normal object to the character object so that everything is collide-able and I can use portals. However my normal objects even though they are attached to the character still cannot pass through the portal, so when my character objects exit on the other side they no longer collide with each other.

Any ideas how I can get this working?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

nobody with an ingenious idea? :(

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I didn't quiet get what you are trying to achieve. Probably I'm not alone. Could you help with some screenshots or even a video? Or just explain it a little more?

4. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

Can't take a video or caps right now, the best way to imagine it is like this. Below each ball is an instance of my character, each of which is numbered using a label.
    [​IMG]

In chess when you take an opponent's piece you place it outside the board these pieces are always within view of the players but are no longer in play. In my scene, the green star acts as a portal which teleports any ball that collides with it outside the board (above see position of balls 1,7,11,4,9) - I plan to limit the number of characters that can pass through it later in the development.

The problem I have is that objects & labels can't pass through the portal, so what I end up with is this.
    [​IMG]
    Which isn't helpful at all to the player.

I hope that makes more sense now.

Christoph likes this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ok. I get you now.

If the portals are the problem don't use portals.

Try to reverse the logic. Link from the object to the character. Then use the transform tool to tele-transport your objects to the side. Does this tele-transport your character with it?

And do you really need the duplicate characters? Or why don't you use just only objects?

blackswan likes this.
  6. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

I'll try using the transform tool thanks.
    I used objects originally but then I found that they couldn't pass through portals.

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

With objects you can set exactly where you want them to appear by using the transform tool. Just change the position to an absolute value. Put the "portal" image as a decoration object and it will look like you have a real portal in place. I think this will work in your case then. Fingers crossed!

8. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

Try this!

9. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

This won't work for me since I have more than one character object. The game should only end after for example 6 character objects have passed through the teleporter.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  10. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

This seems to be the way to go, transform logic can't be applied to character objects though.

11. shawnC

shawnC Boxer

@blackswan. I am trying to do the same. Trying to use a character instead of an object because objects have limited properties. However when I add multiple characters, they can't be individually controlled. They move in tandem. Were you able to get around this issue. It seems your characters are totally independent of each other.

12. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

Hi shawnC, unfortunately I had to end my subscription before I could get anywhere with the project. If you do manage to figure something out please share it.