New Game By Ketchapp And The Bb Guys

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by eyal, Sep 28, 2016.

1. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

So, there is a new version of endless sky and this time it's on the ground.

What irritates me is that there are so many things that can be done with BB but not with the version
    that we pay for. This game was done with a version that probably is - not stable to release, not ready etc etc.
    I know I am bitching about it but what ever happened to the ability to make a game like sky ?
    a game where when you change the angle on a path and the animation will change, a game where the movement will be as free and as dynamic as the movement in this game, without the need to think out of the box and connect and action to a wheel to an object and all of them wrapped in a charachter.

Again, bitching but for me it's like buying photoshop and the guys at adobe will show me something that I can't do because they have not released that version yet but they will put it in their showreal.

2. wcgames

wcgames Boxer

It looks very nice and quite atmospheric!!!

3. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

Are you sure it is not possible with current version? Hello @TreySmith, may you can answer? Important to answer regarding sales and understanding between BB staff and paying users.

4. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

i can see two big features in the game the character can jump from a path to an other and that s great features it should been added to BB 2 and camera movement and zoom.

5. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

It can't be done. I have been in talks with Sean from support and he said a few months ago that the movement in sky is got to do with a more complex path that is currently not available - BUT it is in the "games done with BB" showreal

RSG-Games likes this.
  6. Neverafter

Neverafter Boxer

7. abdussadik

abdussadik Boxer

so guys, we all being cheated here, every customer should have a chance to get the latest version of the software event it's beta, alpha... whatever

8. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

I was able to replicate sky without any issues

9. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Why on earth would you want to download alpha software? There's a good chance that many of the export features aren't in the final build, the game would be extremely unstable and pushing out an unfinished product is extremely unprofessional.

It's pretty clear on the subscription page that ALL those who purchased/subbed will get the latest versions as and when they are released.

10. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@andre_sprs
    I was not able to replicate the original sky version and if you have I would love to see how its done! (please see this post http://buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-like-sky.5666/#post-30339) which talks about the flipping issue. Do you have a buildbox.doc you can share? It doesn't have to be full build just where you can jump and the player flips the correct direction after 2 transform changes.

@eyal
    I totally agree with you and you have the right to bitch, I've also said this in the past.

@spicedbeangames
    They have developed and published games where paying customers did not have access to the same features.

If they (buildbox team) are using Buildbox to make their games they should only make games with features that their customers have access to as well, otherwise it just feels wrong.. like a slap in the face... I made this chart topping game that uses features you don't have access to but your paying thousands of dollars to use our software. I'm sorry that just feels wrong and I know they don't mean it that way but none the less wrong.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    eyal likes this.
  11. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

What is interesting to me is to see such a little responds from the community, not to mention the buildbox team to what I wrote. This is was not just a rant or a complaint about something. this is a big deal selling an a software that can do only 90% when you keep to your self the amazing 10% and the buyers need to invent and be creative to achieve those 10% all the time and even then can't make it.

12. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I think that version of their SKY game is likely in demo status, and I bet the Buildbox Team is polishing it up.
    Honestly, I really appreciate that @TreySmith , Nik R. and their team members push each other to make games with Buildbox. When I say this I mean two things: 1. the currently available version of Buildbox and the updates they try to make to expand it and 2. future versions of Buildbox. This 2nd point is important: Yes, it s smart for their company to make a game that demos what the new Buildbox will be able to do. However, there is more to it than that: By pushing their sense of what game designers/developers want and pushing themselves to test out new versions of Buildbox (and new features), they do a project-centered way of making sure that these features will work. I can actually appreciate that, and I can appreciate that they keep working on making software stable to make the features work. I don't want to be handed a new version of Buildbox with no clue of what it can do - fortunately they are making games with it themselves to make sure it works and to make sure they can show off what it can do.
    Also, I am excited to see Nik R.'s Blue Sky when it is released - the game was announced almost a year ago. Did I miss its release ? Blue Sky was made with the currently available BBox 2, and I am itching to play it because it looked and sounded pretty sweet from the demos I saw.

Jamesallen232 and buman like this.
  13. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@Jamie
    I can agree with this and believe it can be done tastefully to showcase features prior to release of those new features (reasonable time frame (30 days out)) but when it's done and the paying customers have to wait 6 months to a year (or still can't do it to this day) it feels wrong.

I spoke my peace and will leave it alone. Don't get me wrong I still love :D buildbox!! :D :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

What game are you talking about? Because SKY was released a long time ago:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/endless-sky/id1032997004

Was there another one?

And regarding the features that were announced to be part of Buildbox 2 but still are not part of it over a year after the release of SKY (14.09.2015) I'd like to add two things @eyal and @kodagames: a) it's pretty uncomfortable to talk about and b) most of us do agree with you. But we don't say anything because in fact, there is nothing more to say about.

I said this to someone else earlier today: you need to adjust your games to what's possible with the software today. Not what was announced, not what will be part of it, not what will be fixed sooner or later. The software is what it is. And we all are here at the end of the day because we love what we can achieve with it.

15. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@Christoph
    I pay top dollar to use this software and I work hard for my money.
    If they say we've released a game with new features of BB2 they should have those features period.

Christoph and eyal like this.
  16. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Couldn't agree more. The fact that they are not responding is really annoying.
    What you wrote @Christoph is like saying I will buy photoshop and I will do what I can with what they offer - even if in their ads they are showing that SAVE function is working

17. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

I don't know how I got sucked into this thread... but I gotta leave it alone @Christoph had a point what else can you do, I've spoken my peace, maybe buildbox (the game gods) will hear us. If not that's ok too I can't afford the time and energy if it falls on deaf ears...

We've got games to make!!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Christoph likes this.
  18. cahaya

cahaya Boxer

Sky Concept games.
    Very Big Games. *_^

19. abdussadik

abdussadik Boxer

In the early showcase video of BB2, Trey mentioned about vector graphics, it will support vector graphics to look good designs on every device, but we are here on BB2.2.5 and we still don't have it

20. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I thought @TreySmith mentioned last year that they were working towards releasing this one, Nik's sequel to Sky:
    https://www.buildbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/general1R.png
    I have been waiting to play it. He was going to compete with Nik to see if this one of his (The Pit) got more downloads.
    Not trying to dig up anything here that people may not want to discuss, I just looked forward to the release of this game.