Embedding Media In The Buildbox Forums... A Tutorial

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by heathclose, Sep 14, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

So it seems a lot of questions on the forums appear to have visual elements explained that would be more apparent and more likely to get help if accompanied by an image or video... so here is a tutorial on ways to include either/both in your posts...

The most simple way to embed an image is to follow the first response of this thread...

https://www.buildbox.com/forum/inde...e-buildbox-forums-a-tutroial.6899/#post-35886

But for those who use dropbox links, or find the upload file doesn't function as expected, the following will help you...

1. Taking a Screenshot
      • If your question has to do with something "In Game", then the easiest way to get a screenshot of your issue is to use the screenshot button at the top of the preview window when testing your game. If your game is fast paced, you could easily make a pause UI with nothing on it...
        [​IMG]
      • and assign the pause button to a keyboard button...

[​IMG]

• then when the action is paused with your issue on screen... use the screenshot button at the top of the preview window...

[​IMG]
      • this will save a screenshot of your game onto your desktop...

• resize your screenshots so they are easier to see in a browser... for example... the image of the preview window above was resized to 600 tall keeping the aspect ratio

[​IMG]

and the image of the entire buildbox software was resized to 600 wide keeping the aspect ratio

[​IMG]

• If your issue is in the Buildbox software, on a Mac use Shift-Cmd-4 (pressing space bar will capture entire windows), and on a PC use PrintScreen.

2. Taking a Video
      • Mac
        • The easiest way to record a video on a Mac is to use the Quicktime Application... Go to File and select new screen recording

[​IMG]
      • PC
        • Searching Google for "recording video pc free" reveals a plethora of options, including VLC, which you may already have on your pc now, or CamStudio, which is an Open Source screen recorder.

3. Hosting Your Image Media
      • The FREE way to host your media is to use Dropbox. I suggest creating a folder in your dropbox that you never move or mess with and call it "Forum Media" or something obvious. That way, you know not to touch or move something in that folder, as it will break any embedded links in posts that people are either helping you with or learning from.
      • The INEXPENSIVE way (and free for 12 months to start) is to use Amazon S3... but this is often overkill for most forum users when dropbox is free and simple to use.

4. Embedding Your Image Media
      1. Copy your link... From your Dropbox folder, at the end of every item is a share box...

[​IMG]

clicking this will bring up this window... click on create link...

[​IMG]

the window will turn into this window... click on copy link

[​IMG]

from your dropbox application folder on your computer, right click on the item and select copy dropbox link

[​IMG]

2. Embed your link...
        • Click on the "insert image" button in the rich text editor...

[​IMG]

• You will be prompted with the following window.... note the zero at the end of the Dropbox generated link...

[​IMG]

• Change this zero to a 1...

[​IMG]

• Your image will now show in your post... every image in this post is a Dropbox embed.

5. Embedding your Video Media
      • Click on the "insert video" button in the rich text editor...

[​IMG]
      • You will be prompted with the following window...

[​IMG]
      • Note the sources you can embed video from. Using the video options above, export your video and host your it on one of the above sites. Copy your link directly into the window, not changing anything, and click Embed. YouTube is the most popular tool for hosting video, and there are many tutorials on how to open a YouTube account...

I hope this is helpful in preparing you for sharing your issues and ideas visually on the forum. I look forward to "seeing" them.

If I've missed anything, please let me know, I will correct the tutorial.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Nice and very handful, @heathclose!

I would only add that you can upload images to this forum through "Upload a File" button:

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 8.55.16 PM.PNG

Then Choose a file to Upload: Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 8.55.27 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 8.55.53 PM.PNG

And finally you can add the full image to the post, or as a thumbnail or just leave it as an attachment (I usually choose Full Image so ppl can immediately see what you are talking about)
    Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 9.02.32 PM.PNG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  3. heathclose

thanks for that... it seems like a lot of people upload an image and then it just shows an IMG placeholder and/or I see some people complain that the editor won't let them upload at all... any idea why this might be happening when done that way or why people say they can't upload?

wgoodpaster likes this.
  4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I have never had an issue with uploading except when image was too big but you will be notified that image is too big and what is the max size. Then you can resize the image with Preview as you have mentioned or Paintbrush in Windows.

AFAIK IMG placeholder happens if someone tries to embed image through the Image icon without a permanent link to it like a temporary preview link from Google Photos or a link to local computer or maybe when someone tries to drag and drop the image onto the message.

Personally I like the Upload File better because first of all that does not occupy space on my Dropbox, second if I delete the image later on that would also cause an image placeholder on the forum.

wgoodpaster, Christoph and heathclose like this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

One more thing: On a personal message you do not have Upload File, so only your method can be used...

6. heathclose

I have included a link to your walkthrough at the beginning of the tutorial, thank you

Christoph and trudnai like this.
  7. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@heathclose Just a heads up, you misspelled tutorial in your thread title. :rolleyes:

8. heathclose

BWAHAHAHA I sure did.. You should get some kind of prize for being the first to notice... I'll change it...

9. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

I know right! Like.. the world is saved. Imagine what would happen if I didn't notice it :eek:
    I'm waiting for my prize.

10. heathclose

Name it

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

At least 3 scoop of ice cream!

12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Half of your beard!

13. heathclose

by the time i get yous 3 scoops to LA... they would be puddles :p

I think we just found the line in the sand ;)

14. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

See? At first it sounded like an easy request... :)

15. ZikZak

ZikZak Boxer

Warning for CamStudio.. Many users are complaining that it's stuffed with malwares and adwares.

16. heathclose

I have used other programs that if you download from sourceforge, are nasty, but are clean from other places... This might be a sourceforge issue... I'm not really sure, I have never used CamStudio, but the link in the post is direct to CamStudio.org

Thanks for the heads up on that... good catch

ZikZak likes this.
  17. khalid

khalid Avid Boxer

Why I get error when uploading zip file? what type of files are allowed to upload?

18. gmchecks

gmchecks Boxer

19. Cyberlab games

Cyberlab games Boxer

should i make everything a little smaller ?

20. Cyberlab games

Cyberlab games Boxer

im doing 10 scenes endless dont want it to be random and the last scene endless