Minimal Graphics Vs Retro Graphics..which One People Love ??

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Jaky1, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Minimal Graphics VS Retro Graphics

1. Minimal Graphics

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Retro Graphics

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Hey,

I am very confused with the idea to use Minimal, Modern, graphics in my game or to use Pixel Art in my game...

My game is Arcade type..Many of the people love the retro pixel art (Look at Flappy Bird)..BUT then people still love and play the minimal(Like Color switch)..But still...I don't know which will be better......

@Christoph @trudnai @heathclose @jcalle --- Opinions Required..:)

Everyone drop your thoughts please.!

Thanks!

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

You can make 2 games with different graphics,
    Or make a menu, selection type of game.

Personally, I prefer minimalist graphics, and modern graphics.

netkomm and Jaky1 like this.
  3. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@jcalle I also thought to make an In-game mode with different Graphics than main.....Would that be right? I mean would people like it?

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Personally I do not like pixel art, simply because I am old enough to play with those games when my Apple ][ had lower screen resolution than any of your sprites :) I like minimal though, but minimal does not mean too simple -- take a look at KetchApp games, minimal designs but most of them has some very fine gradients.

5. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@trudnai yes...I myself like minimal design..I think it is universal and every age person likes it....Retro is liked by the people who grew up in the era of Retro games...

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

For me it is the opposite: I do not like it because I grew up in that era :)

Nihat likes this.
  7. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

It's important to think in your player target. But it is also important to be happy with what you are doing. If you like minimal over retro or every other style then go for the minimal approach. You will enjoy developing much more than to look at something over the course of several weeks, months or years with something you dislike.

jerry likes this.
  9. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@Christoph ...Yes I also think I should go with what I like cuz it will give me motivation to keep up....:)

Christoph likes this.
  10. RSG-Games

RSG-Games Boxer

:) he he he... I am getting less young too... At the time of Spectrum and C64... my first computer was an Apple 2c with is colourful Green Phosphor Monitor :) Did play games on it and even learn to program a few things.. I think in BASIC at that time :)

Jaky1 likes this.
  11. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

No he's right ...

...for a long time I didn't like pixel art either until I played @DeadlySeriousMedia 's cave jumpers that's when I really started to look into it simply because I love that game ...

..living in that era makes it look like we're moving backwards when we've already moved forward so pixel art always had looked depressing to me ...

So then I tried to look into pixel art more and try to understand why people like it and I think it's somewhat because the majority of people playing games that like it didn't grow up with it just like @trudnai says...

But I've turned the corner on pixel art I really like it now between cave jumpers and @appdemon 's Swoopy space they really sold me on what that artform can do ...

I've come to realize it's an art form... And I think the reason it's now an art form is because it's not necessary to look like that anymore , but it used to be , so doing it on purpose is the art form...

That being said your game is art... make your music man... however you want... Let your flag fly

Jaky1 and trudnai like this.
  12. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

I would analyze the top 25 games on App Store using ThinkGaming maybe and then you can see the percentage of art, music and gameplay which will hit the charts. It's a jungle and very difficult to hit on the spot but that always makes it a bit easier. Statistics don't have feelings or lie to you :)

Jaky1 likes this.
  13. guttaavestudios

guttaavestudios Boxer

I'm an artist and animator so I prefer doing the non minimal graphics ,but there's nothing wrong with the minimal art. I always felt that was a way for people that aren't as artistic to be able to still get their ideas across, but in the end a great game is a great game regardless of the graphics

Jaky1 likes this.
  14. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

You gotta love this:

[​IMG]

jerry, Jaky1, Aaron F and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@Christoph indeed.. It is gr8..

@heathclose.. Indeed I think I should go for what i like.. I think the graphics play a vital role but keeping the gameplay at its best, then people will play it for whatever the graphics style are....

@andreas_kviby that's a great thought.. I will surely check the stats..

@guttaavestudios.. That's great, you are an artist.. Can you show us some of your work.. Maybe we can sometime work together.....

16. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Retro graphics have their place and when executed correctly, can deliver a commercially successful game. There's a few 16/8 bit games that I just love so much - Prince of Persia being one and R-Type.

Jaky1 likes this.
  17. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@spicedbeangames ....Yeah..

BUT I can't seem to find any artist which I can work with on a game...Shortage of artists :D

18. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

It's always a challenge to find artists but have a look at places like DevianArt, graphicriver or freelance websites and maybe post a job offer and see what bites.

19. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Yeah deviantart, and dribble...Why I didn't thought of that...

Thanks!

20. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

I chose retro graphics. You choosing retro and minimal as the two choices are kind of limiting. There should be more options. My game "Nano Drug Delivery Challenge", I am using flat graphics (which could be said is minimal but it's not really minimal style like a lot of the ketchapp stuff). I think maybe because I am "old", I like the retro or "pixel" type and am working on a game now that explores that genre. Pixel games like BroForce, Superbrothers, and others are really great pixel art examples.

I don't know if I would choose a style based off of what you think is going to sell best. Choose a style based off of what you like and you think will work best for your game!!! :)

I'm mainly an artist/designer so I like to explore different things. I'm even playing around with a game in hexels style.