Score Reset Problem. Bb File Included

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Shawh, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Hi All,

For Professionals who don't want to read through, please read this only as this is the only solution I want "I just want to find a way to reset the score to 0 once you lose on a higher level and restart from level 1 on a multi-world game." Thanks.

I'm having problem with score reset. Now if you see in the BBDOC, I have 5 worlds and each one has a pink action that will increase the point by 1 and jump you to world completion and show the score there, then you have to press start button to begin level 2 and so on.

Now the first time you play through till level 3 or 4(without losing), the score stays absolutely fine as it should. But then after you restart the game by going to main menu and starting again, the score on world 1 completion shows different numbers rather than 1(as you collected one pink box only), and also on game over screen the score is totally different.

Now I tried to pin point the issue and it has nothing to do with main menu and/or any other world, the issue is occurring directly on the world being played, so I just want to find a way to reset the score to 0 once you restart the game.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    blad300 likes this.
  2. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Ok... So I just pinpointed the EXACT issue happening here, and will happen to most people who will work on endless game types with multiple worlds because the Scoring system is broken.

Now the issue here is that, for example, if you have 5 worlds, and you start from level 1 then level 2 and so on... Now if you keep passing all worlds and lose on a level, let's say, 4 and it is game over, and you restart from level 1. The score for level 1-3 will NOT decrease, and will stay there even when you have exited to the main menu UNTIL you lose on each of the levels that you passed previously, which are in this case, level 1, 2, and 3. So if you lose on level 1, the score for level 1 will be reset but 2, and 3's score will remain on the current score option forever until you lose on each one of them.

Please fix this Team @Buildbox , as it is preventing the only way I can progress in my game or I am stuck forever. Thanks.

3. shesh

shesh Avid Boxer

I've pointed that issue long ago, and you've even commented on it.
    https://www.buildbox.com/forum/inde...racking-with-multiple-worlds.4393/#post-30147

in your current post you've wrote: "Now the first time you play through till level 3 or 4(without losing), the score stays absolutely fine as it should" - the surprising thing is that it actually works for you, as far as I've tried, even first time played still mess the score up.

according to support, it will take quite a while until it will be fixed. however, as mentioned in the original post: there's no actual way of score tracking if the game uses few worlds in 1 session. and that drives few games directly into the trash can. I've pointed it out around May/June, and still nothing. hopefully there should be some kind of a fix, instead of waiting for the bb team to rebuild the scoring system from scratch.

Shawh likes this.
  4. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Thanks for the relpy @shlomyone . However, the issue might be easy to be solved through just a few variables if they add it but in programming language it can be done like this:

If "BackToMainMenu"= true
    "GameOver"= true for all worlds

Because currently when you go back to main menu after game over, it doesn't change variable for the other worlds played to game over whereas it should.

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If you want endless you NEED to use just 1 world. Several worlds are,... Well,... For several worlds. The opposite of endless. Copy all your scenes into one world. Then add checkpoints. Done.

6. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Hi @Christoph appreciate your comment, but my game is a bit complex as I have a different gameplay types and different game frames for every world so as you progress, and I'm 95% done with my game.

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If there are different modes I really don't understand why you keep your score running. Each mode should have an independent score. And if yours is a very special setup why don't you make it work in a way it does work now? I mean if it is a bug (I know there are, I reported one as well regarding the scoring) then of course it would be great if it gets a fix asap but if you need a special feature built in then it's for sure more complicated. In short, endless never should be spread over several worlds. At least this is how I understood how BB is intended to work. Sorry if I didn't understood the problem correctly.

8. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Actually what I am talking about is actually a small technical error from BB's end, and I've reported the bug to BB already so I'm just typing this down to help people who want to create a continued scoring based system whether endless or not.

Now you have 5 worlds, on every world an event observer decides that if you reach X amount of points, you'll pass on to the next level and the score depends upon the coins you collected

Let's say, on Level 1, you collected 5 coins out of 10 so your score is 5 and you are now on level 2.

On level 2, you now have 5 coins and you have to increase your coins in order to make a Higher Score, because using an independent scoring system for each Level will take all the fun out of it and no one likes starting from 0 if they are on level 2. So on level 2 you collect 7 coins out of 10 which makes it 12 coins(score)

On level 3 you collect 3 coins out of 10 and lose which makes it a total of 15 score on game over.

After all that you go back to the main menu and have to restart from level one. That's where my problem occurs, once you begin back from level 1 the score is not reset for level 1 and 2 because I didn't lose(Game over) on them, and in order to reset their score I will have to lose on each of them individually in order to reset the score.

I hope everyone will understand what I mean now.

Christoph likes this.
  9. shesh

shesh Avid Boxer

Same issue as Shawh, got a +1 action coin on each world, so when you're on world1 you have 1 point, on world2 you'll have 2 points and so on. the game cannot show the current score (as it get messed up after restarting or jumping back to a world you've already played in), and cannot show your latest score/top score as well. so no score tracking... hmm no game.

score>>all worlds - doesn't actually work, so maybe the bb guys can have a quick fix or a hack to bypass it, instead of waiting for them to rewrite it from scratch, as this bug is already known for over 4 months now.

10. DeadlySeriousMedia

DeadlySeriousMedia Avid Boxer

I have the same complaint. I have an endless game but I want the player to be able to grab a bonus level power-up that takes them to an area with slightly different rules to achieve the bonus effect I want. This can't be done with the way BB handle score tracking. Also, check points don't work because I do not want the player to accidentally stumble upon the bonus level sans check point. It's a problem that BB needs to address. Whats the point of having options for scores like "All Worlds/Oins/CurrentAmount" If it doesn't even track your current amount of coins between all worlds?

Christoph and Shawh like this.
  11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

This last one should definitely work. I agree, there are several things to get fixed regarding the score. I have a problem of my own that I reported in another thread.

If they are rewriting the score system it would also be good to know if it will affect the scores user already have achieved once it gets updated. That would be very bad.

Do you guys get always a approximate date when it will be fixed? Sean always tells me that the team will look into it but nothing more. And I reported already dozens of bugs. Some of them are essentiall to how my game looks like.

Shawh likes this.
  12. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Got the same reply @Christoph that they are fixing this bug but I am really puzzled by the fact that my subscription to buildbox 2.0 is nearly one year complete and such a crucial detail like the scoring system still hasn't been fixed.

I asked for the patch date, and hopefully may get this fixed before November since I have to publish before that.

Christoph likes this.
  13. bluemoonstudios

bluemoonstudios Avid Boxer

I recently posted about the same issue I am having with scoring from multiple worlds. I didn't see this post before I made mine.

So is there no workaround for this then?

The reason I am using multiple worlds per level is because my game is not a scrolling game so I can't jump to the next scene instead I jump to another world. But when you lose there is no way of resetting the score back to 0.

If there was a way of jumping to scenes I would do that.

14. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

@bluemoonstudios I've spoken to the support team and they tried to help me as best as they could, but said that making such a change might help our game, but maybe ruin other game type's score setups. So I have already requested a Reset Current Score button, and hopefully they will implement that.

But since I know the hard truth that our feature request is just 1 in 100, I changed my scoring setup to something else in case they don't fix it soon. But the best way to go is to contact support, since it's always good if the majority of people request an important feature/fix like this one.

Christoph likes this.
  15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Why don't you use checkpoints? Put a next checkpoint action and in your next scene a set checkpoint action. With that you can literally jump between scenes which is what you want.

16. bluemoonstudios

@Christoph I am trying what you suggested, and i have the checkpoints working, thank you for that. I have not tried the scoring yet. But I have a question.

Why is it when i go from the start scene to the next scene, the layout of the objects move down the screen. But when i go from scene to scene after that its fine.

Thanks in advance

17. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

What do you mean with "the objects move down the screen"? We would need a little bit more information, screenshots or even a video to understand what's happening. Sorry if I can't help you.

18. bluemoonstudios

I'll post a video when I get home.

19. bluemoonstudios

@Christoph this is what I mean about objects moving down on the checkpoint. Am I doing something wrong for this to happen? cheers mate

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  20. Rainyday

Rainyday Avid Boxer

Oooh lord ... that reset score issue been here a year ago and still not get fixed .. woooow ...